where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: snotty nares and sneezing

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

snotty nares and sneezing

ok,
    first off, i know it means a cold (or upper resp infection).

the feathers around her nare look a bit gunked up, and she's sneezed about twice in 2 hours

sparks has had an upper resp infection for weeks now. it started in the air sacs, but cleared up after lots of anti-bs. With my vets advice i lowered the baytril dose to wean her off... but he warned me the damage from the infection would make her susceptable to colds and stuff, and gave me a massive amount of baytril ffor this very occaision. she's been seen by the best avian guy in my area for a year or more now.

she's a bit fluffed up, and wasnt too impressed with her dinner of quinoa until i finger fed her some. then she went potty for it and scoffed loads when she remembed what it was. (quinoa is a very high protein pulse btw). she had egg last night for tea. still "preening" her collar

she's been standing tall and vocalisng well, isnt tail bobbing or squeaking too much (damage from air sac infection to consider remeber). (part of me is hoping its just the l ast bit of that) eating well,

so i;ve upped the baytril again, given her lots of ni e protein and will put her to bed early, and keep the house nice and warm. cage is disinfected and i will change the collar cover, and probs take her in the bathroom for a bit of steam (although maybe not as get her damp???)

i will try to call the vet tomorrow, although i want to avoid taking her if possible, as its about a 3 hour round trip usually, and if she's a bit run down from something i knew would probably happen.... its a long tiring trip for her, and i dont expect anything else to be done other than anti-bs....

so i just want to check.... Baytril, protein, warmth, clean cage and collar, good food, mutli-vits, early bedtime. anything else?

-Helen

Thanks

Re: snotty nares and sneezing

Sounds like your doing well. I hope it's nothing more than a little cold.
    "Questions open the door to knowledge."

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

You named them all Helen, poor little Sparky I hope this just all goes away soon. Does she take steam well? If so you can take her into the bathroom and get it all steamy, this I hear helps them breath better but I dont know with her troubles it may just make it worse. Boomer dont tolerate steam anymore so watch her carefully if you do it.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

thanks guys
    i just wanted a bit of reassurance that i've got everything and am doing everything i should. i was kinda expecting the irresponsible owner bashing (well deserved in most cases... but probs not this...)

i wont bother try steaming her. i'll just keep a really close eye, keep her dosed, and give her lots of nice easy to digest foods. right now she's making horrible noises at me and telling me off (in between stuffing her face). me thinks she doesnt approve of her new earlier bedtime lol
    Last edited by pixibubbles; 06-25-2008 at 02:07 PM.

Thanks

Bashing? For what, not wanting to drive 3 hours to the vet who isn't going to do more than you are?

Honestly, it sounds like you've got it as under control as it's gonna get.
    "Questions open the door to knowledge."

Four More Babies Hatched! Jojo's zoo's Avatar
    Name
    Joanna
    Thanks

Ooooh lordy, Sparks, get better soon! Poor Helen and poor Sparky!

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

(((((((((((brandon)))))))) (((((((((((((Dea))))))))))))))))) ((((((((((((((((jojo)))))))))))))))))

thanks for the good thoughts xxxx and for understanding. hour and some there. time at vets. hour and something back, knocks her wlel out her routine, and by the time we get back she's usually falling over tired

i mean if i see anything else... straight there, ditto if i thought they could do more than what i am... but like you said... i'm (sadly) pretty expereinced in respitory infections now

if only the little booger wouldnt spit the meds back out sigh if no improvement tommorow i will dump a few ml in her water too, but i think spiking the millet works usually.... just twice the amount as if in beak

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

You're doing everything I would do. Hopefully she kicks this once and for all!