Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Here I Am! Hatched! aria_vanyel's Avatar
    Name
    Ksandra
    Thanks

Eagle Art Project

Hello TF! I just wanted to share some of my "Eagle Art" to you Bird enthusiasts Figured you guys might like it. Some of you may remember when I was taking several freebies and drawing your birds? I'm sorry I never finished them all... I got busy and after a while I kind of forgot But maybe I'll take a few here and there.

***You can skip this and get straight to the pictures below if you want ***

Anyway- I've been slowly working on a project that I feel needs to be completed. I had a dream about it once, and had the strongest desire to paint it. Now, I'm no good with paints, but I've been drawn toward this idea of painting this picture. My dad further encouraged me when I told him about it, and then told him about my "visits" from an eagle on 3 occasions (in a row). He told me it was a sign, that native americans believe that when you see a sign (specifically an animal sign) 3 times in a row it generally means something. And maybe this strong desire to paint this picture and the three eagle visits means I am supposed to paint this.

Now I'm not sure if you believe in all of that. But I do. Considering that, at first it did seem like a coincidence that an eagle flew right by my car that morning. I was on my way home from work at 9am and right in front of me drops a bald eagle from out of nowhere. It then soared off close to the ground. But it flew RIGHT in front of my car. It was a beautiful sight and something I thought was a once in a life time experience for me... Well, the next day, again I was on my way home from work. From the corner of my eye I spotted a big black shadow flying along the road near my car. Again it was within eye level. It turned and swooped, flying across the road in front of me again! Wow! Amazing! Now the third time this happened, was again, the next day. My dad decided to go to Casper (which is like a 3 hour drive) and took me along in-case I needed to drive for him. I was talking to him about some random nonsense and as I look over at him, I notice something outside the window............ Yes, that's right. A Bald Eagle within eye level. Of course it was gone in a flash before my dad could stop and look. But it was there! It was at this time I felt I needed to tell my dad about the visits, the dream, and the strongest urge to paint that dream. Was I really meant to paint this?

Well, by now your probably wondering what it is that I'm wanting to paint... Well it kind of started with my art teacher handing out pamphlets about an art contest held at a college... To win a scholarship one must create a patriotic painting, poster, or other art project. Well first I thought, "oh well... something with a flag and an eagle would be great". That night I wasn't thinking too much of it, I didn't think I would have a chance anyway! The next day, I didn't remember much of the dream, but one image stuck out in my mind... A painting of an eagle, its wings fading into the image of the american flag with the sun setting behind, a peace pipe clutched in its talons tightly.

Well, I still have the desire to paint it. I have just been nervous about doing so. First off, I know there is a lot I need to work out in my art style to get to the level I want to. Second, I know I'm horrible at painting. This is something that needs to be done in oils... I've only used oils once in my life and I hated them. Pastels would be too bright and would dry too quickly. I need a big canvas, not something small like I'm used to working with. So this painting is really going to push me to the limits!

So I've been practicing and practicing on my eagle drawings. Learning how they are shaped, experimenting with different tones and whatnot. I have only turned out 2 really nice ones that I'm proud of. The others are all sketchy and never looked right, so I never scanned them. They're safely tucked away into a sketchbook back at home for the time being.

Well here are the images:

This one took me hours and hours of work late at night. I don't think I got to bed that night until 4 in the morning! The original looks MUCH better, the scanner just... kind of killed it all. But its a very awesome picture. It was going to be the full eagle, but after hours of working on the upper body, by the time I reached the back, I just got lazy and blended it all in the back.
    Now, this is actually the sort of effect I'd like to go for in my painting. I want the american flag, strong and bright at the start, then slowly fading, but the eagle is also slowly fading into existence at the point that the flag starts to fade out. So it would look similar to this, only where the black is on this, the flag would be. And I would also put the legs coming out as well, faded at first, but strong and bright as it grips the pipe firmly.

This one only took me about an hour or so. I was sitting here last night doodling. I wanted to play around with my more "serious" art style but couldn't think of what to draw. So I doodled up an eagle's head and decided that I didn't feel like using graphite. So I used like 5 different shades of gray Prismacolor markers. I love these things SO much . But yeah, this didn't turn out too bad. Considering it was two in the morning when I did this so you cant blame me.

Questions? Comments? Please share! I think I'm getting better at art... and a little better at eagles. (I hope)
    *~Be yourself- nobody is better qualified~*

Thanks

Re: Eagle Art Project

I will read later, I just looked at your great drawings. Did you add ink to the second one because it really pops! When I used to sketch and draw I loved adding ink at the end because it just makes the lines much sharper with the higher contrast.

Anyways, they both look great! Thanks for sharing.
    "Questions open the door to knowledge."

Here I Am! Hatched! aria_vanyel's Avatar
    Name
    Ksandra
    Thanks

Did you add ink to the second one because it really pops! When I used to sketch and draw I loved adding ink at the end because it just makes the lines much sharper with the higher contrast.
    The second one is done in all prismacolor marker compared to the first which was done only in graphite. I did use a sharpie to go over the eye because I really wanted it to draw attention and also on the darker feathers below the neck too because the shades werent as dark as I would have liked them.

Thanks ^_^
    *~Be yourself- nobody is better qualified~*

Thanks

Oh gotcha. That explains it.
    "Questions open the door to knowledge."

Red-tailed hawk Five Eggs Laid!
    Thanks

Heck, yeah, I believe in that stuff.

When an animal shows up, and keeps showing up, I try to figure out just what it is they are telling me. If I don't get it, they will continue to show up and if I do get it, generally, they stop showing up as much. However, they will show up in the future again, when I need to be reminded of the same lesson.

Also... as anyone here could guess, birds of prey are what I feel closest to. I love all creatures, but its birds I feel a connection to - particularly, the birds of prey. Usually when a creature comes to show me something, it's a bird of some kind (though not necessarily a bird of prey). Lately, it's been doves telling me to relax, breathe and be serene in dealing with my current stresses, which are about to resolve themselves.

Among my bird of prey "totems," I have both golden and bald eagles, red-tailed hawks, American Kestrels and turkey vultures. Those are more permanent ones that I'm aware of, anyway. I do have a few temporary ones (like the doves) which only come every now and then, though.

I also believe I was a red-tailed hawk in a past life. *runs from the pitchforks and torches* Anyway... if you ever want to talk about that sorta stuff, feel free to PM me.

But, shoot. Those are beautiful! I've been trying to get more into drawing birds of prey lately - I did draw a kestrel recently - but it's been very hard to stay motivated.

I'd like my next drawing to be of Sammy, my red-tailed hawk friend at the raptor center I volunteer at.