where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Which Bird(s) is easiest to tame

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Oliver
    Thanks

Which Bird(s) is easiest to tame

Im just wondering which is easyier to tame and handle.

And i'm talking about like Budgies,Love Birds, Macaws and other Keets and Parrots

Thanks

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Re: Which Bird(s) is easiest to tame

eeermm... i think any bird can be tamed. especially if hand fed.
    if you mean parent raised bird, without any issues regarding humans, thne it takes longer, but still any bird can be tamed. some, like ring necks, are known to be shyer than others, so need more patience.

Lovebirds, compared to keets for exmaple, tend to be quite head strong and need firm handling. I find male budgies are easier to tame than females, but i've had some amzing female budgies- they seemed to take a little longer.

teils are very friendly and easily tamed, as are budgies. the only other birds i have worked with have been rescues/re-habs so had reasons to dislike humans and be scared, so cant really compare

these are all crass generalisations. what makes the difference is the perosnality of the birds, its surroundings, and how you work with it.

Can i ask why you are asking? maybe if the question is more specific, we can answer better a macaw is VERY different to a bug you could get a nervous budgie who takes a lot of work, and a macaw who is confident and happy with you very fast... but the budgie couldnt bite through your finger... so it kind of depends one what you mean by easy too...

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

All those birds you listed are parrots, fyi.

I don't think that species matters so much as the way that they are raised. Any bird can be "tamed" with enough time put into it, the ease of it is really going to depend on the birds past.

٩(●̮̮̃̃)۶ Four More Babies Hatched! Skittles's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren
    Thanks

I agree with Rachel.

Cockatiels seem to be very forgiving and throw lots of love their owner's way.

I have only ever had Budgies and Lovebirds. My budgies were somewhat hand tame and after my old one (Dandy) had his companion Petrie pass away, he reverted to being entirely nasty Poor guy.

My two lovebirds, Kirby and Skittles, are both hand tame and would take up your offer to ride in a pocket or shoulder. Kirby was the hardest thing to bond with, as I really truly honestly, had NO idea what the hell i was doing with him hahaha.
    (Skittles came to me hand tame, and from day1 of having her, she was grooming me and begging to be pet )
    But Lovebirds are an entirely new ball game than any other parrot. But they're also more rewarding than some parrots.

I've had a Macaw owner so nervous around my lovebirds because he was intimidated by them

I would strongly suggest getting your research done before getting your first bird! And I'm glad you asked us And out of the birds you listed, definitely a two-thumbs-up for a cockatiel.

Name
    Derick
    Thanks

All those birds you listed are parrots, fyi.

Thanks

Cockatiels are the most trusting and quickly bonding birds, IMO.
    "Questions open the door to knowledge."

Name
    di
    Thanks

I am with Brandon on this too but I am biased, lol

Cream of Cockatiel Tailfeather sammit's Avatar
    Name
    Sam
    Thanks

lovies are amazing to bond with but for a first pet id be considering the teil. theyre quieter than most parrots and dont really make much mess.

"im now under the impression that sarcasm is the body's natural defence against stupid" - sam

http://sammitshomecooking.blogspot.com/

Hatching
    Name
    Jake
    Thanks

^ ****, other parrots must be super messy. Mine are worse than a hungry drunk let loose in the kitchen

Cream of Cockatiel Tailfeather sammit's Avatar
    Name
    Sam
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melkor View Post
    ^ ****, other parrots must be super messy. Mine are worse than a hungry drunk let loose in the kitchen
    haha my lovies threw stuf EVERYWHERE with no respect to their human, and my loris loved destroying any type of carpet, vegetable matter, paper or my flesh and on most days my cutlery would be all across the floor because one liked flying to the dish rack and pulling all the clean stuff out. all but one of my loris loved getting drunk (sour grapes!). and my last lori screamed the house down if he couldnt have the occasional bit of coke. my teils the cleanest bird i have ever had (except she ate my partners tax statement!)

"im now under the impression that sarcasm is the body's natural defence against stupid" - sam

http://sammitshomecooking.blogspot.com/

Red-tailed hawk Five Eggs Laid!
    Thanks

I'm not going to jump in and say cockatiel, mainly because I don't have enough experience with other birds yet (except for budgies), and because our cockatiel was from a rescue. She came to us trained how to step up, but her actual trust in us has taken a long time, as her past was less than pleasant.

Cockatiels can definitely become sweethearts, though, and are easy to take care of.

Some types of birds are shyer than others (I'm not sure exactly what all of those are), so it could take a little longer for those birds - but any type of parrot-bird can be tamed, in my opinion. It also depends on the individual bird itself, and not just the species.

Frybird = Flybird Teenager jokulhlaup's Avatar
    Name
    jamie
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sammit View Post
    my teils the cleanest bird i have ever had (except she ate my partners tax statement!)
    did she find a few errors in it? is she for hire? i could use some accounting help

but i agree with RedFeather...any bird can be tamed, it just depends on how much time you can devote to it, and obviously you need to think about other factors like noise, size, mess, etc. my guess is you'll come across a bird who just grabs your heart, and there ya go....
    rip percy, isabella, and little oliver. i will never forget you...