Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Seeking Advice: Getting Sun Tomorrow

Name
    Lori
    Thanks

Seeking Advice: Getting Sun Tomorrow

I am FINALLY getting my sun conure tomorrow. I am so excited. I am hoping you all can help me out. I want to know what I should do the first few days. Should I:
    A. Leave him alone in the cage for a few days (the pet store owner is loaning me the cage he has been living in. I don't want to freak him out by going from a smaller cage to a huge one. (Which I did end up splurging and going for the cage that is two more sizes up from the picture I posted previously.)
    B. Try to handle and love on him right away
    C. Just let him sit on my shoulder or
    D. None of the above.....take your advice.....which is____________________
    Thanks to all that read and reply. I really appreciate your help.
    I'm so excited!!!!!!!!
    Excited Future Sun Mom

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

Re: Seeking Advice: Getting Sun Tomorrow

I think I gave my new birds a few days to settle in, but I would go talk to them and stuff through the cage. Both were very tame when I got them though, so it wasn't a huge deal to start getting them out.

After he seems settled in, I would start to offer him treats in the cage, or ask him to step up and let him hang out with you. It really depends on the bird though. If he's freaked out about coming out, let him have more time to settle in, if he's ready to come out right away, let him come out.

Name
    di
    Thanks

I agree with LC. Mine (a tiel) went into his new cage straight away as he came in a box with airholes. As he has to adapt to a new environment anyway I would personally put him in the new cage, along with anything familiar toys, swing etc that he likes in the new cage as well. I would then try talking to him, seeing his reations. Some birds take time to settle in and others don't. Angel wanted to be on me from day 1. I have had other ones who didn't want to know me.

Name
    Barb
    Thanks

I think it really depends on the bird. My baby was so needy right when we brought him inside and all he wanted to do was snuggle in our necks. He was a bit scared to be in his cage, because he didn't know where the heck he was. All he knew was love from his breeder, who gave him tons of attention, so that is what he wanted from us as soon as he got home too. I think you will be able to read what is best for the new bird. If he is a baby, he might want to be with you, if he is an adult he might want to be left alone.

We do need pictures (cough, cough!!!)....

Name
    Lori
    Thanks

Thanks for the help. I will post pictures as soon as I get him home and settled. By what time it is right now (6:00 am) you can tell that I am excited. I am usually a late sleeper......and I can't even get him until after 10 this morning. Oh, the anticipation.
    Luckily, Tango was handfed so he is used to people. I also visited him SEVERAL times so hopefully he will be a bit familiar with me.
    Thanks again!
    Excited Future Sun Mom

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

I would offer him some attention and see if he wants it. They often need to settle in, but sometimes you have a bird who wants to be picked up from the get-go.

When I picked up Wesley, he was velcro bird from the first five minutes. But then, Wesley is mildly insane.
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Name
    Lori
    Thanks

YAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! I got Tango and he is a super sweetie. He steps up immediately when I tell him while he is in his cage. He gives me kisses and loves to be scratched on the head. He is so sweet, and not to mention beautiful. I will post some pictures later today. My whole family loves him/her already. Thanks for the advice!
    Excited Future Sun Mom

Name
    Gail
    Auberry CA in the mountains above Fresno CA
    Thanks

Since he/she will be in "adjustment mode" for a while - I would start out with the new cage. Why have him adjust to home with the old cage and then have to go through an adjustment again with the new cage later?
    I wouldn't open the cage and let him out unless he looks/acts like he wants out.
    Remember - you have to put him back in and if he is suddenly freaked - you'll have to catch him and just that action might scare him.
    Sit as close to him as possible and read to him in a soft voice. Start calling his name (if you have one) and spend as much time around him as possible. Also, talk to him from other rooms so he knows you're there and can learn your voice and other noises.
    Maybe cover his cage on three sides so he isn't over stimulated by all the goings on. Each day uncover one side so he has more to look at.
    You're going to have so much fun - Sun's are really "interactive".

Brand New Egg
    Name
    erika
    Thanks

If your sun conure is a bit tame, and will step up then what I did with my baby Tequila is I got her to her room and before showing her her cage I just held her, and waited for her to loosen up some. All the while talking to her.

After she began looking around and nibbling my fingers I walked around the room really slowly, talking to her about the different things.

after I was satisfied she was less nervous I showed her her cage and let her inside.

This technique worked perfectly for me, and I felt she was more confident in her new surroundings.