where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: hair straightener - PTFE???

Frybird = Flybird Teenager jokulhlaup's Avatar
    Name
    jamie
    Thanks

hair straightener - PTFE???

hi everyone...i've had a little bit of a concern recently. my sister has been using a hair straightener, and when she does, i can smell it in the hallway that goes between the bedrooms (my bedroom is the bird room). the bird room door is always closed, and there is an air purifier/filter on at all times...when i go in, i can no longer smell anything. however i am still concerned that the straightener contains PTFE...does anyone have any knowledge about them?? i know it's a ceramic straightener, but i wouldn't be surprised to find it has some sort of non-stick coating...

any help is appreciated!!
    rip percy, isabella, and little oliver. i will never forget you...

Snuggled, not stirred Teenager BridgeyRoo's Avatar
    Name
    Bridget H. Shea
    Thanks

Re: hair straightener - PTFE???

Are you sure what you are smelling is not the hair product? Due to the heat of the straightener it is recommended to use a protective agent on your hair and often that "burns" off a bit while you are straightening. I use my ceramic straightener in a bathroom off the living room where my birds are. On occasion I can smell it in the bathroom but it does not translate outside. Most high quality straighteners are ceramic or ceramic plated (low-quality) and for the length of time used I don't think should pose an issue.

I pulled out my owner's manual and here's what it says:
    This iron features rapid infrared Ray heating from Ceramic heater, and uses the ceramic coated paddles to protect hair condition.

I also did a search...most good straighteners are ceramic or tourmalin and those do not have telfon in them. However, it would appear that some straighteners have telfon coated plates to keep hair from sticking to the plates. I would check the particular straightener if you are that concerned and then perhaps ask your sister to use it in a well-ventilated area, if needed. If you find out the brand/name, you can just google it and it will come up (or the name + telfon). Mine is defintiely not, and neither is the one I had before and they are from both ends of the price range.

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

I have a ceramic straightener, but I'm not sure if that means for sure there isn't teflon, although I imagine it would.

I think that even the burning hair product would be dangerous for the birds if you can smell it where they are (I know you said you can't).

I only use mine in the bathroom upstairs, with the door shut, but I don't put anything in my hair before hand (sometimes I bit of shine spray) and never smell anything (well, actually the straightener did smell when it was new...).

My sister uses her ceramic one all the time in her room and I never smell anything from it.

Maybe your sister can keep the fan on in the bathroom while she uses the straightener?

Name
    Kirsty
    Thanks

Most of them out these days are ceramic. Mine is stainless steel.

The smell you would have smelt would have been the product. For sure.

Caique Crazy! Tailfeather BareFootAviary's Avatar
    Name
    Briana
    Thanks

Yes, hair straighteners can have PTFE in them, though it doesn't mean her's does for sure. I would suggest telling your sis to shut the bird room door before using hers, just to be safe.
    "I'd rather be the one in love than to be loved and never even known."

Signature made by Emery!
    My Aviary's Website
    Current Parrot Jewelry in stock!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Carissa uses her out in our laundry room because the fans dont get the smell out of here, our house is tiny and anything that smells goes everywhere. I read about many of them having PTFE and to me it just isnt worth the risk here so she does it in the cold laundry room... yes I am sort of evil.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Frybird = Flybird Teenager jokulhlaup's Avatar
    Name
    jamie
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    Carissa uses her out in our laundry room because the fans dont get the smell out of here, our house is tiny and anything that smells goes everywhere. I read about many of them having PTFE and to me it just isnt worth the risk here so she does it in the cold laundry room... yes I am sort of evil.
    nah, not evil, just a good parront!

well, thanks for all the feedback. as i said, i keep the bird room closed up, but i will ask my sis to open a window/ use a fan just in case. actually she's moving out later this month, so no problems after that!
    rip percy, isabella, and little oliver. i will never forget you...

Remove Ads