where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: question on food

Hybrid View

Name
    Sheila
    Thanks

question on food

i was just wondering if your conures prefer the colored pellets or the natural brown colored pellets?

Mom to 5 cockatiels: Sammie,Charlie, Peanut, Merlin and Cosmo and 1 Green Cheek Conure: Petrie

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Re: question on food

Rosco likes both. He HATES the fruity ones, though. I get him the Zupreem Avian Entres, because that's the only one he'll eat. He just won't eat the bigger pellets, only the smaller ones, lol. Weird little bird, that one.

Name
    Barb
    Thanks

I am convinced all birds are weird eaters.

Darwin eats the zupreem in his cage (in color order by the way ), and harrisons on his playstand. Don't get me wrong both are always offered, but he chooses to eat one at one location only. And he completely turns his beak on the zupreem natural ones (or any small pellets too...).

What slaves we are.

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barb View Post

Darwin eats the zupreem in his cage (in color order by the way ), and harrisons on his playstand. Don't get me wrong both are always offered, but he chooses to eat one at one location only. And he completely turns his beak on the zupreem natural ones (or any small pellets too...).

What slaves we are.
    That is too funny. Rosco isn't nearly that bad! He won't touch the harrisons, though. Or anything that isn't the Zupreem Wild and Spicy cockatiel... which they discontinued. I don't know what I am going to do when I run out. I ran to every store I could when I found out and bought every single bag. I have about a bag and a half left.

Crazy for Conures & Poi's Teenager Stephie's Avatar
    Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RoughCollies View Post
    That is too funny. Rosco isn't nearly that bad! He won't touch the harrisons, though. Or anything that isn't the Zupreem Wild and Spicy cockatiel... which they discontinued. I don't know what I am going to do when I run out. I ran to every store I could when I found out and bought every single bag. I have about a bag and a half left.
    I don't show the wild and spicy being discontinued - they have it available for small birds and parrots

http://www.zupreem.com/animal/bird/n..._entrees.shtml

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stephie View Post
    I don't show the wild and spicy being discontinued - they have it available for small birds and parrots

http://www.zupreem.com/animal/bird/n..._entrees.shtml
    Huh... I went to 5 different pet stores and all of them told me it was. Interesting. I am completely relieved now, lol. Phew, I'll just have to order it. I was afraid I would not be able to get him to eat at all.

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

I personally don't agree with feeding colored pellets. They may help convert to pellets from seeds, but it is best to switch them over the uncolored pellets as soon as you can.

Name
    Shannon
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barb View Post

What slaves we are.
    Color order? That is hilarious! Diego won't eat anything that's wet. Do you know how difficult it is to serve vegetables that aren't at least damp?!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Cricket View Post
    I personally don't agree with feeding colored pellets. They may help convert to pellets from seeds, but it is best to switch them over the uncolored pellets as soon as you can.
    Maybe you've been lucky, because no matter what I tried with Diego I couldn't get him to touch any natural pellets. They all wound up in the back yard to feed wild birds, and they loved them!

Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

I hear ya - I don't know what I would do if they discontinued the fruity zupreem...that's the only thing mine will eat. I've tried the natural pellets, then the wild and spicy and they ate them for a while but then they stopped...now they all eat their fruity zupreem.

Name
    Sheila
    Thanks

we got petri some kaytee exact rainbow pellets and some nutriberries treats and some ecotriton seed mix. and i did see the wild and spicy for tiels at our local pet store! i remember thinking..how interesting and wondered just how spicy it was LOL!

Mom to 5 cockatiels: Sammie,Charlie, Peanut, Merlin and Cosmo and 1 Green Cheek Conure: Petrie

Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

Sheila, a lot of people on this board aren't fans of Kaytee - they say the food smells like chemicals when they open the bag, I guess it has something to do with the preservatives. I have never bought it for my fids, but that's because everyone of them has already been on a diet of either roudybush pellets or zupreem pellets.

If they have Zupreem at your store you might want to pick that up to see if your fids like it!

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

Kaytee is crap. Everything they make really should be avoided, bird food, rat food, treats, all of it. It has ethoxyquin, and in general is just bad, bad, bad. Honestly, a good seed mix is probably better then Kaytee anything.

Ecotrition also isn't really a good brand. It's made by 8 in 1 I think? Most pet stores don't sell good seed brands. I like Avian Naturals seed, but there are some other good ones, such as Volkmans.

Remove Ads