Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new cage cover! (edited for DIY)

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

My new cage cover! (edited for DIY)

I got sick of having to wrap the sheet around the cage and clipping it with hair ties so I decided to make my own. After measuring around the cage ( I decided to only do the two sides and front that way there is more air circulation for Gus)I went to it. I had help from three people my boyfriend for the wonderful idea, my mom for being so tough and putting her muscles behind the hammer and my good friend for helping with the overall outcome and perfectness. Anyways here are the pictures.

Full cage with the new cover:

The shower curtain rings are perfect length so Gus cannot get to them from inside the cage.

Step by step directions for cage cover:

1. Measure the cage in question in all directions you want the cover to cover… I only wanted the front and two sides so I measured all the sides separate then measured then all together just to double check. I like to measure what seems like 10 times before actually going to the fabric store or cutting.
    EX: I have the medium play top and the measurements were… sides- 23 ¾inches each and the front was 31 ½ inches. From the top to the bottom was 35 ½ inches. You would rather over estimate and buy to much then not enough you can always make something out of it.

2. Gather all materials
    Go to local fabric store and pick out the cutest fabric you can find. And get the amount you need. I had them cut it as one huge piece that way I would have less sewing to do and so it would give a cleaner look. I bought 2 ¼ yards of material and I barely had any left. Also something to keep in mind make sure the width of it is wide enough so you do not have to sew extra on. This will help a lot.
    *I put a lining on the back to block out extra light and to make sure he doesn’t eat through the outside. If you need to buy this just buy the same amount of fabric as you did the pattern. This is completely up to you.
    Then pick up shower curtain hooks (rings will not work.) you can find these at any home décor store I got mine from a local bed bath and beyond. The ones I got were stainless steel only because they were the only ones cool enough for Gus. Make sure to take in to account if your birdie will be able to get to them. In my case, he cannot get to the hooks so I could have gotten any kind including the cute kid’s plastic ones.
    You will also need a grommet tool and your choice of grommets. In my cover you cannot even see them because of the shower curtain hooks.

3. Find a big open spot and your sewing machine and utensils and it’s time to get to work.
    Here's the good stuff.

*If you choose not to have a lining or bought a fabric with lining already skip to next step, step 4

Covers that need liners- you will first need to sew the lining to the pattern. For this to look super good I recommend the following technique. If you have a better way by all means do what you know best:

Lay lining flat. Put pattern fabric on top- good side facing down towards the lining. You will sew almost all the way around the outside leaving about a foot not sewn. I made that spot on the bottom since is was going to be so low no one would be able to see it any ways. After you have sewn you will need to cut the extra pieces away to reduce bulk. The cover will look as though it is inside out. Reach in the hole you left and gently pull the cover right side. I like to refer to this kind of like a pillow case. I always iron after this that way all corners and edges look clean.
    Now you can hand sew or carefully machine sew that spot you left open and you are good to go.

Once you have completed the lining or you chose not to do one you are ready to put grommets in.

4. All tools are different so make sure to follow the instructions given to you with the tool. You can pick where ever you want to put the grommets. I put mine in very detailed because I am a perfectionist and if they were not exact it would bother me. Do what you think looks good or would be the best design for your cage.

Here is a DIY I found on grommets. This is the tool we used. Make sure to put some muscle in it. http://www.curbly.com/ModHomeEcTeach...ommet-Workshop

Slip in shower curtain hooks and hang!
    Last edited by tashafreewoman; 08-23-2008 at 04:59 PM. Reason: DIY

Name
    Dick
    Thanks

Re: My new cage cover!

Neat! Clever idea....

Baby
    Thanks

Wow! It looks like it works really well... I like the pattern too. If only my cage cover worked that well! Usually I just throw a blanket over the cage...

gettin' married! Found a Mate FreudianSlip's Avatar
    Name
    Aerrica
    Thanks

Wow! Excellent idea and job. It looks great!

Now, we all need step by step instructions so we can make one too!
    Even a small bird requires a large commitment!

Name
    Patty
    Thanks

That is really cool! What a great idea and how functional!

Thanks for sharing!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I'll make some directions and post them up top in the original post that way they are easiest to find. It will be a little but I'll get them there.
    Thanks for all the wonderful comments!

Cortney Egg's Cracking... cortneyt's Avatar
    Name
    Cortney
    Thanks

Wow!!!! Great job! Can't wait for the directions!

I was just thinking...could you also uses magnets instead of the shower curtain rings?
    Last edited by cortneyt; 08-23-2008 at 04:04 PM.

Privacy please! I'm Found a Mate sarahmom22's Avatar
    Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

Very cool...I've been using bedsheets...but would definitely like a more "custom" look

٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ Four More Babies Hatched! Skittles's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren
    Thanks

Very neat!!! well done! I love how the shower rings can simply just slide to the side

I've been using a bed sheet doubled up for more "blackout" time haha. My bird's night cage is on the floor, so having fancy rings like that is pointless!

I love the idea though and it looks great!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cortneyt View Post
    Wow!!!! Great job! Can't wait for the directions!

I was just thinking...could you also uses magnets instead of the shower curtain rings?
    I was actually thinking about using magnets at first but I couldnt find any solid information to tell me if it was safe. Also, my boyfriend pointed out magnets can lose the magnetic power so you would have to keep replacing them. Another worry about magnets was finding strong enough ones to hold the fabric up.

Cortney Egg's Cracking... cortneyt's Avatar
    Name
    Cortney
    Thanks

Re: My new cage cover! (edited for DIY)

Very very true!

I'm not a Muggle! Brand New Egg KeaSnax's Avatar
    Name
    Mel
    Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry! (Ontario)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_purple_budgie View Post
    Wow! It looks like it works really well... I like the pattern too. If only my cage cover worked that well! Usually I just throw a blanket over the cage...

haha same here!
    Please help me in the fight against breast cancer as I participate in the CIBC Run for the Cure on Oct. 5th!
    Thanks to off-line contributions, I only have $6 more to go to reach my fundraising goal!!!

Name
    Jaden
    Thanks

I've seen bird cage covers for sale (I think drs foster and smith) that use magnets. I think they sew them into the fabric, so you can't see them, and neither can the birds.

I believe in the big bang theory. God spoke and BANG! it happened.

Life is short, just smile Hatched! Maryacr's Avatar
    Name
    Mary
    Thanks

Man that is really nice.
    How much are you charging?
    What a good idea and it sure beats me bringing the sheet down, folding it, puting it away, then pulling it back out, and then back away... oh sorry I got lost in the routine

Name
    Katherine
    Thanks

It looks wonderful! I was thinking about buying a new cage cover, but maybe I will make one

ULII & CALISTO

Remove Ads