Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Sad.. death of his mate...

Name
    Diana Edgar
    Thanks

Unhappy Sad.. death of his mate...

I haven't posted for a long time, but now I need advice. My honeymooning birdshave moved to the awful stage of life. These 2 have been a mated pair for more than 10 years. On the 27th, Pearl died. She was friendly, happy, active - even mating the hour before she got sick. I had already covered them up for the night - they won't be quiet at bedtime unless they are. And then I heard what sort of sounded like sneezing, but when I looked, she was at the highest point of her cage with her head clear back - like her tongue was looking at the ceiling. And making a wheezy, clicking sort of breathing sound. Didn't look like she was breathing very well at all. So I held her while my DH got on the phone to find a place to take her. She didn't respond to my voice or touch. Just labored to breathe. Then maybe 2 minutes into this crisis, she had a spasm(?) - spread her wings, brought her head to her chest and curled up her feet. Then she died. It was awful.
    I can't afford a necropsy. None of the other (5) birds seem sick, although we will be taking them for a check up, it is just a mystery.
    So now I need to know what I can do for Shadow, the grieving widower! His cage is right next to the other birds. He spends hours yelling. Peep! Peep! Loud and persistent. I talk to him, refresh his food and water and give treats. He seems to be eating normally, moving around as usual.
    So ... his mourning seems to consist of shrieking for long periods of time. HOW CAN I HELP HIM FEEL BETTER? This would be before I go deaf or crazy from the noise?
    Should I rearrange his cage, give him new/different toys? Move the cage to another spot in the room or another room?
    Well, this pretty much covers my deal. Thanks in advance for good ideas.

Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Re: Sad.. death of his mate...

Hey Diana. I dont have any advice, but I read your post and couldn't just go about my day. I wanted to tell you how sorry I am for the loss of your beloved friend. It must have been heartbreaking for you to hold her while she died. I'm sure it was comforting for her though, to be held by someone who loves her so much. I hope you and Shadow are ok. I'll keep you both in my thoughts. Feel better

Name
    Diana Edgar
    Thanks

Lisa, thanks for the reply. Yes, holding her was way better than watching her die in her cage. Now I'm telling my grade school age kids about how happy she is flying around with other birds from our past. That and being free, doing flyby pecks at the cats up there in pet heaven.....
    Amazing what our minds invent for comfort.
    Diana

Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Awww... a very sweet thought for the kids. I would get comfort from that too!

Name
    Ronnie
    Thanks

I went through the same thing when Beaky died. She had the same symptoms. She had a heart attack or stroke (the vet wasn't really sure). There was nothing that could have been done, it was too fast. She also died in my hands.

Mun Ki yelled the same way for about a week. I also spoiled him as much as I could. He will grieve as long as he wants, but he will get over it.

I sympathize with you, I know how it feels to hear how heartbroken the male is. Just know, he will get over it. Just give him lots of love, he will appreciate it.

Name
    Diana Edgar
    Thanks

Unhappy Re: Sad.. death of his mate...

Your papa bird lost his mate too? It is just sad. So when she died, did you get a necropsy? A heart attack or stroke sounds at least normal. My DH thought maybe she was choking at the time, but the vet we talked to on the phone said no. But she wouldn't guess what it might have been, either.
    I read (somewhere) about the surviving bird tearing out feathers, refusing to eat... and dying. I was very worried about that at first, but he hasn't plucked or stopped eating. I think I'll get him a brand new toy - as opposed to one of the many toys I cycle thru to keep things different.
    We have 2 unrelated females that were given to me at odd times. My kids think I should put one of them in there with Shadow, but I don't know if that will ever be a good idea, but for sure not for quite a while. Do you know anything about that?
    ps I just love this group. Maybe I should hang out even when I don't have a crisis!

Name
    Ronnie
    Thanks

I didn't need to get a necropsy. She had been under a vets care for years and he had warned me about her. You see, she was an overachiever when it came to eggs. We had tried many things, short of an operation, to get her to stop laying. None of them were fertile, since she was always in her own cage and was always let out alone. I had no intention of breeding and made it stick.

She had put so much strain on her body, we knew that she would have a short life. Because of that, I got another tiel about a year before she died (another male), and let Mun Ki know that he wasn't alone.

Unless you intend to breed, the females can stay in their own cage. Just put the two cages together, and he will be fine. Just keep an eye on him that he continues eating. Spoil him with his favorite foods and lots of lovin'.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    rebekah
    Thanks

Im so sorry. i hope things get better for you and shadow.xxx

Red-tailed hawk Five Eggs Laid!
    Thanks

Aww. I'm sure things will get better for Shadow. He's grieving just like you are.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Sherry
    Thanks

Gee, I am so sorry. My 4 babies are covered right now and this makes me want to go uncover them and hold them close

Remove Ads