Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Need Help: Lovebird eye infection

I have 2 female peach faced lovebirds (a mother and daughter). The mother has recently developed what could possibly be an eye infection. Her left eye is closing slightly and seems to be slightly swollen and her eyelid is partially closed. All other indication would be she appears healthy. (Normal appetite, active, resting one one foot)
    I do not live near a proper avian veterinarian.

Does anyone have any credible suggestions as to how can I can remedy this?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

Re: Need Help: Lovebird eye infection

Is there any vet you can get to? If it is an infection, she'll need antibiotics.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

As I indicated in my message, I do not reside near a qualified avian veterinarian.

Loki - love in bird form Four More Babies Hatched! peachee's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Are you positive it is not sinusitis? Here is some info:

Birds have a very complicated sinus system with lots of interconnecting pockets making an ideal site for disease to grow and spread.*Infections can start in one site and move through the sinus system to attack most areas of the skull. A severe infection means that many affected birds will die without treatment.

Those birds you see that have swollen eyes or a discharge from the eye and nostril generally have a form of sinusitis. Sometimes the whole side of the face is swollen and the eye is shut. At other times there will be a distinct swelling just above the eye. Any sort of nasal discharge, clear or coloured normally points to sinus involvement.

A peculiarity of birds is the formation of a hard cheesy matter instead of liquid pus. This is critical to the understanding of sinusitis because this hard material cannot drain out of the sinus. Once it is formed it is locked into the sinus giving a place for infection to hide.

Birds with sinusitis are always sick birds.

Treatment for a MILD infection requires antibiotics; more severe infections can require surgery in which the built up material is scarped and flushed from the sinus then put on antibiotics.

Either way, any infection won't simply disappear. It will only get worse. First, you should seperate the mother and daughter so it doesn't spread. Second, go to ANY vet that is willing to contact an avian vet elsewhere and get some help. Some vet is better than no vet at all if it is an infection. Have you got a photo? I can better judge if you have one.

See videos of Loki and the boys here!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

There is no discharge, and although I say there is swelling, I think a better word would be mildly irritated. I will attempt to take a picture of her in the morning and post.

Thanks.

Name
    Emily
    Thanks

I know you've told us this already but -
    A vet seems to be in option. Heck - Even if it isn't an avian certified vet, go to it! Squeakers vet isnt avian certified, but she basically should be. She knows pretty much everything there is to birds, and has taken courses in whatever bird sience there is. (My mind is blanking....)
    If a vet is 1, 2, or more hours away, go there anyways. My bird is having a runny nose (It might just be him trying to clear his nostrils) and he's going to the vet within two days. Mine isn't entirely worrisome, and I'm STILL taking him.
    A picture would help, but the vet is the most important.
    And if you refuse to try and go to a vet (I.e. its too far as you've said) then you might be down a bird
    I'm not trying to be rude, and I am dearly sorry if I come across as such, but if the bird indeed has Sinustis, then it could become fatal. Even if she doesn't, it could be an infection of sorts, which would need medication to clear up...And the only one who can tell you what medication to give is a vet...

I wish you the best of luck with everything! ♦

There.

Loki - love in bird form Four More Babies Hatched! peachee's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Methedrome View Post
    As I indicated in my message, I do not reside near a qualified avian veterinarian.
    I'm not sure where in Winnipeg you are but I was quickly able to find avian vets... One says specifically Winnipeg and the rest have the same area code so I'm assuming all are nearby. I drive about an hour to get to my vet; only the really lucky people have on close by. Some drive upwards of 5 hours.

Animal Ark Veterinarian Services
    Dr. Lisa Sawka
    (204)897-2242

Centennial Animal Hospital
    Dr. Heather McDonald
    2747 Pembina Highway
    Winnipeg, R3T 2H5
    (204)269-8162

Best Friends Animal Hostpital
    Dr. Nancy McQuade
    Pembina Hwy.
    (204)269-4451

Corydon Animal Hospital
    Dr. Andrew Davidson
    1675 Corydon Ave.
    (204)488-4577

WinRose Animal Hospital
    534 St Annes Rd.
    (204)254-3150

See videos of Loki and the boys here!

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

Yes, I read this. That's why I asked if you lived near ANY vet that you could take her to. A regular vet is better than no vet.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

what i've done before is called an avian vet and asked them to tell me who the best non-avian vet locally is. AND some are really good and will 'phone consult with a general vet to get the right answer and treatment. Worst that happens is they say no and you end up at a normal vet. And they might tell yuo that there is a vet expereinced in birds nearby like Squeakers.

there have been times i've bnot been able to get to an aqvian guy, but have called them, described symptons, and asked what they would treat with, and then taken that info to just any normal local vet.

have you tried very gently cleaning the eye with a damp warm cotton bud? it could be something in the eye, or an ingrown fearther (unless we're talking eyering which makes it more unlikely). but a normal vet could probably tell you the difference between that and infection.

how long has it been going on? any change in droppings? (difficult with 2 birds). is she flluffing up and sleepy? and most importantly... how is her breathing? any wheezing, clicking or noise, panting, or bobbing tail indicates that it could be a resp infection as Lisa mentioned. if it is i would settle for any vet.

i really hope she's ok. must be horrible to be miles away from help

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

WIthout trying to criticize those specific vets you referenced, none of them are actually qualified avian vets. I have had some experience with those vets you listed and can say that I would not recommend them to anyone.

Sorry if I differ from some peoples opinions that would rather take their animal to someone unqualified because they took a general course in animal care. My veterinary experience in Winnipeg has been terrible to nominal to say the least.

I will upload a picture later and try your suggestions pixibubbles.

Thanks.

Update - At the risk of my former experiences with dubbed "avian vets" in WInnipeg, I have decided to bite the bullet and take her in to one of the aforementioned vets. Will let you know my experience. I would like to make it clear that I would drive hours to make sure my bird got the attention she needed. I am just not comfortable with resigning myself to inadequate care for the sake of placating my own conscience.
    Last edited by Methedrome; 09-02-2008 at 10:12 AM.

٩(●̮̮̃̃)۶ Four More Babies Hatched! Skittles's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren
    Thanks

Heya! I hope your little bub's eye is doing better!

Another option would be to grin and bear the long distance charges and call an avian certified vet out of province. Explain your situation to the vet and see what he/she can offer.

And I just realised you added an "update" - I hope that vet trip goes/went well

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

maybe you can convince someone to do a cross consult- the local vet consults with the ACV.

i think sometimes a local vet with good bird experience is better than a 5 or 6 hour round trip with a stressed out unwell bird. and almost always better than none.

One of my vets isnt technically qualified in treating birds. she just has years of expereince with them and really loves them (and has them). but what i like most about her is if she does feel out of her depth she will tell you, and give you the phone number of someone better able to help. That's how i actually found my Avian vet. and in fairness my other vet can handle all but the really unusual... Sparks had AGY so took an ACV with his own lab and a lot of luck and hepl from here to pick it up.

i;m just saying, sometimes non ACVs are still able to help
    i really hope your bubba is ok x

Name
    Emily
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pixibubbles View Post

i;m just saying, sometimes non ACVs are still able to help
    i really hope your bubba is ok x
    Amen to that!
    Example...Squeakers vet!
    Even if an ACV would be recomended....I find it hard to swap for Squeakers vet.
    Not only does she take care of him, she gives every bird owner her CELL phone number, just in case...AND she hapily opens up the clinic late at night should something disasterous happen...
    In my opinion, At least you are taking your bird to a vet.

I hope everything goes well and it really is something minor! Keep us updated!!

(Oh and I hope you did not think I was implying that you didn't care for your birds...I just meant for a more professional opinion, a vet (AVC or not ) is best...Good luck!)

There.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

No offense taken. I realize that their is an underground debate when it comes to the validity of veterinarians when it relates to anything outside of dogs and cats.

I reside on the side of caution of only ensuring that qualified vets deal with my animals because I do care. I know the sensitivites of these animals and know how wrong prescriptions and inexperience by unqualified vets can do more harm than good.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

i know where you are coming from totally. i've known a vet who refused to even pick sparks up because he thought she might have a heart attack in his hand and said they are very nervous birds.... and this was after his receptionist said he was good with birds. Just not lovies it seems. and i've known a nurse to DROP her because... get this... she nipped her. WIMP. that was in the bad days before i found two very good vets though. I;'ve had similarly bad expereinces when my hamsters have needed treatment. i mean i know technically they are exotic, but come on.... it's a hamster. Half the people i know have them for their kids!

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

No offense taken. I realize that their is an underground debate when it comes to the validity of veterinarians when it relates to anything outside of dogs and cats.

I reside on the side of caution of only ensuring that qualified vets deal with my animals because I do care. I know the sensitivites of these animals and know how wrong prescriptions and inexperience by unqualified vets can do more harm than good.
    how are your two doing anyway? Is mom any better, and has daughter had any symptons? Has she seen the vet yet?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Daughter has been fine. In fact they both have been their normal active selves. My vet appointment is tomorrow since it was the quickest time available. Her eye seems to be improving though in the meantime.

Frybird = Flybird Teenager jokulhlaup's Avatar
    Name
    jamie
    Thanks

glad to hear there seems to be some improvement. good luck with the vet tomorrow...
    rip percy, isabella, and little oliver. i will never forget you...

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

The good news is my Lovebird is fine. Seems it was more of a slight battle wound from some horseplay with her daughter. The eye is back to normal. They are seldomly territorial with each other but I will have to ensure things don't escalate.