Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Conure Body Language

Does anyone know of any good sites that discuss conure body language and behaviour?

I have read so many books in the hopes of finding better insight into the more quirky behaviour but always come across the same dialogue discussing warnings of aggression, about to bite, etc.

I am looking for the less obvious things that every book discusses and more of the smaller incidental things; the more subtle things. For example, my female rose crowned will sometimes push her beak around like a vacuum cleaner on her blanket for no apparent reason. I am sure we've all witnessed some strange behaviour and would like some more insight into what our birds are trying to say instead of assuming it is breeding, aggressive, or territorial instincts...

Thanks

Re: Conure Body Language

What you mention your conure doing could just be her wiping her face, my sun does this on his soft rope perches.

As far as extensive body language information all compiled into one place, I don't know of one. I would like to know why Comet vibrates his head against me sometimes among other weird behaviors...maybe time will tell.
    "Questions open the door to knowledge."

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

Milo likes to run around with his beak on the ground too. It's not wiping his beak off, I think it's just fun for them.

"A guide to a well behaved parrot" might have something about body language, but I'm not sure...

You can tell a lot by watching their eyes. Pinned pupils mean they're excited, and often can hint at them being about to bite if you approach them the wrong way. Fluffed nape feathers generally mean they're angry.

Sometimes you just have to get to know the bird though, and pick up which signs mean what with them.

Name
    Sheila
    Thanks

petrie does this too its really funny to watch! ive also been trying to find this type of information but without any luck so far.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

There is so much to their personalities that implore further understanding. As complex creatures as they are, I would like to think there is more to certain behaviours than simply just being fun. Would be curious to know what's going on in that little head!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Methedrome View Post
    There is so much to their personalities that implore further understanding. As complex creatures as they are, I would like to think there is more to certain behaviours than simply just being fun. Would be curious to know what's going on in that little head!
    My thoughts exactly. "Fun" is so superficial and kindergarten.

Riding a rollercoaster and screaming is "fun" too, but that hardly scratches the surface.

LC, I was thinking of an entirely different motion than running around with their beak to the ground. I'm not sure now what the OP was describing.
    "Questions open the door to knowledge."