Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: HELP!!! my budgie KILLED HER BABIES!!!!

Pray for Skyer. Teenager -Robin-'s Avatar
    Name
    Melanie/Fallon
    Thanks

Re: HELP!!! my budgie KILLED HER BABIES!!!!

That is very sad! I am so sorry.!!!*huggies*

Well this happens all the time. The mother got jealeous is probably the reason. Mother so that all the time. The father was protecting the babies. They probably had a fight, but it also could of been taking too many pictures, that has happd before. They were disturb to much the mother gets annoyed and says she has had enough, but its not your fault you didnt know. These are two cases.

Fropm the mothers descibed behaviour and after studying the pictures, it also looked like she was stressed, she kept sucking, in and it looks like peple have been negleting her or people have been bothering her to much. Also sometimes the mother just loses it. she completely gos ntzo and thinks that the babies were intruding in her territory. the parents could of had a fight too. The male ws trying to protect them, you may see feelings of him being depressed and stressed in a while. I belive you took too many pics....but dont worry all will be well again. Your birdy mummy needs some therepy though.As for mummy i would seperate them. You bird has laid to many clutches already and doing that can severely hurt your bird. she needs some time on her own, quarentine her, pay special attention to her for 2 weeks or so. Then you can change the cage you want the two to live in and try again... these are the best reasons that i would first suggest but if you have anything else to say, i will look into it further.I am so sorry about the incident unfortunatly it is so commen in birds. But its even more painful to witness it.

Pls dont hesetate to ask me some more, because i have more reasons into why this was happed, but i think by all the evidence allready this should be the case....iu am so sorry. Isaih 43 1!!!! *huggies*

ray 2 rest in peace babies of isaih....

Horse lover and Bird FreaK Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Shaina
    Thanks

Whoa! I can't beliave that!

Well I can assure you it wasn't because you opened it up to check on them. The father was probably trying to make her stop. She may just not wanna be a mom. I sugget to take out the nest box and not let them breed for a long while. But if you wanna have babies you may want to try getting a new, more experienced female. The mom may have just been ustounded (sp?) because of so many babies that she had never had any experience with babies yet. Take some of these things into consideration before you let them breed again.

Horse lover and Bird FreaK Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Shaina
    Thanks

Whoa!!!
    I just looked at the pictures and she doesn't even have a brown cere!!!!!!! Way WAY WAY TOO young.

Name
    Melanie/Fallon
    Thanks

yes she is may be young...but by the picture it looks like the cere was drained form stressness.....oh no.....dont just take out the nest box, remove the female....pls take the advice i put into consideration...

isiah 43 1

i really appreciate all of your replies very much!!!

she's actually not young at all. i've had her for over 2 years now. her cere never changed colors. up until she laid eggs the first time, i wasn't even sure if she's a male or female.

if it's because i took too many pictures, why did she kill the eggs the previous time??? and besides, from what i understand, i'm supposed to open the nesting box to check up on the birds.

i'm not sure if i can look at the mom the same way again, cause i was in love with the babies, and she killed them!!! i was devastated and very hurt and sad when i saw that!!! i gave her a second chance by leaving the 3 eggs in there and she failed me again by killing them too!!! that's sooo cruel and vicious!!!

i also read somewhere that some budgies have that genetic defect that they get really tense and agressive when they lay eggs. i even read of incidences when the bird killed her own husband!!! i fear that my budgie my have that defect in her. i also read that since it's genetic, the babies get the same disorder, and so it continues. i feel that it's much better if i don't breed her again. i think it's safest for everyone involved (her, her husband, her babies, and myself!)

again, thank you all for your responses very much!!! i have only been a member for 1 day, and i feel right at home! thanks!!!

sincerely,
    mina (Isaiah 43:1 is my favorite verse ray )

isiah 43 1

HELP!!! my budgie KILLED HER BABIES!!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

my budgie started laying eggs about a year ago. she laid 3 clutches:

first clutch, she laid 5 eggs, the eggs were infertile, and i removed them after about 23 days (this is common among most kinds of birds that first clutch is infertile)

second clutch, she laid 5 eggs, and i was out of town one weekend, but the person that's supposed to feed the birds forgot, and when i came back, the eggs were broken and thrown everywhere. i assumed it's because the birds got hungry or couldn't take care of the eggs or whatever.

third clutch, she laid 6 eggs, 3 of them hatched and 3 were yet to hatch. i'm in love with them, so i open the nesting box quite regularly to look at them and take pictures.

yesterday, i was going to look at them, and noticed that the dad is inside the box. he has never gone in the nesting box before!!! i opened the box and to my horror, the mom was KILLING THE BABIES!!!! all 3 babies were injured very badly and on the verge of death. they died an hour later

i took out the dead babies and left the 3 eggs in there. i opened again this morning, and she had broken the eggs and stepped all over the babies inside them!!!

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED?!!!! i'm devastated!!! why did she do that??? why was the male in the box??? does it have anything to do with me opening the nesting box to check up on them??? why was she so vicious?!!

please help!

i posted some of the pictures online if you want to see what she looked like with their blood on her chest. she's the grey and he's the green. don't click the link if it's gonna disturb you. it sure does disturb me!!!

pictures of the two parents

i appreciate the replys!

Name
    Melanie/Fallon
    Thanks

Your very welcome mina! Glad we could help! Also it does seem like the cere has been drained. This is quite rare in a female. The brown colour nis completely gone, so she is trying to tell you she has had enough. she got fed up. And the disorder is very true...

Glad you come aboard and I am here anytime to help.

isiah 43 1

her cere never had a color! ever since i've had her, it was 3/4 white, 1/4 baby blue.

her cere didn't change colors when she started laying eggs or when they hatched or anything. it was and has always been that same color.

thanks again. look forward to talking to you all. peace.

mina

Name
    Melanie/Fallon
    Thanks

Then that is why she didnt have a successful clutch any of the time...a females cere is to turn brown when she breeds, when it is not, it means she was not ready. That is your reason for no successful clutches. even though she mated with the male, she wasnt ready to become a mother... along with the camera thing, regulary was to much i am afraid...
    Give her sometime alone...for a while, then start anew, it will be a fresh start.

Remove Ads