Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

KruciaLeciaKeys

I should also add

My parakeets were outside on my deck and that's were they layed tahere eggs. However, due to the hurricane I put them inside my house. I have no electricity and its been like that for 3 days now but I have a generator. My parakeets aren't afraid of my huge 115lbs. german shepard but they're afraid of me

KruciaLeciaKeys

Parakeet egg help

I have had 2 parakeets, (1 blue male and 1 green female) for about a year and a half. We bought them a nesting box and put hay-like material. I have noticed them acting very strange lately and realized the green parakeet sitting on 4 eggs. The eggs look like they're tan and have a brown color on top of the eggs. What should I do? (Note that they're still afraid of me) How long will it take for the eggs to hatch?

Pray for Skyer. Teenager -Robin-'s Avatar
    Name
    Melanie/Fallon
    Thanks

Re: Parakeet egg help

they will hatch in 18 days. or more. to make sure, take a flashlight and hold it to the eggs, (picking one up individually) and see if there are red veins in them, if you see veins, that means it will hatch. if they dont its unfertile and wont hatch. them take the unfertile eggs and boil and mash them and feed them to your female, she will need her calcium back, and you want her to keep her health, dont bother them to much or else your female might stop sitting on them.

Good luck and keep us posted, yes, and Welcome to Tailfeathers!

KruciaLeciaKeys

more q's

I am afraid to pick up the eggs because the birds are so afraid of me. I am going to change their diet because it's very poor.(I just found out) Another problem is that the entrancefor the box is facing away from where I can stick my hand in and its gonna be a mess. Should I leave the winow opened? It's windy and when I leave it open the female just leaves for like 9 secs. What should I feed them? Tanx for replying by the ay, they may lay moreeggs because 2 days ago there were 3 eggs and now theres 4. They just put them closer together.

Pray for Skyer. Teenager -Robin-'s Avatar
    Name
    Melanie/Fallon
    Thanks

Re: more q's

dont be afraid i have to say,...your going to have to take charge try to use a blanket while doing this. it will cover your hand. or even a glove but a gloe still shows and outline, your bird may freak out but they wont freak out as much as when they see you actual hand. its a good thing to change their diet. does the top of the nest box come off, the side? if not...you going to have to try it the hard way, take charge and only do this once. i suggest you keep the window closed for now because your female is going to have to learn to stay put on her eggs wait a while and open the window after 2 days, your birds may be anxious to go outside and then when they leave quickly check the eggs. they may even stay longer outside because they havent been there sol long...only do this if your birds come back though....we dont want any lost bird....just take charge and keep the window closed. even so...they do need to learn.

your budgie will continue to lay eggs till there are about six or seven. each will hatch 18 days afetr they are layd 18-20 days. but be siure to check them only once. we dont want your birds to stop warming them.

feed your female pleny of calcium. the male should be fine...feed them enriched (both) seed, and put vitamins in their watter and use vitamin treats. only.

remember when i told you about the eggshell...do that too, or grind up tiny bits of cuttle bone for your female.

dont hesitate if ou have anymore questions.....keep me and other posted! good luck! ray