Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Epoxy Coating?

Thanks

Red face Epoxy Coating?

You've just met me with a question about coating.

I'm getting to redo my room, in which my Budgies live. The gang, as I affectionately call them. I also get to have them take a lil' trip to the vet for a beak, nail, and wing trim, as I'm afraid to do it. (I once tried to clip Ollie's nails. He jerked, and I made him bleed a little... Set me off of it for good. I don't want to hurt my babies.)

Anywho, I'm asking about Epoxy coating. I don't know too much about it. No, I'm not going to get a cage out of it.

I've seen at some stores Laundry shelves that are grated properly for budgies. They're covered in Epoxy coating. They've got the right size grid, small enough that no heads can get through. XD The bars are also fairly thick, but not too much so. They're nice little shelves.

I'd just love to know if these would be safe for out of cage play gyms. I would probably get several and mount them on the wall for play and fun.

I'd also love to know if they might be safe for Charlie. Since he's a bigger bird, but he doesn't chew on anything he's walking on for matter of grates, ect, too much, and would be on them with supervision only.

Just an honest question. I just thought they looked fun.

Charlie the Nanday, Pickles the Bratty Budgie , Snowflake (pic coming) the Baby, Ollie and Star the Couple. Sophie, Shiloh, and McSquizzy/Roly the terrible Trio. Goldy the big Baby.

Queen of her Flock Parent Sun_angel00's Avatar
    Name
    Cheryl
    Thanks

Re: Epoxy Coating?

Hmmmm epoxy coated... I know even for humans epoxy isnt that great I could see it not being so great for bird either. But as long as they dont eat it I couldnt see it being an issue.

Do they have the same shelves in stainless steel?
    "I will lend to you, a Bird", God said, "and teach you all you have to do. And when I call him back to heaven, you will know he loved you too."

Thanks

No, not that I can find.

Charlie the Nanday, Pickles the Bratty Budgie , Snowflake (pic coming) the Baby, Ollie and Star the Couple. Sophie, Shiloh, and McSquizzy/Roly the terrible Trio. Goldy the big Baby.

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

I wonder if you could just bolt some SS cooling racks to the wall instead...

Thanks

I was just wondering. :/ I'm kind of on a tight budget, and these were semi-cheap. I can't really afford SS right now.

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Personally, I would wait until you can get the SS ones, or a SS bakers rack. Why waste the money on the cheaper ones, when you can save it, add more money to it and buy the best.

Surrounded by people who love life, you love it too;
    surrounded by people who don't, you don't.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Thanks

I can't get SS ones... :/ I'm already treading on thin ice trying to buy anything for my birds right now, seeing as I just got a new cage. This would have been the only option for quite a while.

Ah well. :P Didn't hurt to ask.

٩(●̮̮̃̃)۶ Four More Babies Hatched! Skittles's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren
    Thanks

The cooking cooling racks which are S.S go for about $4/piece here in Canada.
    I used them for a bottom grate on my new cage for the lovies (Before I realised the store had forgotten to add the grate to the cage). I had to cut them to size before they would fit and after the quick saw-job and sanding to round the edges, they worked out perfectly and I ended up spending 9$ after taxes on two.

Now if you want shelves for them to play on... try looking at some wooden towel racks that stick out from the walls

Thanks

I guess I'll just look around or go without.

They don't have SS Racks here, and if they did, they'd probably end up being pricey. >.<