Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: New Addition?

  1. #1
    Maturing... ♥Brittany's Avatar
    Name
    Brittany
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,836
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    New Addition?

    I need this thread deleted.
    Last edited by ♥Brittany; 09-18-2008 at 03:46 PM.

  2. #2
    Tailfeather pixibubbles's Avatar
    Name
    Helen
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Coventry, UK
    Posts
    8,757
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 98 Times in 98 Posts

    Re: New Addition?

    is this him?
    http://southjersey.craigslist.org/for/838986868.html

    if so... oh WOW what a total cutie pie.
    and do i see red feathers up the left leg too?

    i hope it works out and you two get along x

  3. #3
    Tailfeather javi's Avatar
    Name
    javi
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mercedes, Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,864
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts

    Re: New Addition?

    aww another new bird. that will be great
    Life without birds, is not a life I could live

  4. #4
    Tailfeather javi's Avatar
    Name
    javi
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mercedes, Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,864
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts

    Re: New Addition?

    oh yeah he is pretty. is he kept outside though
    Life without birds, is not a life I could live

  5. #5
    Part Owl Tailfeather BrandonK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    6,343
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: New Addition?

    Wow, your family moves quickly!!!!
    "Questions open the door to knowledge."

  6. #6
    Amorous Tailfeather
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    9,203
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: New Addition?

    But I thought you just got rid of a bird?

    Okay, no offense intended here...seriously, but I think you are moving through birds WAY too fast. It's only been like, a month? And isn't this your 3rd addition? SO I have a question for you-

    ANY parrot is prone to issues, he could come home and be the sweetest bird ever. Then a month later turn against you, become a plucker or screamer. Are you going to rehome him like your last sunnie if he develops problems?

    Most birds go through a "toddler" phase for a couple years or more. A bird is a huge commitment and you should realize when you add to your flock it is a forever thing. Which in this case could mean 50 years. Are you prepared to keep a bird that long, despite the issues that may develop? This bird has been rehomed for some pretty lame reasons if you ask me, are you going to do the same if your life gets busier or you have a kid? I apologize if I sound harsh, but I wanted to voice my opinion against the idea.


  7. #7
    Maturing... ♥Brittany's Avatar
    Name
    Brittany
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,836
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: New Addition?

    OK, well, i didn't get rid of Yuka because of her problems, i was still working with her, i am only giving her to my grandmother because i think she would be a lot happier there. It's not like i was listing her up for sale or adoption because i couldn't handle her. Do you forget i still have Sunny and Trudy who i work with everyday? I really don't need to be lectured. I fully understand that it is a lifetime thing. Why would i get it if i didn't understand that? I'm not going to sit here and write some huge reply, i will just discontinue to write here. I will post pictures for those who ask, but as for my life, i don't need to be yelled at for it. I plan on devoting my life to these birds and if that isn't enough then i guess nothing is good enough.

    And once again, i did NOT rehome Yuka because of her problems and i will be seeing her as much as possible. I was fully prepared to deal with her issues for however long i had to.

    I really don't think i am doing anything wrong. I came on TF to learn about birds and it has helped me tremendously and i thank everyone who has helped me but if i am going to get ridiculed for everything i do that someone in their own head thinks is wrong, then i don't see a reason to stay here.
    I will buy books and look up the info i need.
    ♥I Miss My Fids♥

    Previously Tikigurl

  8. #8
    Tailfeather javi's Avatar
    Name
    javi
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mercedes, Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,864
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts

    Re: New Addition?

    ok lets all calm down. no one is yelling..just showing concern for the birds. we are not saying yare a bad owner. we just want to make sure the birds best is put first. i will say i worry about adopting an oler bird since ya dont know what kind of mess ya will end up in,
    Life without birds, is not a life I could live

  9. #9
    Crazy for Conures & Poi's Teenager Stephie's Avatar
    Name
    Stephanie
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,522
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: New Addition?

    Quote Originally Posted by McDenny View Post
    But I thought you just got rid of a bird?

    Okay, no offense intended here...seriously, but I think you are moving through birds WAY too fast. It's only been like, a month? And isn't this your 3rd addition? SO I have a question for you-

    Most birds go through a "toddler" phase for a couple years or more. A bird is a huge commitment and you should realize when you add to your flock it is a forever thing. Which in this case could mean 50 years. Are you prepared to keep a bird that long, despite the issues that may develop? This bird has been rehomed for some pretty lame reasons if you ask me, are you going to do the same if your life gets busier or you have a kid? I apologize if I sound harsh, but I wanted to voice my opinion against the idea.
    Hilary, I wanted you to know 2 things:

    1. Her Mother bought Yuka and surprised Brittany with her, Brittany didn't even get to interact with Yuka until she was already purchased, so Brittany did the best with Yuka while she had her.

    2. The African Grey is 17 years old - so that does make a difference when you're talking about the toddler years.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tikigurl View Post
    OK, well, i didn't get rid of Yuka because of her problems, i was still working with her, i am only giving her to my grandmother because i think she would be a lot happier there. It's not like i was listing her up for sale or adoption because i couldn't handle her. Do you forget i still have Sunny and Trudy who i work with everyday? I really don't need to be lectured. I fully understand that it is a lifetime thing. Why would i get it if i didn't understand that? I'm not going to sit here and write some huge reply, i will just discontinue to write here. I will post pictures for those who ask, but as for my life, i don't need to be yelled at for it. I plan on devoting my life to these birds and if that isn't enough then i guess nothing is good enough.

    And once again, i did NOT rehome Yuka because of her problems and i will be seeing her as much as possible. I was fully prepared to deal with her issues for however long i had to.

    I really don't think i am doing anything wrong. I came on TF to learn about birds and it has helped me tremendously and i thank everyone who has helped me but if i am going to get ridiculed for everything i do that someone in their own head thinks is wrong, then i don't see a reason to stay here.
    I will buy books and look up the info i need.
    Brittany,

    I don't think you're doing anything wrong - in yuka's case, I believe you did the best you could with her. You were responsible enough to realize that Yuka wasn't getting the attention she needed (because you split it between 3 other birds) and you recongnized that she was much more calm with your grandma (wasn't it your grandma?)

    I understand why Hilary has some concerns, because you added 3 birds to your flock so quickly; but I do have to say that you made a very mature decision in letting Yuka go because you recognized and realized she would do better where she's at.

    I would just like to ask you to think about the needs of an African Grey, and see if you'll be able to meet those needs, considering you have 3 others at home.

    I have 4 birds at home, but I choose to only take one out at a time - at least you can take Sunny and Trudy out together.



    I know it's hard to hear someone's thoughts, but I hope you realize that Hilary is just doing what she knows how to do best - look out for the birds. Don't let that stop you from posting here, please...I'd miss hearing about your 3 gorgeous fids!

  10. #10
    Part Owl Tailfeather BrandonK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    6,343
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: New Addition?

    Quote Originally Posted by McDenny View Post
    But I thought you just got rid of a bird?

    Okay, no offense intended here...seriously, but I think you are moving through birds WAY too fast. It's only been like, a month? And isn't this your 3rd addition? SO I have a question for you-

    ANY parrot is prone to issues, he could come home and be the sweetest bird ever. Then a month later turn against you, become a plucker or screamer. Are you going to rehome him like your last sunnie if he develops problems?

    Most birds go through a "toddler" phase for a couple years or more. A bird is a huge commitment and you should realize when you add to your flock it is a forever thing. Which in this case could mean 50 years. Are you prepared to keep a bird that long, despite the issues that may develop? This bird has been rehomed for some pretty lame reasons if you ask me, are you going to do the same if your life gets busier or you have a kid? I apologize if I sound harsh, but I wanted to voice my opinion against the idea.
    Regardless of how you meant that, it came across as condescending. You are talking with a 17 year old not someone in the business of bird flipping. Try not to assume the worst right away.
    I think in the future before writing posts like these you (and I and everyone) should read the available threads on the matter first, then ask clarifying questions, then voice our respective opinions once we are each up to speed. Your post was clearly an emotional one which is only going to breed more emotional, rash responses. In the end, if you want someone to change something it is much more effective to inspire them to do so than it is to force feeling of guilt on them. (Not that I can't stand to learn some of that as well.)

    As Stephie pointed out, Brittany did not make the decision to bring Yuka home and arguably, right away is the best time to rehome the bird before it is settled in. I found her decision making in this area to be mature and considered if not well thought out.

    Again, her mom wants to bring home an african grey and it really isn't Brittany's decision because she isn't funding it. Her mom can, and probably will, do whatever she wants. I certainly wont condemn brittany for that.

    Brittany, I do feel that it might be time to talk to your mom (very carefully and respectfully) about her feelings toward bringing home an african grey. Does she expect that you will care for the bird because you have experience? From what I read, they are one of the most demanding parrot species. I worry a bit about these ones being older because we can never really know their history; we can only trust that what the owner says is true.

    Please keep us updated.
    "Questions open the door to knowledge."

  11. #11
    Amorous Tailfeather
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    9,203
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: New Addition?

    Brandon no offense but you kinda did the same thing

    Yeesh, I knew I was going to get griped at for stating my opinion. Well you all think it's hunky dory and you are allowed to state your opinions, am I not allowed to state mine? Can I not say something that you disagree with, without stirring the pot? I am perfectly entitled to my opinion without being told I am wrong and mean. I am not lecturing anyone, simply looking at it from the other side of the fence. Is it really so wrong to see something from two different angles? I think, if anything, every decision needs a positive and a negative view. I ALREADY said I was not trying to offend or come off as harsh, so why is everyone still griping at me? I did NOT say
    "OMG I can't believe you are getting another bird after getting rid of Yuka that's so irresponsible you shouldn't be doing it."

    THAT would be a lecture, THAT would be an attack, THAT would be condescending. Please people, try not to be so sensitive just because I differ in opinion, okay? Brittany- can you see that I am not being rude at all? People don't like criticism so I understand I might have heated you up a bit, but honestly if you take a look back at the post I think you will find I wasn't rude.

    Either way, I am not going to withdraw my opinon just because it's disagreed with. Like I said, you all have a right to say what you want, so do I. Not my fault no one agrees with me, I don't expect agreement and I am not trying to tell anyone they are wrong so please stop trying to tell me so!


  12. #12
    Maturing... ♥Brittany's Avatar
    Name
    Brittany
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,836
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: New Addition?

    Is there anyway i can delete this? I am not replying to anything in this anymore because it is just going to be one big drawn out debate. You think what you want but you don't know the whole story. I don't need to explain myself to someone who doesn't even know me. I think i do perfectly fine with my fids and that's all that matters.
    Thank you.
    ♥I Miss My Fids♥

    Previously Tikigurl

  13. #13
    Amorous Tailfeather
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    9,203
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: New Addition?

    Urgh, whatever. If you are going to take offense over something so silly (instead of being mature and saying Thanks, but I disagree) then don't bother asking for opinions. Just because someone does not tell you what you want to hear does not mean you need to get all huffy. I am sorry if I offended you but jeez I'm pretty sure I'm not obligated to agree with everyone.

    Deleting a thread just because one person does not agree with you is not very mature, either.

    If you would just agree to disagree, as I have done, it wouldn't BE a debate. I throw in one opinion that you happen to disagree with and you get all mad? Sorry but not everyone is going to agree with everything you do in life. If you think I don't know what I'm talking about because I don't know you (and you're right) then why don't you just shrug it off because, honestly, it does not matter what one person halfway across the world thinks of you, does it? So there is no reason my opinion should upset you. Even though, as I said, you DID come here asking opinions...


  14. #14
    Crazy for Conures & Poi's Teenager Stephie's Avatar
    Name
    Stephanie
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,522
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: New Addition?

    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonK View Post
    I think in the future before writing posts like these you (and I and everyone) should read the available threads on the matter first, then ask clarifying questions, then voice our respective opinions once we are each up to speed. Your post was clearly an emotional one which is only going to breed more emotional, rash responses. In the end, if you want someone to change something it is much more effective to inspire them to do so than it is to force feeling of guilt on them. (Not that I can't stand to learn some of that as well.)
    Brandon,

    We've had this discussion before and Hilary is not on the same page as you and I are - Hilary is on the side that doesn't feel it's necessary to ask questions before because if someone in lurking and doesn't return they might not hear the answer to the question, and therefore won't read why the question was asked. For example, if I saw a picture of a bird with incredibly long nails, I would ask the OP if they had taken the bird to an avian certified vet recently. when the person responded - if they said no, i would tell them that a vet appt is necessary due to the unhealthy length of the birds nails. If they said yes, then I would ask if this is an old picture - because the birds nails are super long in the picture, and what did the vet say about them? Was his bloodwork ok? you get the point.

    There are people that would just say "you need to take your bird to the vet, those nails are way too long etc etc." and that's the only thing that's focused on. one post is ok, but normally what happens is then everyone comments on the long nails only - explaining the potential hazards, problems etc. which causes the OP to feel that they are being ganged up on and that no one has asked them any questions just automatically focused on the one negative.

    that in turn could turn the OP off and make them defensive instead of feeling like people care and want to ask questions which would cause them to not want to remain here to learn from us.

    Unfortunately we are going to have to agree to disagree with them, and we can just continue to ask questions and still be informative.

    Quote Originally Posted by McDenny View Post
    Brandon no offense but you kinda did the same thing

    Yeesh, I knew I was going to get griped at for stating my opinion. Well you all think it's hunky dory and you are allowed to state your opinions, am I not allowed to state mine? Can I not say something that you disagree with, without stirring the pot? I am perfectly entitled to my opinion without being told I am wrong and mean. I am not lecturing anyone, simply looking at it from the other side of the fence. Is it really so wrong to see something from two different angles? I think, if anything, every decision needs a positive and a negative view. I ALREADY said I was not trying to offend or come off as harsh, so why is everyone still griping at me? I did NOT say
    "OMG I can't believe you are getting another bird after getting rid of Yuka that's so irresponsible you shouldn't be doing it."

    THAT would be a lecture, THAT would be an attack, THAT would be condescending. Please people, try not to be so sensitive just because I differ in opinion, okay? Brittany- can you see that I am not being rude at all? People don't like criticism so I understand I might have heated you up a bit, but honestly if you take a look back at the post I think you will find I wasn't rude.

    Either way, I am not going to withdraw my opinon just because it's disagreed with. Like I said, you all have a right to say what you want, so do I. Not my fault no one agrees with me, I don't expect agreement and I am not trying to tell anyone they are wrong so please stop trying to tell me so!
    Hilary, You're right we all have the right to state our opinions...it's just that you seemed to jump at Brittany before taking the time to get to know what the story was. By stating that you thought she moved through birds WAY too fast, was probably more hurtful to Brittany than you intended because you followed that statement up with an assumption as to why she rehomed Yuka.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tikigurl View Post
    Is there anyway i can delete this? I am not replying to anything in this anymore because it is just going to be one big drawn out debate. You think what you want but you don't know the whole story. I don't need to explain myself to someone who doesn't even know me. I think i do perfectly fine with my fids and that's all that matters.
    Thank you.
    Brittany,

    You don't have to delete a thread just because it causes a disagreement or a heated discussion. I understand your feelings are hurt; and you have every right to feel the way you do. HIlary stated her opinion, but you don't have to listen to it (or read it in this case) you can just tell her thanks, i don't agree and explain why - there have been many times that I had to step away from the computer to respond to something, so I could calm myself and not say something I would regret.

    Quote Originally Posted by McDenny View Post
    Urgh, whatever. If you are going to take offense over something so silly (instead of being mature and saying Thanks, but I disagree) then don't bother asking for opinions. Just because someone does not tell you what you want to hear does not mean you need to get all huffy. I am sorry if I offended you but jeez I'm pretty sure I'm not obligated to agree with everyone.

    Deleting a thread just because one person does not agree with you is not very mature, either.

    If you would just agree to disagree, as I have done, it wouldn't BE a debate. I throw in one opinion that you happen to disagree with and you get all mad? Sorry but not everyone is going to agree with everything you do in life. If you think I don't know what I'm talking about because I don't know you (and you're right) then why don't you just shrug it off because, honestly, it does not matter what one person halfway across the world thinks of you, does it? So there is no reason my opinion should upset you. Even though, as I said, you DID come here asking opinions...
    Hilary, just because you preface a statement with "i'm not trying to be rude" or "I don't mean to offend you" doesn't mean that person won't take it that way. And, I have to say this statement was pretty immature itself - you say yourself "why not just agree to disagree?" well this entire post is nothing more than throwing fuel on the burning bush - it's almost as if you're trying to antagonize her to respond.

  15. #15
    Amorous Tailfeather
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    9,203
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: New Addition?

    Hilary, You're right we all have the right to state our opinions...it's just that you seemed to jump at Brittany before taking the time to get to know what the story was. By stating that you thought she moved through birds WAY too fast, was probably more hurtful to Brittany than you intended because you followed that statement up with an assumption as to why she rehomed Yuka.
    Seemed being the operative word. It's only how you perceived it. It's not my fault someone took offense to the way I type. I can't control how everyone is going to gauge the attitude of my posts. Text is difficult to interpret and that's not my fault. I say I am not rude and I mean it.

    Hilary, just because you preface a statement with "i'm not trying to be rude" or "I don't mean to offend you" doesn't mean that person won't take it that way.
    Again, perceptions. I state "I don't mean to be rude" and my position is clear, crystal clear. If the person takes it that way, they took it the wrong way.

    *Edit* It's Hillari not with a y. People overlook it all the time, but it's just a pet peeve of mine, don't ask why I'm quirky


Remove Ads

Similar Threads

  1. New addition!
    By Sarin in forum All Animals
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-25-2009, 06:05 AM
  2. Possible new addition!
    By Albe in forum Lovebirds
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-17-2007, 05:44 PM
  3. New Addition!
    By Kabluey in forum Other Birds
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-29-2007, 08:12 PM
  4. New Addition
    By Lynnsie in forum Other Budgie Topics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-31-2006, 08:09 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Message BoardNetwork Home