Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EDITED:: Lovebird questions... CAGE SIZE? AND a stupid question about cage lining...

AKA 'Follyfoot Farm' Tailfeather
    Name
    Mel
    Thanks

Red face EDITED:: Lovebird questions... CAGE SIZE? AND a stupid question about cage lining...

its all you lots fault!!!

now i am seriously considering getting lovebird(s).. but i have a few questions...

i want to be able to work with the lovie and train it and play with it, so therefore i would be looking at caged birds right?

sooo my questions are...

which would be better... a hand reared lovie or a young parent reared one?
    if the one was parent reared in an aviary could it be put into a cage and trained and tamed or its that cruel.

next...
    one bird or two...
    if i were to get hand reared i would only get one definently, but if i were to get parent reared should i take 2? if i take two would it mean that i cant tame them?

i have other birds *budgies, tiels, finches, canaries and quail* but i only have one other cage bird, his name is Chullo and he kinda got dumped on me! LOL he is a budgie. from what i have been reading budgies and lovies in general should NOT be left together and even if they are out with supervision they can be a bit fiesty. would a handreared be any better or no, is it just a temperment of the bird?

then ofcourse, breeder or rescue.
    i know this one lady who breeds lovies and budgies and she is such a great person i would definently be happy to buy from her. she has helped me with questions when i had to hand rear some budgies as they were abandoned. she is also keen to let me bring Chullo to her house and see if any of hers take a better shine to him than others.

but i am more of a rescue type person, i like to do my bit that way, but im new to this so i dont want to land up with a bird that is too hard for me to handle.

this needs a lot more thought, so any help would be greatly appriciated!!!!
    Last edited by Melza; 09-30-2008 at 08:44 PM.

Before you ask, yes I am a b!tch...
    But I am an honest b!tch.

Snuggled, not stirred Teenager BridgeyRoo's Avatar
    Name
    Bridget H. Shea
    Thanks

Re: Lovebird questions... handreared or not... one or two.. help please!

I personally would go with a hand-reared lovie...or at least a lovie that has been handled by a human while being parent-raised. My lovie was hand-raised and she thinks she is a person and she does not like other birds. No no no. She is the boss. I think you meant to write that your budgie and lovie should NOT be put together and you are right they should not...they could hurt each other badly. But after quarantine, if they get along after intro, then they can have supervuised playtime. After nearly two years of letting them just co-exist, my two (a black-capped conure and my lovie) are at a point where they don't viciously attack each other through the bars of their cages anymore...BUT they still require separate out of cage times. Maybe one day!

I don't think that putting an aviary lovie in a cage is cruel if you ae going to spend time with them, train them, work with them, let them out - i.e. have them as your pet. It will be a different happiness for them, in my personal opinion.

If you can handle a rescue, all the better for you. However, I love the fact that I had Tini from when she was a little baby and got to be a part of that whole process....it was neat. Plus I know her history and all that. Not that there aren't benefits of a rescued bird...there certainly are. It is just a question of what you want and what you can do and what you are willing to do I guess.

Forgot to add...just one! If you are going to be spending ample time with them and making them a part of your flock, then one will be fine with just you - you don't need two. One will bond with you and be fine and happy that way!

Welcome in advance to the wonderful world of lovies!! I wouldn't trade mine for anything!!!
    Last edited by BridgeyRoo; 09-23-2008 at 09:09 PM.

Name
    Mel
    Thanks

opps yes! that was a typo *corrects it* thanks

they always seem like they are such characters. and from what i read about them on here, all completely different!

aw yes, i would always like to get a young one, i think they would be easier to tame when they are younger.

i would really love a handreared one personally aswell. its just whether i can convince the rest of the family to let me have one! i have been around hand reared birds *maily loirries though* a bit and they are so precious.

i havent found a bird rescue near me that has lovies, but im also not so sure, because being as this will be my first parrot, im not sure i could handle some of the social problems that a rescue may have. but ill look into it first.

just one? brilliant. that sounds about right. it will be easier to tame just one

thanks for all your help!!!

Thanks

Didn't you just have this thread last week, Melza? Forgive me if I'm totally wrong.

Just go read Lauren's lovebird sticky for first timers, it's quite comprehensive.
    "Questions open the door to knowledge."

Name
    Mel
    Thanks

similar i think, this one is more about caged birds and indoor birds.

sorry, im just trying to get as much info as i can, i dont mean to 'spam' if thats what your thinking.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

i would be concerned about taking a bird into the flock environment. i mean you would obviously QT this new lovie... so i would worry about exposing Chullo to illness.

i know lovies who get on with budgies well (i AM looking for some pics to prove this!- Else i will take some when nan's keet and sparks next playdate) but they are all masked lovies. That said not all masked lovies will. however if you look on you-tube they are almost all masked birds.

if you want a bird who you can really interact with and teach tricks and things i would think single bird. either hand-reared or handled from young. That said if you rescue there's no reason with time and patience you cant acheive amazing results.

My sparks was a rescue

٩(●̮̮̃̃)۶ Four More Babies Hatched! Skittles's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren
    Thanks

In my opinion... ONE!!! Especially if it will be your first lovebird. Not first bird - first LOVEBIRD!!!

I originally had Kirby, and he was a blast to have by himself. He bonded really close to me and even though I just had him, I still had to run around trying to control that monster .
    I went out 6 months later to search for a cheerio eyed lovebird (As my boyfriend calls the masked lovebirds ) found Skittles, fell in love and the rest goes down in history.

Now, if I had started with TWO lovebirds, I think I might've liked them a whole lot less. But now that I'm used to both of them, they don't stress me out at all, and I know their routine.

Start with one lovebird. IMO if you're wanting a hand raised, then by the sounds of it you'll want a fairly young one. There are pro's and con's to that such as:

• the younger lovebird you get, you will have to endure their nippy stages all the way up to a year. Which get very frustrating

• you will be able to bond more with the baby and have a more close relationship

I know you'll have us here on Tailfeathers to ask tonnes of questions and have them answered hopefully, but you really need to look at what YOU want in your lovebird. Me, I wanted a bird that I could interact more with (i had bad experiences with old pet budgies and thought they were evil ) I was VERY disappointed with Kirby when I first bought him. He bit, he was cruel, he just hated my guts - EVEN THOUGH HE WAS HAND RAISED AND TAME.

Skittles, well.. you could sit on her and she'd still snuggle you - so we wont talk about her .

Just keep in mind, hand raised and hand tame are two different things.

Hand raised doesn't mean the little bub will love to be handled. It means the lovebird was pulled by the human at a young age and hand-fed

Hand tame STILL doesn't mean your bird will enjoy being handled. That's Kirby's situation. You can ask him to step up and hold him, but touch him with you fingers and you lose 'em.
    Last edited by Skittles; 09-24-2008 at 10:07 AM.

Name
    Mel
    Thanks

yea QT is always a must, will it be really hard to do this since both birds will be inside? how far from each other do they need to be... different rooms obviously, would it be OK if one were in the lounge and one was in my room? *rooms are separated by a long hallway and half the lounge...*

yea, i know that handreared doesnt automatically assume tameness and what not, i know this from lorries i have seen, you would never have guessed that they were handreared.

ths is why im thinking i might go to the breeders place and see what her lovies are like. i have heard good things about them, but id really want to see for myself. i would prefer to get a bird that is mostly tame purely because it may be easier on me to handle, though i know im up for the challenge at any rate!

yea, if i do manage to get one, ill be bugging all you lot with any questions that i may get!

thanks everyone for your help! i really appriciate it!

gettin' married! Found a Mate FreudianSlip's Avatar
    Name
    Aerrica
    Thanks

That's how I usually QT. All the birds are in the living room, and my bedroom is the QT room. It is also sep by half the living room and a long hall. I keep the door closed and make sure to wash my hands thoroughly before going back into the living room.
    Even a small bird requires a large commitment!

Name
    Mel
    Thanks

yea, it should be fine then.

oh i really want to get one now! i just have to wait for the right one to come along...

Name
    Mel
    Thanks

Re: EDITED:: Lovebird questions... CAGE SIZE?

Ok... so im looking into getting a cage for a lovie

i rather like this type of cage....

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=179078635

is it any good?

the size is 45 cm wide by 35 cm deep by 71 cm high the bar spacing is about 2 cm... 1.5 cm maybe?

thanks!!

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

That cage is too small. Ideally, you want something no less then 18" (45 cm) in every direction, but preferably a bit more then that. 13 in (35 cm) is too narrow.

Name
    Mel
    Thanks

ah, ok. thanks for that...

what about this one?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=179168264

its like a flight cage, but twice as high...
    75 cm wide, 45 cm deep 75 cm high
    is it better? all the other cages im seeing are 35 cm deep.

gettin' married! Found a Mate FreudianSlip's Avatar
    Name
    Aerrica
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melza View Post
    ah, ok. thanks for that...

what about this one?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=179168264

its like a flight cage, but twice as high...
    75 cm wide, 45 cm deep 75 cm high
    is it better? all the other cages im seeing are 35 cm deep.
    I personally really like that cage! I wish I could find on like it for the Yellows!
    Even a small bird requires a large commitment!

Name
    Katherine
    Thanks

The second cage is much better than the first, just watch those doors cause they fall easily!

ULII & CALISTO

Remove Ads