Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breeding Pearl (female) and Pied (male) *update 9-28-08

Brand New Egg puertoricofishing's Avatar
    Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

Breeding Pearl (female) and Pied (male) *update 9-28-08

My female Pearl Cockatiel and my male Pied Cockatiel finally started laying eggs on Sept. 16 and laid the last one on Sept. 22. Four eggs in total were laid.

This is my male (Pepito). I believe he's a pied because although he is fully yellow like a Lutino, he has a few grey streaks on his wings.

This is my female (Pinky). I believe she is a Pearl, due to all the speckles. They are grey, white and yellow.

This are they're eggs after 10 days of the first one being laid and 4 days from the last one.

I can't wait till they hatch, I am wondering what type of tiels are going to come from this mix of Pied and Pearl. A friend of mine who breeds Cockatiels tells me that the male color is dominant, so the babies should look a lot like him. Is this true? Or is there a male/female DNA ratio?

Thought I should mention that I am feeding my birds Fresh veggies and fruits. Their favorite is Celery. I am trying to get them to eat guava and bananas, but they are addicted to Celery. I also feed they Cockatiel Seeds and Millet Spray. Plus the Cuttle Bone and a hanging treet of seeds covered with honey and rawhide. Today I gave them some white rice, that was left over from lunch. Is there anything else anyone can suggest I should be feeding them?

Last edited by puertoricofishing; 09-28-2008 at 05:53 PM. Reason: update

Name
    javi
    Thanks

Re: Breeding Pearl (female) and Pied (male)

pepito is gorgeous. i think that the pied gene is recessive so unless your female is split to pied ya will not have have any. very gorgeous birds.
    Life without birds, is not a life I could live

Name
    Gabriella
    Thanks

Ummm, it depends on what type of split your male is.

Pied is a recessive gene. It takes two pieds to make pied babies. So unless your femal is split to pied you might not get any. If they are not split to anything you will get normal gray babies. Males will be split to pearl.

But you never know, pepito can surprise you.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

pretty birds ...

As far as genetics .. male being dominant in color over female - what the breeder probably meant was the female is a pearl - which is a sex linked gene. Unless the dad is split to pearl - you will have no visual birds like the mother.

And like javi already said - to show visual pied birds - you need the male's pied gene and the mother would need to be split to pied.

As far as what to feed your pair - I wouldn't suggest feeding celery and it's full of water and really no nutrional value. You don't want them filling up on that and not eating something that's more healthy for them and the chicks.

Brown rice is better for them than white rice if you have some. You can finely chopped some veggies and fruits and mix in with the brown rice when you feed it. Chopped cooked eggs are good for them too, just not every day. My birds love mashed sweet potatoes!

Can't wait to see these guys hatch!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Flutter Farm Aviary
    "Happy Tiels From Our Nest to Yours"

Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

My male (Pepito) is the Pied. My female (Pinky) is the Pearl.
    I doesn't really matter which type of Tiels come out of this hatch, I'll love them the same even if they aren't Pied.
    But, given the fact that the male gene is the dominant gene, I am guessing that they will have some yellow feathers. Since the male is a Pied, but just 2 or 3 feathers on the wings and mostly yellow. The female is Pearl, but has a lot of yellow to her wings too. I'm not sure its very noticable in these pics, but her tail is yellow with pearl and her body is yellow with white and pearl.
    I hope I get a suprise mutation...

Name
    Gabriella
    Thanks

Your birds are very pretty. And pieds come in all different patterns. here is a pic of one of my pied babies. She was mostly yellow. And the one next to her is her sister (very light pearl markings). But her dad is heavy pied.

dad (left) mom (right)

Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

I checked the nest today and found a 5th egg. Must of been laid sometime lastnight or early this morning.

Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

I would like to know if it is normal for the female tiel to not sit on the eggs. The male tiel is the only one to warm the eggs. I am imagening that it is becuase its her first time, while its his second time to go through this. Hopefully she will get the idea of going in to warm the eggs and not leave all to him. Poor "Pepito" only comes out for a few minutes to bath, drink water and feed. She doesn't even go in to warm the eggs while he's out feeding. Is this normal?

Cockatiel Crazy!!!!! Baby JPerkins's Avatar
    Name
    Josh
    Thanks

Re: Breeding Pearl (female) and Pied (male) *update 9-28-08

Well, I think it is definatley normal if it is her first time. Sometimes it takes cocktiels two or three times to get the hang of it. She will get the hang of the duties of being a mom within a batch or two.

Are you sure that she is not going in the nest box at night? In most cases, the female will incubate the eggs during the late evening and night hours, while the switching of the guards takes place in the morning and the male will stay there until the female comes again to take over at night. She might be incubating and you not even notice it.

As far as it being bad for the eggs while Pepito is out eating/bathing/drinking; the eggs will be ok. They won't go bad or anything like that for the short time that he is out there. The warmth from the bedding and the warmth that the other eggs give off is enough to keep the eggs warm. Don't worry about that. Also, it is good for pops to go get some water as most of the time they will wet their breast so that the proper humidity level can be attained in the nest box.
    GOOD LUCK!
    Phillipians 4:13 - "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me."

http://www.perkinstiels.webs.com

Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

She does go in for short time, but only when Pepito is inside too, or to lay more eggs. Lastnight she laid another one. 6 eggs now... Poor Pepito, I hope he doesn't get tired of sitting on the eggs...

Name
    Gabriella
    Thanks

wow six. Lucky you. My pairs only produce 4 eggs and usually only 3 are fertil.

And I agree with Josh. The parent birds usually switch.
    So maybe she goes in at night when your sleeping. Thats why you dont see her.

Oh and p.s when it gets closer to the time the eggs hatch. the parents wont sit on the eggs that much any more. So dont go crazy thinking they abandoned the eggs.

Name
    Jess
    Thanks

cute!!

Name
    Josh
    Thanks

Cool.. six eggs! Do you know if they are fertile or not?

Gabriella--- you switched your avatar! That is a cool pic of Yoshi there tooo!!!

Name
    Josh
    Thanks

By the way Gabriella, you have a pretty cool website that I just checked out. I didn't know that you even had one... Very nice!

Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ticklekisses View Post
    wow six. Lucky you. My pairs only produce 4 eggs and usually only 3 are fertil.

And I agree with Josh. The parent birds usually switch.
    So maybe she goes in at night when your sleeping. Thats why you dont see her.

Oh and p.s when it gets closer to the time the eggs hatch. the parents wont sit on the eggs that much any more. So dont go crazy thinking they abandoned the eggs.
    Well, actually now there are seven eggs. Pinky just laid another one lastnight.
    Last edited by puertoricofishing; 10-02-2008 at 03:57 PM. Reason: add image