Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Biting

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ben
    Thanks

Biting

Hi Everyone

Sorry for posting yet another question when I dont reply to many, Im new to all this.

I was wondering how I can get my cockatiel to step up onto my hand. He happily steps up onto a perch everytime but as soon as I put my hand anywhere near him he goes to bite it.

I have read that I should keep my hand there and not move it to show him that I wonít be put off by his bad behaviour but I just canít do it, my natural reaction is to pull it away.

Any suggestions or clever tricks?

Red-tailed hawk Five Eggs Laid!
    Thanks

Re: Biting

Well... you can do the hand thing you mentioned. Start by only putting your hand as close as you can to your bird without him attacking it or freaking out. Keep it there until he gets comfortable. Tell him he's a good bird and all of that stuff, and reward him with treats. Gradually move your hand closer and closer until he'll let you near him. This might or might not take a while - it's not liable to happen instantly. It's liable to last several training sessions. But if you are patient and give your bird all the time he needs, he'll eventually warm up. He just needs to learn not to fear your hand. (You can always try holding treats in your hand, such as bits of millet, to entice him to come closer to your hand, too.)

It's true that you should show your bird at times you won't be put off by bad behavior, but I'm guessing you are new to having a 'tiel - or at least, that this 'tiel is new to you. In this case, I'd say that the bird is probably biting because he's afraid of your hands, and so you have to work at his pace and teach him you are nothing to be afraid of, rather than forcing your hand in front of him and possibly getting bitten. Putting your hand right in front of him like that with the intent to show him you won't be put off, is generally for when the bird is comfortable with you and happens to feel like being overly cranky or bossy towards you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ben
    Thanks

Thank you, so maybe im doing things wrong, i should almost let him come to me rather than trying to make him come to me. I'll give it a go, cheers! One more question, I have never been fully bitten by him, i have always pulled away. Is it really painfull?

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    terri
    Thanks

I would imagine that each birds bite is a bit different. Now Houdini......she tries to act all bad and stuff...but her bite isn't that bad. She has yet to break the skin or cause a mark, and I am still in the process of hand training her. Just yesterday she allowed me and my husband to give her head scritches....but it took me almost a month to get this far. So just hang in there....the bites aren't that bad. To me it feels like a light scratch ...but my hands are really tiny...so it may feel different to someone else.
    Our crystal tears now fall upon the ashes, but from the dust shall grow a new spirit, to be one in compassion for those who are lost, and one in determination to break those who dare test our resolve to be free.

Remove Ads