Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Cockatiel losing feathers

Hello all, i have 2 birds that i recieved from friends in 2000, when fully grown my bird to seems to turned out fine and quiet plumply while my sisters seems to be very thin and still is. until recently my sisters bird began to lose feathers under the wings and now from the feet to it's upper chest and around the beak, most of the birds body is not covered by feathers. My sisters bird seems not not fly normally either. I keep the house warm so the bird won't die of being too cold. I feel ashamed and quite stupid for not taking the bird to the vet, can anybody tell me what my next step is to help my bird? Both birds eat the same food and eat normally also dropping seem to be normal.

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Re: Cockatiel losing feathers

I would take the bird for a check-up with bloodwork and poop gram smear.
    It shouldn't be too expensive (you can find out prior to the appointment the cost) and it should pinpoint any health problems this bird has. Since the bird is not getting better and actually going the opposite direction, don't wait. Birds don't show illness readily so it is important to act now.

Animal Nut! Growing... Courtney's Avatar
    Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

When birds get sick they can sick fast. Not to scare you, just being honest but they decline rapidly. So I would definitely take that bird into the vets quickly. Is it possible the teil is molting? Do you have any pictures? Do you know if the wings are clipped?
    Loss of balance is not a good sign at all. I’m sorry again not trying to scare you but if you get it into the vets in time you have a really good chance.

Mom to Two Jack Russell Terriers (Rocky & Jack), 4 fish tanks, Two Parrots, Indian Ringneck (Chiquita) & Green Cheek Conure (Boomer).

Name
    Erin
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jasonkruser View Post
    Hello all, i have 2 birds that i recieved from friends in 2000, when fully grown my bird to seems to turned out fine and quiet plumply while my sisters seems to be very thin and still is. until recently my sisters bird began to lose feathers under the wings and now from the feet to it's upper chest and around the beak, most of the birds body is not covered by feathers. My sisters bird seems not not fly normally either. I keep the house warm so the bird won't die of being too cold. I feel ashamed and quite stupid for not taking the bird to the vet, can anybody tell me what my next step is to help my bird? Both birds eat the same food and eat normally also dropping seem to be normal.
    Do you know if the bird is picking out the feathers, or just losing them on their own? The bird needs to go to a vet, ASAP.
    Mateo (cockatiel), Oliver (RIP, friend ), Mina (parakeet), Chirpa (parakeet), Nigel/la (parakeet), Nico (parakeet)