Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Rats

Name
    Mell
    Thanks

Rats

SO my mom was wondering about pet rats. We have read up on them, but I want the dirt. This would be a pet mainly handled by my younger siblings, probably mostly my little 7 year old twin brothers. Are rats Ok kid pets in the least? On google images there are lots of pics of kids holding rats... My mom is a dog breeder, so all my little siblings are good at holding small animals, but there is always the chance that it could get dropped (there is that chance with adults also), is a rat going to splat and die? I am not talking dropped from the top of a skyscraper, just from a short persons hands. Biting, are they biters? I know that any animal could bite, but are they unpredictable? Do they bite alot, or is more of a 1-5 times in a lifetime sort of a thing? And about the smell, I have read that they dont smell, is it true? Obviously if they are living in a disgusting cage they will smell gross, but does the animal itself smell, like ferrets and male mice? Would it be best to get a rat that would live with kids as a tiny baby, so it would be used to it? Because there is a pair of female rats that are 4 months old for sale near us. This pair is described as one is shy and timid and the other is curious and friendly, does a shy and timid rat bite, or just hang back and get used to things? Could a shy rat become more outgoing, or would it stay shy forever? What do guys think? And dont worry my little brothers aren't like most kids with small animals, they dont throw them if the animal does somthing they dont like, they just put it back in the cage, And are over all very gentle, probably because they get to hold newborn puppies and think of small animals as fragile creatures that you have to be gentle with.

Name
    Elaine
    Thanks

Re: Rats

Rats are the most intelligent of the rodent pecies and the most affectionate. Males are much larger and more relaxed than females. Females can also be nippier. They always have to have another rat with them, preferrably of the same sex. They must be fed a mixture created by human hands NEVER pet store food EVER. They are predators so can be dangerous to other animals in the household.

Little children handling a rat... eh, I would caution against it. Despite being the most friendly of the rodents they are still squirmy.

They need HUGE cages and will use ever inch of their cage. NO AQUARIUMS. The ammonia from their pee builds up and can suffocate them or make them sick. They love toys... LOVE toys

Rats are prone to respiratory diseases and tumours. Sometimes a rat could be carrying a lung disease in it but show no signs until it is moved or gets older etcetera. And, of course, they need vet care

Males leave 'scent' marks everywhere which are kind of like little pee spots. They have huge Gonads but may be neutered -especially if you want to make them lazier and less agressive.

Rats smell. Their pee stinks, their poo stinks and they are helluva messy. If anyone is allergic to any type of pet dander rats are a big NONO. That was my problem and I ended up with hives from them. Any site or person who tells you rats don't smell obviously changes the cage eight times a day or has lost all sense of smell. As long as you keep up with the mess the smell isn't that bad but as soon as it starts getting a tad dirty... woo!

Rats don't often bite. Males tend to be less nippier than femlaes but that is not something you should go by. Same with hamsters, you should wash before and after handling them.

any animal being dropped is a bad thing. I mean, rats would probably be less fragile about it but no animal should be dropped.

Onto buying: Most pet stores sell feeder rats. It would be best to get them at a breeders. A shy, timid rat is never good. More likely to bite, less friendly. You could work with it but with no experience.... The best kind of rat to buy is the one that sniffs and inspects your hand when you stick it in their cage.

Young rats are okay. I won't say better but their deifnitely easier to train and such. My rats were older, much older and they never became really that tame... well, and I got hives from them so that must have done something too but anyhow...

Rats can be awesome pets. I would suggest looking for rodent forums and asking questions there. Typing in 'Pet Rats' in Google works.

Click the eggs and hatchlings!

٩(●̮̮̃̃)۶ Four More Babies Hatched! Skittles's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren
    Thanks

That was beyond perfect what Elaine posted!!!

i've had 3 rats in the past who lived to about 7 and were handled by children. They were great pets - didn't bite, weren't too smelly etc...

Rats can actually handle more of a fall than you think they can Ours had jumped anywhere from the coffe table to the floor - a 2 1/2 ft drop - to the middle of the bookshelf and down.

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Rats stink. I LOVED my boys to death but could never get past the smell. I cleaned their cage DAILY in order to be able to handle it. It was a huge ferret cage (I had big boys that were okay with wide bar spacing) and a lot of work to clean.

One word of advice if you're getting a rat or two, see about neutering. I have a friend with two male rats (I seriously prefer males, the two females I had were SO hyper) that are neutered and they do smell less.

All in all, awesome little critters. I love them to death. If I didn't have allergies and they didn't stink so much, I think I'd have meself a whole colony of them. Cuddly, loving, smart and sweet. Just the perfect pet... except that smell.

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

I have two rats and honestly, I will never own rats again.

My two boys are rescues, so that could be part of it. They did not start off life being handled, so they are very shy. One is a biter, but only if you're not thinking, if you pick him up with your finger right under his chin he can't bite.

They STINK. I keep them in my room, and even right after I clean my room smells again. They themselves don't smell bad, they smell like cornchips, but their cage is another story.

ALL rats scent mark, leaving drops of urine all over you. Males usually stop if they are neutered, spaying females doesn't really change anything when it comes to scent marking.

My guys have taken some dives off the top of their cage and not been fazed, but I would avoid dropping them if possible.

I researched and joined a rat forum before I got them, and the forum really paints them as being great pets, but I haven't really found that to be true... I think I'm just not meant to own rodents, birds are so much easier for me.

Name
    Lauren
    Thanks

LC!!! Normall it's the other way around - people have a hard time owning birds and understanding them! But I'm glad you own more birds

That was the only think that grossed me out about rats, was their HUGE gonads ahahahaha I don't mind their tails, but gawd! The males - and dragging all over you when they walk.. EWWWW

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

Lauren! You get used to their "goolies" after a while, I don't even notice them anymore. It is super gross with some of the boys though, I got lucky with my guys I guess.

I'm planning to get my boys neutered though, they've been fighting too much and just reek...

I like birds because you can just get them out and they can hang with you, it's not set up a playpen, get rats out, catch rat before he falls off cage, put back in playpen, grab rat who is trying to escape, put back in playpen. Plus, birds don't pee on you!

Name
    Lauren
    Thanks

Ah but they do pee on your! it just doesn't stink and if you let it try you can just sort of flick it off

I do remember now that I think about it, I had to baby-sit my rats more than my budgies at the time. It was always, make sure the dog doesn't play with them, make sure their cage is locked etc...

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

My birds are potty trained, if I remember in time I never get pooped on!

If I set up their playpen I can usually just leave them be, but I can't bring the rats around the house with me or watch tv with them or anything like I do with the birds.

Name
    Mell
    Thanks

Ok, rats are going to have to be NO then. My mom can not handle smelly animals. They sound great, but I wouldn't want to see my mom get some then rehoming them because of the smell.
    Dont't worry, i know its not good for any animal to get dropped, I just wanted to know if the rat happened to squirm and jump out of someones hands, I wouldn't want it to splat and die, animals that are good for kids are more of the bounce back up type.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Rebecca
    Thanks

I had two rats who recently passed away and rescued them from a labratory. I was sceptical about getting lab rats however by far they were two of the sweetest and most loveable pets i have had. By no means do i disagree with anyone on the posts that they do have a scent to them. When i first got them they had an awful smell however i provided them with a litter pan and ferret litter and toilet trained them to only go to the toilet in the litter pan. Whenever they were out they would go straight back to there litter pan and go to the toilet. This by far reduced the smell of them by just removing the litter from the litter pan each day. My dad at first who would complain each day of the smell said he could hardly smell them at all. There was a slight smell but nothing bad.

They were so friendly, whenever i came home from school they would be waiting at the door of there cage and get really excited to see me. They never bit untill they became very sick and i would definately recomend them to anyone who is prepared to give them the love and attention they need and you will definately be rewarded with a fantastic pet.

Remove Ads