Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: How do you decide?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

How do you decide?

How do you decide when you are given two options, one is best for finances and one your heart longs for?

Heres my dilemma; Ever since I was little I have dreamed about going away to college. But when senior year rolled around and passed by and money was in a crunch the local junior college was the only option. Dont get me wrong it was a great idea, saved me and my mom lots of money and got my GPA up super high. Well time has come to transfer and this is where my problem is. Do I transfer to the local university (not a bad university, University of texas at arlington) or do I go with my heart and transfer to a university I got into(ACU- Abilene christian university). It doesn't seem like that big of a decision until you put money in the equation.

*UTA-$8000 for tuition and free room and board (moms house) and a 40 hour a week job paying more then enough to put $1000 in the bank a month for savings.

or

* ACU-$18000 for tuiton, $10,000 for room and board and no job at first.

With the problems of today, which do you choose your heart or your money?

Name
    Jaden
    Thanks

Re: How do you decide?

Money is just too tight right now...

In the first one, you would have a job, and the schooling you need... the second one you could end up regretting later if you fail to keep pace with your debts.

For me, it would have to be the money... although it might break the heart for a while...

I believe in the big bang theory. God spoke and BANG! it happened.

Thanks

as sunbirdx said.. a degree is on longer as prestigious as it once was..
    as long as you have work experience with in field you are studying.. you will get the job..
    if you can find a job in what ever your field is while you are studying.. you are beyond set.

as long as you get the best grades you can get. I personally believe it doesn't matter what uni you go too.. if you always get As.. or High Distinctions. or what ever you call them in your uni.. (the best grade bracket possible).. and you have work experience behind you.. you are an extreme valuable asset.

they all teach the same thing mostly.. you can compare the study schedules of each.. and if they are the same. it all depends on the teachers/tutors. i go to not the best uni.. I could transfer to the best uni in my field if I wanted too but I really enjoy the environment at the university I am at now. I feel so comfortable there and feel that my lecturers and tutors are always there to help me. That I dont want to change just because the name of the university isnt as prestigious.

Name
    di
    Thanks

I too feel it depends on what you are studying. Otherwise I would have to advise going with the cheaper one as if you can't keep up the costs of the other, the stresses of that could very well take away from your ability to study too. Dreams are great to have but sometimes we also have to temper it with common sense if we need to make a choice.

Name
    DeeDee
    Thanks

You can always go to some prestigious university later in life. Lots of people go back for more education when they're finished with what they've chosen earlier on.

I just started going to college at age 30 and one of my classmates is in her 50s. She said that she has been waiting and waiting to go to school just for the sake of learning. The school I go to allows people over 60 to attend for free, too!

If I were you, I'd leave that door open for when you're ready to make a life change further down the road and go with the practical option right now. You've got it pretty good!

Name
    Shannon
    Thanks

As everyone else said, go with the cheaper school. UT isn't bad, I've had four family members graduate from the El Paso branch. Don't waste your money on these private institutions, because do you know where the money goes? Their pockets! Then you're left with probably $100,000+ in debt by the time you graduate. You'd have to take out personal loans with private institutions, not the government.

For example, one of the local colleges here that's private is Tulane, a very prestigious school. Tuition alone is $20,000/semester, plus other expenses. Do you know how much most of their professors and other faculty members make? Under $20,000 per year!! These private schools only pay their higher ups VERY large salaries, thanks to some students taking out many large loans for school.

Be wise and don't buy into it.

P.S. You can't have pets in dorms, so you bird(s) would have to stay home with your mom or be re-homed. Stay home, be cheap, and be able to enjoy your babies everyday.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

You all make very good points. I would be a jr so I would live off campus in an apartment and would only have two years of loans. I have been thinking a lot about it and It would be no questions asked except somewhere deep down I feel like I need to go away and get the experience of living on my own. Did any one go through this? I have been pretty independent my whole life but the whole living by your self doing things on your own really interests me. Any one regret not going off to school?

Thanks

I still love at home with my parent but alot of my friends at uni live alone in some shared house..

And maybe it's Australia.. but a girl I knew.. dropped out because she got sooo tired from working and trying to study four units (full time) at the same time. While others have to tighten their belt severely because we have a rental crisis here where rent is horridly expensive. The price of everything is going up. They all buy things on a need basis.. not a want basis.

It depends on whether you can do the long hours at work to be financially comfortable, and then go to uni and study (and keep up with your studies), and then come home to make the dinner and do the washing and all of this type of stuff.

I personally couldnt handle this. My mum wanted me to stay at home while I am studying and I wasn't going to object at all. But when exams come around and assignments, i am so glad that dinner is made for me so I have the extra time to study and ensure I do all of my readings and extra readings for reports or essays. And I am overtly grateful for this, I work very casually, only one a week. I feel as though I am able to absorb the full amount of information that I am learning at uni and not just knowing what I need just to pass the unit.

Name
    di
    Thanks

*nods*

Name
    Bonnie
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tashafreewoman View Post
    You all make very good points. I would be a jr so I would live off campus in an apartment and would only have two years of loans. I have been thinking a lot about it and It would be no questions asked except somewhere deep down I feel like I need to go away and get the experience of living on my own. Did any one go through this? I have been pretty independent my whole life but the whole living by your self doing things on your own really interests me. Any one regret not going off to school?
    It's only postponed, there are so many days i wish i could be less independent! LOL

You have your whole life ahead of you. Think of it this way... are you more likely to have to move back home after you have a couple years on your own because you don't have the funds to live on your own while paying back that steep tuition?

Snuggled, not stirred Teenager BridgeyRoo's Avatar
    Name
    Bridget H. Shea
    Thanks

Here is my two cents. I think going away to school is very important - you will have experiences that you will never have again. I went away to a private school and I have never regretted it. I LOVED the academics and the small school of it. I had dinners at my professors house, babysat for them, worked for the atheltic department, and got to play (actually play) field hockey and start lacrosse there. I was not a party person but still socialized and had experiences that cannot be traded (late night with friends talking and singing, smuggling pets into the dorms, horrible cafeteria food, senior week). Anyhow, my point is that these are times that you will get to have now without any other responsibilities and never again. Yes, I felt the crunch of homework and other things (jobs, etc) in college, but I also felt a freedom of sorts and it isn't one I have ever felt again. It is different.

So, here's what I did. I desperately wanted to attend the school I went to, which is a private and therefore high-priced school. I called them and I said, "I want to come to your school, but here is what other schools are offering me in terms of financial aid - I need for you to match this. I will be a great addition to your school and therefore this is a great investment. Without the extra assistance, I will not be able to attend, can you please try to find some grants and/or scholarships monies for me?" And they did. I had to call a few times and follow-up and bother them, but they found money for me. I got the cost down to the price of a SUNY school. So, if this is what you want, I would give it a shot, it certainly can't hurt to try.

Again, just my two cents. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you so much for your reply. I was beginning to think that I was crazy for even thinking about going away. I want to do the sorority thing but if I decide to stay now and go away later then that wont be an option. I havent got the financial stuff yet but Im almost positive its not going to be less then the public school. I also do not get money from the government because I am an "dependent" on my mother and she makes to much. Which is a rediculous ideal because a single mom cant afford to send any one to a private school. I have been filling out scholarships out the wazzoo to try and get money but it always seems like nothing goes my way.(never does in your own eyes)

Its just been hard to think about accepting not going away to school. I will get my bachelors in Biology and then transfer to PA school but by that time Im hopeing to be married so going away wont mean anything.

Theres no preparing for such hard decisions. Its hard to know which is the right one.

Snuggled, not stirred Teenager BridgeyRoo's Avatar
    Name
    Bridget H. Shea
    Thanks

I know how you feel - when I went to school I was a dependent too and my parents also looked too good on paper. That is why I appealed directly to the school and told them what I needed. They obviously want you there or they wouldn't have admitted you, plus, you have "life experience" which is something they are always looking for. See if they offer work study funds, grants and scholarships under the guise of other things. Really push, you never know where they can find money. The worst they can say is no.

If you can swing it, I would, simply because you will not have this opportunity again. And no you aren't crazy. I will tell you that I managed to escape from college with few loans. However, I am now in debt up to my eyeballs due to law school and my husband's med school loans. Plus I am now going back to school. Yes, loans stinks, but you deal with them and you find a way to pay them off. It works in the end.

Name
    Patty
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tashafreewoman View Post
    Tasha, I think going away to college is very important. I went away for undergrad (7 hours away from home) and it was amazing, I had three of the best years of my life, I was young (well, still am), had no job, was free from my parents, had no real responsibilities, went to class and had fun all day. It's the greatest feeling, I look back on it now and I wouldn't have traded that experience for anything. I am presently in Grad school and it's way different than undergrad. I took out loans during undergrad and am taking more loans out. I will pay them back when I start working. My friend who is living at her parents house still and didn't go away to college is regretting it 100%. I tried to tell her to go and push her... only now she realizes the mistake she made.

HOWEVER, also know that going to an expensive undergrad is not that valuable because undergrad degrees (as everyone has said) are not that valuable any more... graduate degrees are. I think the graduate program that you go to is more important than undergrad (if you decide for grad school) and I would spend more money on that.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Queen of her Flock Parent Sun_angel00's Avatar
    Name
    Cheryl
    Thanks

I think it is crazy to pay double for one school, when you have the option to attend a local school.

I did the work fulltime and study evenings/weekends (still a fulltime student) and living on my own, I regrett it, I do... I have 25000 in debt, which I can not afford to pay because I only take home 2500 a month and my rent alone is 1400, my car is 300, my insurance is 200, plus my utilities, internet and so forth are 200, plus dont forget about the food at 50/week and the birds... . If I could change one thing to how I did everything I would have stayed home while I studied, to me and have having a bachlors and a associate degree (yes I have 2 degrees) just wasnt worth it too me.

What I would do if I were you, I would start your program at the state uni and see about transferring your last year. Dont go into anymore debt before getting out of school or by the time you get out of your highend school you will be moving back with mom just to make your ends meet....

You can still experience the life of a uni student at home, trust me you will never be home anyways with work and class and someone else needs to be around for the fids.
    "I will lend to you, a Bird", God said, "and teach you all you have to do. And when I call him back to heaven, you will know he loved you too."

Remove Ads