where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: bite, bite bite!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    terri
    Thanks

bite, bite bite!

I visited the bird I'm going to adopt and I got a little discouraged. All he wants to do is bite. He'll step up but it's all biting first, and he just doesn't seem content at all. Just putting my hand up by the cage and he's continuously trying to bite it. I'm worried.

Name
    Erin
    Thanks

Re: bite, bite bite!

You're getting a cockatiel? How old? And when you say bite, do you mean bite hard or just grip with his beak a little? If it's a young bird, that might be par for the course right now. Give us some more info on this little bird!
    Mateo (cockatiel), Chirpa (parakeet), Nigel/la (parakeet), Nico (parakeet), WeeWoo (parakeet) and Peri (parakeet).

Brand New Egg
    Name
    terri
    Thanks

"Mango" is 6 years old and was just dropped off at the local pet store after living in 2 prior homes. I have a green cheek conure who never had a biting issue. Mango's bites aren't too hard, I guess more of a nip. But he's obviously trying to make us all go away.

Name
    Erin
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hops4 View Post
    "Mango" is 6 years old and was just dropped off at the local pet store after living in 2 prior homes. I have a green cheek conure who never had a biting issue. Mango's bites aren't too hard, I guess more of a nip. But he's obviously trying to make us all go away.
    Ah, he's just scared. Don't try and force the hands thing. Just give him time. Let him get comfortable first. You're going to have to work a little harder with Mango since he's been passed around a bit. Please be patient with him. For now, just talk softly to him and offer some treats. Just be near him, but don't use hands if he's nippy. Make sure he gets out of the cage time, even if it's just sitting on top of his cage.

He's probably got some trust issues since he's had so many homes. Please don't give up on him.
    Mateo (cockatiel), Chirpa (parakeet), Nigel/la (parakeet), Nico (parakeet), WeeWoo (parakeet) and Peri (parakeet).

Brand New Egg
    Name
    terri
    Thanks

I should also mention that his prior home had a mirror in his cage - which is still in his cage at the pet store AND he is very bonded to it.

Name
    Erin
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hops4 View Post
    I should also mention that his prior home had a mirror in his cage - which is still in his cage at the pet store AND he is very bonded to it.
    That could be a big part of his aggression. Some birds are very protective of the other birdie in the mirror. You may want to consider removing it and replace with toys, things he can shred and foraging items.

Do you have any pics of the cage or of Mango?

Thanks

I have a cockatiel like this but he is 5 years old I just sit bye the cage and talk to him most times he talks back to me well not really. but it takes time to build trust in a bird sometimes you have to understand from his point of view he dose not know you and he is scared of what you might do. Erin is right with the hands thing thats why i said just to sit next to the cage and talk to him tell him how hansom he is and that hes a pretty bird. all in a nice soft calm voice

Name
    Alison
    Thanks

Get rid of the mirror ASAP! My sweet little henny turned into a monster when I gave her a mirror.

Also, as Erin said, offer him treats to show him you're friendly And keep in mind, if his bite doesn't really hurt, he's not too serious about it. If a cockatiel really wants to hurt you - they can! My tiel (when I first got her) could draw blood, no question. He'll improve

Animal Nut! Growing... Courtney's Avatar
    Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

I do think it is the mirror. Rascal would defend that mirror in his cage like no tomorrow. He was a big biter, actually Chiquita is a biter too. However, it doesn’t really matter to me if they are biters. I just accept it.

Mom to Two Jack Russell Terriers (Rocky & Jack), 4 fish tanks, Two Parrots, Indian Ringneck (Chiquita) & Green Cheek Conure (Boomer).

Animal Nut! Growing... Courtney's Avatar
    Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

I do think it is the mirror. Rascal would defend that mirror in his cage like no tomorrow. He was a big biter, actually Chiquita is a biter too. However, it doesn’t really matter to me if they are biters. I just accept it.

Mom to Two Jack Russell Terriers (Rocky & Jack), 4 fish tanks, Two Parrots, Indian Ringneck (Chiquita) & Green Cheek Conure (Boomer).

Red-tailed hawk Five Eggs Laid!
    Thanks

I'd take the mirror out for good measure. That might be it.

Also, he's not just exploring your hand, is he? Birds will nibble on your hand sometimes to explore and be friendly. But if he seems like he's mad at you, he probably is.

Do you know the nature of the previous homes the bird had? Beau had one previous home (but she was treated very badly there) before being taken to the animal shelter. She showed a marked fear of hands at first. She'd yell at you and bite you (enough to hurt, but not enough to draw blood). But after being here for a while, she finally started getting used to hands. She'll even let us give her scritchies now too, although with me, she generally prefers that I tell her that's what I'm doing first. Now, for the most part, she doesn't bite hard and it doesn't hurt. Usually she is either bluffing or she's warning you to stop bugging her (if she's having one of those cranky days). She won't bite harder unless you keep bugging her.

I would definitely take that mirror out first off, though.