where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: African Grey

Bird Overload Hatched! Lovebabies Aviary's Avatar
    Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

African Grey

Hey guys... my neices father inherited his grandmothers African Grey. she passed away in march and the poor bird has been passed down relative to relative. Now he has it. I dont know absalutely nothing about them. He wasnt given any food for the bird so he ran to me. I gave him my lovebirds seed and pellets ... oh and spray millet and honey stick. Well everything i could find I dnt know what he would like. ... so now 4 hours later I am thinking what do AGs need? any pointers would help with food, toys, behavior, energy level?
    Last edited by Lovebabies Aviary; 10-27-2008 at 06:54 PM.

First Baby Hatched! parrotsRmyLove's Avatar
    Name
    Sue
    Thanks

Re: African Grey

Google African Grey care and print it out for your nieces dad. They need specific care. Does he even know if the bird was on a pellet or seed diet if not best mix the both. Also lots of fruit/veggies etc., Ruby my CAG eats more people food than her seed/pellet parrot mix.

I am sure this bird must be totally stressed with the owner passing away and being handed down the family line. I do hope your neices father is able to read up on the care and able to provide a good stable forever home for the bird if not it is best IMO to find a home that has experience with African Greys as they require a lot of care.

Each AG is different so there is no way to say what toys this one likes, I would suggest he pick up a few and see what the bird likes and what not.
    AG's are extremely smart and need to be mentally stimulated - puzzle toys, etc....They surely need lots of out of the cage time, mistings/showers. They need a high calcium diet. I could go on forever it is best for him to read. If he does not have computer access he needs to get to the library or book and pet stores to get what this bird needs ASAP.

I feel so bad for the bird, wish I was closer to help.
    Last edited by parrotsRmyLove; 10-25-2008 at 06:34 AM. Reason: spelling what else

His Royal Greyness' Mom Chick spoosrule's Avatar
    Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

If it would help I can tell you what I feed my African Grey. I sprout legumes and grains for him, which he really loves and are very nutritious. I also cook him a mixture of veggies and brown rice then run it through the food processor so he cannot pick out things he likes more than others. He gets sprouts usually twice a day and will eat the other cooked food in between or in place of one of the meals of sprouts. He also has Harrison's High Potency Coarse pellets available in his cage and I give him about a tablespoon or so of seed mix. He also gets raw fruits and veggies but he isn't a huge fan of them and I give him some of what I am eating as long as it is bird safe.

Name
    Mary
    Thanks

My CAG eats Hagen's Lifetime Granule pellets. No seeds. He gets a variety of fresh veggies/fruits. He may eat the fresh fruits/veggies, or he may not - depends on his "mood" of the day, and how high the fresh food is on his "love to eat" list.

Amongst his favorites are grapes, apples, corn on the cob. Funny though - he doesn't like berries - strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries... won't eat any of them. Strange bird.

He LOVES junk food, which I am not by any means recommending, but it makes a great treat once in a while. Junk food = peanut butter on toast, pizza, french fries, cheese puffs, etc. I swear he is like a child when it comes to food. If it's bad for you - he'll want it!

He enjoys most human foods - especially if it's warm. Pasta, meats, potatoes, etc.

Oh yeah, and he loves sunflower seeds. That's our "bribe" food when we want him to do something that he doesn't wanna do (like step up for ME).

Behavior - very calm, laid back, loves to watch the world go by either from the ledge of his cage, or (preferably) from "daddy's" arm. He'll tolerate me, but he'd much rather be with my husband. He's not an aggressive bird, but has bitten my husband a few times (even though he's his favorite!) It's more of a "pay attention to me!" bite when my husband is more interested in what's going on in TV land.

He hates new things (toys, perches, etc.) My husband built a playstand for Kaylaur back when we first got him, and he still refuses to go near it! He has perches, and toys that we bought for him that we can't put in his cage because he won't accept them. He gets very spooked by new things, or things he just won't accept. Yet, with all the commotion in our household due to selling the house, he's been awesome at accepting changes around him (walls painted from blue to neutral; wall pictures removed, furniture moved around, him being moved from room to room, etc.) Like I said, strange bird.

I, too, hope this AG finds a good, caring "forever" home with your niece's dad, and if not, hopefully he'll get rehomed quickly into one, as AG's are very prone to plucking, and neurotic behaviors, and this guy sounds like he's gone through a lot of stress already.

Good luck!
    Mary, Cosmo, Kaylaur, Perry & Tyler, and Spaz (temporary foster). And we can't forget the furry kids Pepper & Chewy!

Bird Overload Hatched! Lovebabies Aviary's Avatar
    Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

thanks guys