Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: about hand feeding....

Hattie

Re:

O.k. and I also have another question. Berkley (My male) has a white ring around his eyes. Someone said that's when their breeding, but he's always had that, ever since I got him. Any idea what this could be? ( And Yellow One doesn't have it)

Pray for Skyer. Teenager -Robin-'s Avatar
    Name
    Melanie/Fallon
    Thanks

Re: Re:

Hello This is some of Dizzy Dezzies advice I got It also includes some of mine!"your bird doesn't need to breed, and I don't think you should breed her.
    Firstly, budgies mate for life, and if you do find a male your girl will bond with, you will have to keep him, giving him away would make your birdie very miserable
    Secondly, what will you do when she has 4 to 6 babies? and then 4 to 6 more? and then more and more unless you separate her from the male or take out the nestbox? are you ready to take care of all those budgies? are you prepared to handfeed if your girl and whichever male you get refuse to feed their babies? Baby budgies need to be fed every 3 hours day and night, would you be able to do that? WOuld you have the money to take all of them to the vet if there's an outbreak of illness?
    And last but not least, breeding is very stressful on budgies. It can seriously harm your hen to lay eggs and look after babies, especially if she lays a lot... She doesn't need to breed, and it's no fun for her to breed...The male can turn down the female. He can not help at all. Your budgie having babies is like having six of your own! I really advise that you wait. Others can relate to what I am saying. Just ask around. They also have advice for you.

If you do decide to get a male and breed them, I've heard that they tend to fo for brighter coloured birds, and ones with similar markings to their own... "trying the males out" at a petstore will not work, as it takes a few months for budgies to bond to each-other and 'love at first site' doesn't happen that often.
    If you do get a new bird, quarantine him for at least a month to make sure he's not hiding illnesses that can be passed on to your birdie, and when you introduce him, re-arrange everything in your girl's cage, or introduce both of them in a new cage, so that your girl doesn't have to feel that her territory is being invaded.

It is really good to wait. But its your dision. I'd ask around first. the white ring is not really anything to worry about. Hand feeding is hard. Sometimes you have to grind up the food and give it to them. Or pellet by pellet until they are done. They have taken up to 1-2 hours when eating. And doing that every 3 hours is alot of work.

Anyway, just some thought......

MyBirdieSky ILoveBirdies

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

No, it isn't neccissary to handfeed unless the parents abandon the chicks, or become agressive to them. Then, it is every 3hours.

A white ring aroudn the pupil is normal in adult budgies- when breeding the pupil will shrink down tiny, and they will have a very, very noticable white ring around it.

Budgies need to be 2 yrs + for breeding

Hattie

about hand feeding....

O.k. I'm just thinking about breeding my birds, (I need some more research days though) just a few times to see how they do with babys. But anyway, is it a must have thing to hand feed the baby birds? I mean will my bird take care of the babys and feed them? And if so, will she eat and then regurgitate it back into the baby's mouth. And how big does the breeding box need to be? Thank you for your time.
    Bethany, Berkley, and Yellow One
    ^
    My birds.

Next bird-English Budgie Tailfeather Pootspete's Avatar
    Name
    Grace
    Thanks

Hi and welcome to Tailfeathers! Please feel free to ask any questions that you may have!
    ootspete

Hattie

Re: again

I wasn't going to get another male. You see I already have one his name is Berkley and they've lived in the same cage for well over three months. There always kissing and cuddleing that's why I was wondering about breeding them.
    Hattie

Thanks

Re: about hand feeding....

LOL
    that was some advice from another post where a person wanted to buy a male to breed their hen... but yeah, the general advice is the same - don't breed unless you have the time and the patience to handfeed if necessary.
    Most budgies are excellent parents and bring the chicks up very well without a lot of help from you, but some do abandon babies or become agressive towards them. You never know until you breed them, and if things do go wrong, and you are not ready to handfeed (because of school or work or whatever) the babies would die.
    You would probably need some cash put away for vet emergencies as well, there's quite a lot that can go wrong with breeding.

Yep, budgies eat and then regurgitate into the babies mouth. So if your budgies have many babies (6 or more) you might consider supplementing the babies with some handfeeding (say, twice a day while keeping them with the parents) when they get bigger (about 3 weeks old). This would just prevent the parents from not getting enough food themselves because of feeding all those hungry little beaks.

Ask the petstore in your area for a 'budgie nest box' - pet store usually sell ones pre-made for budgie size. There should be at the very least 5" by 5" of space inside the box, but most nestboxes store sell for budgies are bigger than that. A very important thing about the budgie nestbos is the floor - it has to have a concave part, so all the eggs would roll together (and not all over the place). This also often helps prevent splayed legs in the chicks.

Pray for Skyer. Teenager -Robin-'s Avatar
    Name
    Melanie/Fallon
    Thanks

Re: about hand feeding....

Yup! Dizzy! Thats the advice you gave me...lol