where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Out of control

Brand New Egg puertoricofishing's Avatar
    Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

Exclamation Out of control

If you remember from my recent thread http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...ad.php?t=57532 , I stoped marking the eggs after the third and lost track of the eggs after that, due to a tight schedule at work.
    Well, I'm not sure if this is a problem. On the 22nd day of the third egg, I decided to take those 3 eggs out. I would of left them, but Pinky kept laying eggs. There were already 9 eggs in the nest and I figured that 3 less were not going to be missed.
    Now 39 days after the 1st egg was laid Pinky has laid a total of 15 eggs in her nest and 1 egg outside of her nest (which was laid today). She is definetly "Out of control". I'm actually woried now that she laid an egg outside of her nest. (Should I of worried before ?)

Brand New Egg puertoricofishing's Avatar
    Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

Re: Out of control

Oh, I forgot to mention that both birds stay in the nest now, taking turns to come out.

Name
    Jo
    Thanks

Re: Out of control

Hi Daniel,

15 eggs is a lot (most hens lay between 3-9 per clutch) so you really need to make sure she is getting a lot of calcium. Cuttlefish, mineral block, brocolli would help, but I would also boil up some egg shells and then crush them and sprinkle these on her food as well. You can also buy liquid calcium which would help.

Now you've got a real sticky situation... you don't want Pinky to lay any more eggs yet you don't want to remove her from the nest and therefore risk losing the chance of any fertile eggs hatching and she might continue to lay more eggs anyway.

Pinky's health should be your first concern. You could separate her from Dad and give her time to rest and recuperate. Put her in a separate cage in a room away from Dad and make sure she gets 12 hours of 'night time' and hope she doesn't lay any more eggs. Or you could keep her with Dad and hope she finishes laying on her own.

And if you do remove her from the nest, do you leave Dad to try and hatch the babies on his own - which is hard work for a solo parent. Or do you abandon the clutch completely?

I have had hens do this on me, and I have separated them and farmed any fertile eggs out to other sitting pairs as I often have more than one pair sitting at a time.

The funny thing is that the hens that seem to have this problem generally seem to be pearls... Maybe the switch that tells them to stop laying doesn't work so well in Pearl Hens...

A difficult decision...
    The family:
    Dogs: Saba - Border Collie Cross Australian Cattle Dog & Jet - Black Labrador cross
    Cat: Pizzicato
    Tiels - 30+: Anubis, Anice, Azores, Beccles, Datoli, Fyfe, Gandalf, Ghia, Giotti, Graphite, Halo, Icarus, Io, Jin, Kadia, Kahmu, Kobe, Leukos, Merlin, Mochachino, Mizar, Mykonos, Nemesis, Nimbus, Olias, Orion, Paleides, Patmos, Pegasus, Rhodos, Sauvignon, Valentino, Willow plus we usually have some chicks ...
    Alexandrines: Elixir & Harlequin, Zhed
    African Greys: Georgie & Ptoli
    Hubby: Alan

http://www.harlequinaviaries.com

Remove Ads