Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dying my hair!

Animals Forever! Hatched! TielBudgieGirl's Avatar
    Name
    Malorey
    Thanks

Dying my hair!

I am sick of Brown. I have had Brown hair all my life. I am going to have it be like one of these.

Or if I went with the 2nd style I may have the colors switched around.

(Pictures from Google. Not mine)

Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Re: Dying my hair!

I like the first one better. I really don't like the extentions in the second pic and it's to much pink, lol. But it's your hair, have fun with it

Name
    Malorey
    Thanks

Haha, I didn't even notice the extensions! xD

I wouldn't have extensions.

Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Hehehe then I would like it better!! Those are terrible extensions

If you do dye your hair, I wanna see

Name
    Shannon
    Thanks

I <3 pink hair, but it is such a pain. Extensions might work ok, but they are a hassle and expensive from what I hear. Pink hair fades REALLY fast, so if you're going to pay someone to do it, you better have a lot of money set aside, because you'll have to dye it at least once a month for it to look right.

Another problem you have to deal with when you mix light and dark colors together, is the dye seeping into each other. I've dyed my hair a dark auburn on and off for over ten years, with white streaks in the front, and it takes some work. When I dye my hair, it bleeds red, and of course I wash my hair together. The red dye will bleed into the blond and give it a red tent. Then I'm stuck fixing the blond again. I can't even imagine what a mess you hair would be if it were a combination of black, pink, and blond. Oh, and since your hair is brown, you would have to bleach it and then dye it, or else it would just tint it. Bleach not only KILLS your hair, but it hurts when its on. I'm really sensitive to it, so when its on my head (not touching my scalp) it burns so bad it makes my eyes water and it gives me a headache. That's with a 20 volume bleach, which is sensitive. Keep in mind that you might be sensitive as well.

Like I said, I love pink hair, but just be ready to make a big commitment to your hair, financially and time wise.

You should ask Lori Ann (Merlinsmom) about this, she's a hairstylist.

Oh, last thing, black dye is really hard to get out. I've made the mistake of dying my hair black a few times, and in order to get it out color stripper or bleach had to be used on it. It depends on who you go to.

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

I made the mistake of dying my hair about a year ago, and redoing it about two times after. My hair grows fairly fast, so I always had roots that needed to be covered up, and then the dye faded and looked awful. I really wish I hadn't started in the first place, because now I have to grow it out and look silly in the process.

If they fit your style, of the two I like the first better.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

You remind me of my 16 year old daughter, she too dreams of having her hair in pictures just like yours. She has brown hair too and I wont let her bleach it out to get the bright colors you have in your pictures, just like Shannon said above the bleach is horrible for your hair and why do that to it. My daughter dyes her hair the colors but it dont show as well due to its on her brown hair but both of us really like it because instead of it looking so colorful its to me more sexy and prettier (Like i really want my daughter to look sexy but dont ever teen want to look sexy?). Last time we went to the river we took my daughters purple hair dye with us and she put a nice strand of color off to the side and we wrapped in a plastic bag to keep the color off her other hair and after a few hours down at the river she unwrapped it, rinsed it and it looked so good and the color is still there after 3 weeks which is really good for panic manic hair dye, it normally fades off really fast. We both think it was the suns heat on it that made it set so well but maybe it was the bag because we never did it that way before?? I think you should go and get some color hair dye and do a bit of your hair without bleaching it out first but make sure you dont let the colors bleed where you dont want it to bleed and you may just like the results of it. Granted it isnt flashy and colorful but still cute and I say very punk as well. Be careful when you wash the dye out, it will get on your skin, the tub and anything else it gets on so that is why we did my girls down at the river, she wore a old bathing suit and the river got the color in it, dont worry the dye is all natural so no we didnt kill the fish either The first time Carissa used the colorful dye and rinsed it out she screamed for me and I died laughing at her, the blue color was all streaked down her body and she couldnt get it off. It was sooo funny to see her like that and it took days to finally get it all off. She had to have me scrub her back and for days I laughed my butt off at her over it.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Malorey
    Thanks

Hm, I don't know if this would make a difference, but we wouldn't being doing it at home. We would go to a professional.

Banned Chick
    Name
    Sara
    Thanks

I don't know what would suit you best, but I think they both look cool.

Whatever you decide, you HAVE to post pictures!!!

Name
    Shannon
    Thanks

It doesn't matter if you go to a professional, the color will still bleed out when you wash your hair at home. The first couple of times I wash mine after having it dyed it looks like I have a serious injury. Use an old towel at least the first two times of washing your hair, because it will get dyed. I have my designated towel just for that.

Name
    Malorey
    Thanks

Lol, I may not do it until Summer, so then I at least don't have to go in public everyday! xDDD If there are problems or such.

Name
    Shannon
    Thanks

Don't worry, it probably isn't something that would stain your body. I've never had that happen in the 15 years I've been dying my hair, and it's been blond, brown, many shades of red, black, blue, purple, and pink.

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

I like the second better, without the extensions, and reversed colors. That's just me. I think the blonde in the first one looks super chintzy and fried.

Either way, I wanna see pics when you are done! I wish I was brave enough to get something like that done!

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

I'm not really into died hair; the most I would ever get is highlights. But some people can carry it off really well. Of the two, I like the second a lot more. The first one looks messier somehow, or more like a costume. It also looks older to me--various colored streaks, including white, reminds me of going gray.
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Switchbldekitten View Post
    I <3 pink hair, but it is such a pain. Extensions might work ok, but they are a hassle and expensive from what I hear. Pink hair fades REALLY fast, so if you're going to pay someone to do it, you better have a lot of money set aside, because you'll have to dye it at least once a month for it to look right.

Another problem you have to deal with when you mix light and dark colors together, is the dye seeping into each other. I've dyed my hair a dark auburn on and off for over ten years, with white streaks in the front, and it takes some work. When I dye my hair, it bleeds red, and of course I wash my hair together. The red dye will bleed into the blond and give it a red tent. Then I'm stuck fixing the blond again. I can't even imagine what a mess you hair would be if it were a combination of black, pink, and blond. Oh, and since your hair is brown, you would have to bleach it and then dye it, or else it would just tint it. Bleach not only KILLS your hair, but it hurts when its on. I'm really sensitive to it, so when its on my head (not touching my scalp) it burns so bad it makes my eyes water and it gives me a headache. That's with a 20 volume bleach, which is sensitive. Keep in mind that you might be sensitive as well.

Like I said, I love pink hair, but just be ready to make a big commitment to your hair, financially and time wise.

You should ask Lori Ann (Merlinsmom) about this, she's a hairstylist.

Oh, last thing, black dye is really hard to get out. I've made the mistake of dying my hair black a few times, and in order to get it out color stripper or bleach had to be used on it. It depends on who you go to.
    I like your second choice, reversed, too.
    Shannon is right, pink fades really fast, it will need redone at least every 4 weeks.
    At our salon, we actually recommend extensions for any vibrant colour additions. Less maintenance, less fading, and if you get Paris Hilton extensions they last indefinitely if taken care of, and are re-positionable, as your hair grows. They attach with crimped cylinders(<--click to see method). They are human hair, so can be curled/straightened. They are expensive initially, but one you have them, they are yours, and can be reused forever. Not for home use, in salon service only. (here anyway)

Surrounded by people who love life, you love it too;
    surrounded by people who don't, you don't.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin