Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: alternative to stainless steel?

World Ruler in the making Chick Edd's Avatar
    Name
    Edward Wong
    Thanks

Question alternative to stainless steel?

well, yeah, Stainless steel is getting even more expensive now, fifty pounds for 1m squared. If I did it that way for Jambo's (and future birds) flight cage it would cost more than Jambo, his cage, toys, food, vet bills all put together I can't believe the price. What I was thinking, in birdstreet Hong Kong, they sell these really cheap carrier cages that are about 1 meter across, a foot deep, and half a meter high, and they don't rust and they are about 2 us dollars. I mean, if I could buy loads of them and undo them all, sure I'd have a LOT of food bowls to put in, but I could weld them all together. I mean is this possible, just imagine the save in money. Anyway, chicken wire -> too sharp+thin, Nylon -> be chewed. Any other possibilities, wow I wish Jambo was a toucan, just IMAGINE how easy it would be. No feather chewing or biting, I could use fishing net for an outdoor aviary and a PVC pipe frame. I can dream. Oh yes I forget a toco toucan costs MORE than the amount of stainless steel i have to use.

So is there an alternative, could i paint it? cover up another metal? Such thing as aluminum mesh? Know of REALLY tough nylon mesh? I just need to find an alternative, its just too much money. I'd rather break into a gym and let Jambo fly than be robbed silly like this please help

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: alternative to stainless steel?

You cant use chicken wire, I heard it has zinc in it which could kill your bird. Dont weld anything together unless you use stainless weld because most welding things are also toxic to birds. Stainless is best but maybe others will know cheaper better material then stainless.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Edward Wong
    Thanks

yeah i was implying that chicken wire was too sharp and toxic, sorry to mislead you. I will definitely look into stainless weld. Alre there any non toxic paints? Or plastics that anybody knows of?

Edd

Thanks

Do not use plastics or paints either, there is no widely known reputable source for bird-safe paint.

Believe it or not, aluminum mesh is much more expensive than stainless steel and hard to find or get without making a huge order because it's a specialty item. Stainless steel is really the only way to go. You can use other metals and have them powder coated as well... this takes longer is quite cost effective hence it's wide use for parrot cages. Just make sure that the powder coating service you use doesn't have heavy metals in their final coating.
    "Questions open the door to knowledge."

Name
    Jaden
    Thanks

I thought that you could actually remove the galvanization off the wires... something about using vinegar, or something like that?

I believe in the big bang theory. God spoke and BANG! it happened.

Name
    Edward Wong
    Thanks

yeah, i thought there wouldn't be any paint or plastics out there. Stainless steel is the best I admit, but I do like the sound of powder coating. I've looked at sites in the UK and seen their services but I don't know which powder coat to choose. Here is the link,
    http://www.applegate.co.uk/products/00/26/486.htm

If I do use these guys, or if anyone I will definitely call to clarify that this is for birds and there CANNOT be any zinc or lead.
    Also could I powder coat with Aluminum . Basically what I'm asking is what is the list of items that I can powder coat with. And what should i use as a wire to actually powder coat? Sorry about these questions but I'm really interested because stainless steel is just too much, at the moment anyway.

Edd

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    I thought that you could actually remove the galvanization off the wires... something about using vinegar, or something like that?
    You can take quite a bit off if you're thorough but its not really realistic to think that it will all come off. Imagine the time involved!

Edd, you can use any powdercoating service that doesn't have lead or zinc in the top coat. Bars should be sturdy, not flexible. Iron will probably be the easiest to find and powdercoat.
    "Questions open the door to knowledge."