Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

Heavy Breathing and Panting.

First off, hello to everyone. This is my first post. I came to this website because recently my male Cockatiel began to breathe heavily and pant a lot. Since he was doing unusual behaviour recently in an attempt to mate with our female cockatiel (who didn't seem to be interested), i thought his panting was just another part of his odd behaviour. Upon closer examination, i've found he's been doing it a lot more.
    We do have an air freshener which was put about 1 and a half meters away from their cage around a week ago. I don't know when it was put there. My mum put it there. We also change their water when it get's to around 1 quarter full. I've found that maybe i should have changed it more often.
    Since i have school tomorrow, i can't egg my mum to take him to the vet, but i hope that she remembers he needs to be taken and take him. Since symptoms would only show up when it's critical, i'm very worried, so i want to know what i can do in the mean-time, and what i can do if my mum does forget to take him. No one else in my family seems to think there is much wrong with him.

We don't let the birds out very often, since we have an indoor cat which would love to have a munch on one of them if she could.
    We also have a small cage which has 2 Cockatiels and a Budgie. We can't afford to pay for a large aviary (something which i have wanted for a long, long time), so they don't have much room to move in their current cage. It's about 1 meter tall and 40 centimeters square.

Ok, i've explained everything that i think may be of significance. Someone please tell me what to do...

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Re: Heavy Breathing and Panting.

get rid of the airfreshener if you havent already- i use this rule- if it smells and isnt edible- it's potentially dangerous. Get your mom some nice natural pouporri- or better still make your own with dried flowers and natural scents. (dried cinamon sticks are gorgeous!)

water needs to be fresh everyday. would you want to drink coke that had been open for 3 days? (please tell me they answer is no!)

call your mom from school and nag her? it could be a respitory infectionn- there are a lot about this time of year. simple course of antibiotics might be all that's needed.

in the mean time if the cage isnt clean- clean it- like scrub it! keep the birds warm, make sure they arent in a draught, and make sure they get plenty of sleep- like 12 hours at least. cover them and turn off the lights if needed...

i hope he feels better soon

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Keeper of Macaws Brand New Egg WingedVictory's Avatar
    Name
    Gary
    Thanks

Hi, I keep many macaws , here are a few things I would do:

The air fresheners need to go. Change the water twice daily, you can add 2 drops of ACV (mother's brand only) to the birds water. The AVC will keep the water fresh. As the previous posted said clean the cage, I would recommend cleaning with 60 drops of GSE in a one quart squirt bottle or a mixture of 10% bleach solution, rinse bleach with clean water. Use newspapers in the bottom of the cage and change daily.

A sick bird should be kept warm and hydrated. The optimum ambient temperature is 85-87 degrees, for hydration you can mix children's pedealyte (non-flavored) 50/50 with water.

A respiratory infection will have to be treated with antibiotics, see your vet.
    The birds........
    http://www.pbase.com/wingedvictory/birds

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

Thank you for your help. I will see to it that this is done.

Animal Nut! Growing... Courtney's Avatar
    Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

I have to agree, air fresheners are very toxic to birds. They are sensitive to that so it’s got to go. The best advice is to get that bird into the vet ASAP and keep us updated. That water needs to be change daily and the food bowls always filled up and the cages need to be kept very clean especially if he is sick.

Mom to Two Jack Russell Terriers (Rocky & Jack), 4 fish tanks, Two Parrots, Indian Ringneck (Chiquita) & Green Cheek Conure (Boomer).

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

I have now taken him to the vet, though the man there didn't really sound very confident whether he was going to survive the night with them at the clinic.

Name
    Gary
    Thanks

The bird need to be put on oxygen and supportive care, then determine if he has a bacterial or fungal infection and treat immediately.

Gary
    The birds........

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

Ok, good and bad news...
    Good News:
    He survived the night at the vet, and they redirected us to an Avian Vet.
    Bad News:
    They found out that he had a lump in his stomach which was a tumor or cancer, and it was pushing onto his lungs, which explained the heavy breathing.

We have the options of either having him operated on or putting him down. The operation costs $400 and there is no guarantee he will survive it.

Name
    Gary
    Thanks

My heart goes out to you, a very tough decision. Ask for honest advice from your vet my friend.

Gary
    The birds........

Name
    Alison
    Thanks

Oh, I am so sorry, I don't know what to say...

I think Gary said it best: ask "What would you do if it was your pet?"

Animal Nut! Growing... Courtney's Avatar
    Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Oh boy, I'm so sorry you have to go threw this. To be honest I would put him down. If it's cancer or he will be in a lot of pain from the cancer. Do what your heart tells you! Very tough decision. Please keep us posted! Again, so sorry about this.

Mom to Two Jack Russell Terriers (Rocky & Jack), 4 fish tanks, Two Parrots, Indian Ringneck (Chiquita) & Green Cheek Conure (Boomer).

Thanks

oh my hugs for you this is tuff

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

What a sad situation for your bird and family Just follow your heart and do what you think is best. I will be sending lots of good thoughts and strength.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.