Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hi - New Parakeet here :D

Hi everybody! I'm new here and just wanted to tell everyone that I bought a budgie three weeks ago and she's doing fine. I've never had a bird before. She's less than three months old and when I took her to the vet she weighed 24g. She was hand raised for a bit and when I got her home she hopped up on my finger first try. I don't have a name for her yet.

Her cage is 21" high/17" wide/17" deep. She has toys and a ladder. Her wings were clipped before I bought her so she needs the ladder. I put pieces of banana, apple, lettice and carrots on the bottom of her cage sometimes but haven't witnessed her eating any of it yet (I think there were some beak marks on the lettice the other day though). She likes the fruitseed stick thingy I got her (really, really likes it!) I tried putting a millet spray thing in there but she's just afraid of it for now.

One thing that's kinda wierd though. I'm not sure if she likes it or hates it, but whenever she hears water she starts making noise. Usually she's quiet as can be, but when she hears rain or the sink faucet or even me peeing in the toilet she starts chirping and ack acking.

Anyway, I enjoy reading these boards and looking at pictures etc. I'm taking pics of 'the bird' and hope to post them in the future. Thanks.

Next bird-English Budgie Tailfeather Pootspete's Avatar
    Name
    Grace
    Thanks

Re: Hi - New Parakeet here :D

Welcome welcome to Tailfeathers!! Glad you are a part of our happy family here.

Congratulations on your new bird. I hope you can find a name for her soon. Can you share any pictures of her?

As for the water question, my birds react the same way, so yes you kind of wonder if they are annoyed by the sound or are excited by it. I know one of my budgie loves the water and will dive headfirst into a bowl of water. When I used to live near trains, my birds would also go crazy with hearing them.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Crystal
    Thanks

Hi and to TF!

My Buzzy reacts the same way to water but as of yet won't go into it. I've had Buzzy for a bit over a month now and he just started eating broccolli 2 days ago what a mess he makes but seems to throroughly enjoy it. This is his first vegi I've been trying since I've brought him home to get him to eat them.
    Best of luck to you Can't wait to see pics and hear what you pick out for a name.

Crystal

Pray for Skyer. Teenager -Robin-'s Avatar
    Name
    Melanie/Fallon
    Thanks

Hello and welcome to Tailfeathers!!!

Congrats on the new addition!!!

I hope you get the pictures and and let us know when you have picked out a name for the little gal.
    Yes, my little Skyer will act the same way to watter. Just aprrox. 1 or so ago I filled up her water dish and then found her slashing in it making a mess!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you for the warm welcome everybody. I took my film in today to have it developed, so it won't be long until my birdie is on the internet There are so many cute bird pics here already one more won't hurt.

Just for the record I'm glad the 'water' thing isn't exclusive to my birdie hehe.

BM: Congrats on Buzzy eating broccolli! I would consider that a huge milestone if my bird started finally eating vegies. More than likely it will be some type of fruit though, because that's mostly what she's been getting.

Also, I have finally named her after 3 weeks! I'm very excited about this because I have chosen a unique name unlike any other. I have heard that budgies like words with hard sounds, so I wanted her name to be something pleasing to her. Therefore, her new name is 'Pancakes' .

Name
    Nancy
    Thanks

ping

Thanks