where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: new here

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ruth
    Thanks

new here

Hi. I just found this board and hope it's active. I bought a budgie on a whim on Easter Sunday, at a flea market (yeah, I know, not the ideal way to get a pet). Anyhow, my expectations of a pretty bird sitting on a perch and chirping sweetly have been thoroughly changed! as I've watched my little guy hang upside up, squawk loud enough to pierce my ears, pace back and forth, do somersaults around his perch, and various other antics! I would like to welcome all experienced bird-owners to offer me tips and/or advice on being a good budgie owner. Thanks.

Next bird-English Budgie Tailfeather Pootspete's Avatar
    Name
    Grace
    Thanks

Re: new here

Hi there and welcome to Tailfeathers. Ahhh....you have a perfectly normal budgie. With all the hanging upside down, squaking and pacing back and forth, that is the norm. I think it is a rarity to have a sweet budgie sitting on a perch all day singing. You will grow to love your budgie. By the way what is its name?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ruth
    Thanks

normal budgie

When he didn't fall over within the first few hours of starting his pranks, I decided it was all part of being a bird! (Glad I assumed correctly....) I was a little shook up when I found him sleeping upside on his head in a corner tho!!! Anyhow, he's a very pale blue with light splotches of white, so we named him Skye (what else). Thanks for making me welcome!

Name
    Grace
    Thanks

Re: normal budgie

I was a little shook up when I found him sleeping upside on his head in a corner tho!!!
    How is he managing to do that?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ruth
    Thanks

upside down birdie

He was hanging on with one foot (claws) hooked into each side of the corner--the bars-- of the cage... He's a clever little guy!

Name
    Grace
    Thanks

Re: upside down birdie

Ahhh, so he is in the corner of the cage with feet hanging onto the corners of the bars hanging down with his tail straight up?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ruth
    Thanks

affirmative

Yup, that's about the size of it. He seems to have stopped sleeping upside down, tho, since I started letting him out to get a little exercise.

Pray for Skyer. Teenager -Robin-'s Avatar
    Name
    Melanie/Fallon
    Thanks

Re: affirmative

It is good to let him out and have some adventure time. Don't forget to socialize with him and play with him. Have you been handleing him? It is a good idea to handle your bird, as it can strengthen the bond between you two.

to Tailfeathers!

Name
    Nancy
    Thanks

ping

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ruth
    Thanks

Everyone has made me feel so very welcome here! I'm doing ok with my new bird-buddy, he loves to be out of his cage. He spends a little time flying around the room (all carefully closed and bird-proofed after he flew into a window one day ) and then the rest of the time he either sits on someones head or shoulder (my nose, once, my leg, wherever he can cling....) or on top of his cage. He's getting braver and has played on the coffee table a bit, too. So he gets handled a bit, handles us even more! and seems to be quite energetic and therefore, I hope, healthy. I didn't read anything about training him how to step on/off my finger until just recently, and he already comes to my finger quickly, so am not sure how I'll train that part now.... but will begin training to get OFF as he sometimes doesn't want to go back in his cage! Anyway, thanks everyone for all the help!

Thanks

Welcome to the board! Hope to see you around hereo