where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Macaw Abuse

Animal Nut! Growing... Courtney's Avatar
    Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Angry Macaw Abuse

I was at my cousins (Staci) friends the other day and you wonít believe this. My cousinís friend has a macaw and she has it in the absolutely smallest cage ever. You seriously would not believe how small it was. It was small enough for only one finch. I couldnít help myself and I had to say something.

Well I just said that cage is way way to small for that macaw. He said he didnít care. He doesnít like the macaw anyway and that itís just a bird. I bit my tongue for my cousinís sake.

Then Staci said something and I was proud of her. She said itís cruel and I said if you donít want in why not give it to someone who does. I just feel terrible for this macaw. I felt like crying because of how small the cage was. The macaw looked so unhappy. A person like that makes me totally sick. Staci is not an animal person at all and she even butted in.

I just donít understand if people donít like the animals why get one. I just donít understand. I will never even understand why or how people can abuse an innocent animal. It breaks my heart. I have loves animals since the day I was born. Everyone knows me as the animal nut.

Me and my cousin went back to my house and called the humane society. I know they will even think itís cruel. I sure hope they do something. Obviously he will know itís us that called but we didnít care. I went to my cousins friends how to see the macaw because my cousin knows how much I love animals. But we didnít expect to see that or him saying he doesnít like it. UGH, Iím so mad. I was shaking I was so upset after.

Mom to Two Jack Russell Terriers (Rocky & Jack), 4 fish tanks, Two Parrots, Indian Ringneck (Chiquita) & Green Cheek Conure (Boomer).

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Re: Macaw Abuse

That is so frustrating! Also, the humane society tends not to be that helpful, since they generally can't remove an animal unless it literally doesn't have food and water. Those are pretty crummy standards.

All you can hope is that he gets sick of the bird and tries to dump it at a welfare organization or (more likely) sells it. (Five bucks says he does this on Craig's List). It must be making a racket. After all, its a macaw. In a small cage.
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lķthien---Elwing---Tipti

Name
    Mell
    Thanks

Poor bird. Did you offer to take it? If he doesn't like it maybe you would be able to get it off him for free or cheap, and even if you couldn't keep it you could buy him a better cage and take him to the vet then sell him for how muchh it cost you to a home that can take care of him.

Name
    Meridith
    Thanks

Awww i am sorry. You did the right thing by saying something and then calling the Humain Socity. I feel so sorry for that bird. I have a Mcawa and he has never ben in a cage, the apt/house has always been his cage becuse it is almost big enough. I can only hope the Mcawa finds a loveing home with lots of room. it takes people like you to make a bad situation for animals in to good one. I would have done the same or worse i would have taken him home with me, I Realy dont have room i live in a 1 bedroom apt with the Mccaw and budgie I already have.

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

That's too bad. I don't understand it either. Why waste your time and money if you don't like animals or want to care for one? I wouldn't (if I didn't like them).

I hope he adopts it out or sells it or something so that bird is not in that cage the rest of his looong life.

Aussie + Kiwi + Phoebe
    RIP Amaretto, Bo, Duncan and Captain

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

That's horrible! I wish the poor little guy the best of luck. Can you give him the name and number of a rescue?

Red-tailed hawk Five Eggs Laid!
    Thanks

Aww, poor bird. What a horrible person.

First Baby Hatched!
    Name
    Lee
    Thanks

Good luck with this, hope that something does get done with it. Often, like Danielle said, the humane society might not do anything if the bird isn't starving etc. but kudos for reporting it. Keep us posted, and I hope that something good comes from this.

Slave to the aviary Baby katie-scarlett's Avatar
    Name
    Katie-Scarlett
    Thanks

For years now someone down the street has had two galahs in a tiny cage, but they've never been taken away as they're still in "acceptable" health. I drove past the other day and the cage door was open, and no birds. I wonder if she moved them inside, or found them a good home. I hope so, as opposed to just letting them go...

Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Poor bird. Did you offer to take it? If he doesn't like it maybe you would be able to get it off him for free or cheap, and even if you couldn't keep it you could buy him a better cage and take him to the vet then sell him for how muchh it cost you to a home that can take care of him.
    Yes, I offered to take the macaw and I offered some money for him as well but he got mad at me for asking. Who knows why but he is extremely strange and creepy. There is something wrong with him. I even offered to pay him for the macaw but I don't understand why he didn't sell it to me if he doesn't like the bird. I think he likes abusing it. I’m so mad. I would have even bought the macaw a huge cage.

The humane society went but unfortunately they didn't take the macaw. I felt like crying when they said that. I think they macaw would never be let out of the cage either. I'm so frustrated.

What else can I do? I’m desperate. I want that macaw to give him a better home. He is such a beautiful bird.

Mom to Two Jack Russell Terriers (Rocky & Jack), 4 fish tanks, Two Parrots, Indian Ringneck (Chiquita) & Green Cheek Conure (Boomer).

Name
    javi
    Thanks

that sucks. people just dont understand what all it takes to keep birds healthy and happy. the sad reality is that ya cannot save them all. and right now this may be one of those cases. but i should hope that ya continue to try to get this bird into a better home
    Life without birds, is not a life I could live

Name
    Patty
    Thanks

Oh Courtney what a horrible situation! That poor bird How sad. I hate it when people think that animals (or more specifically, BIRDS) don't have feelings!!!

Why don't you keep insisting and telling him that you CAN and WILL take the bird.

Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Oh the cage looked dirty as well! Not disgusting but Im a clean freak when it comes to my animals. So to me it looked dirty and the water had seeds in it.

It does not take much to make an anima happy. Nice clean cages, fresh food and water and time spent with them.

I really wish I could save them all. If I had money it would all be spent on abused and neglected animals.

I really will try to help that animal. Maybe I will get my cousin call and see if he will again, sell me the macaw. I know he is going to be EXTREMELY angry at us for calling the humane society on him. But at this point I don't care, I just want that macaw to have a better home.

All animals have feeling and all they want is love and attention. I just wish there was no animal abuse. But I’m going to call him today and beg him to sell me that bird. I would even buy him a huge cage. Cross your fingers he sells or gives me that bird.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I have all my fingers crossed Courtney!

I think this is a good story for any case in which people help improve animals' lives, and something to remember:

There once was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work. One day he was walking along the shore, as he looked down the beach, he saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself to think of someone who would dance to the day and he began to walk faster to catch up.

As he got closer, he saw that it was a young man, and the young man wasn’t dancing, but instead he was reaching down to the shore, picking up something, and very gently throwing it into the ocean.

He called out,
    “Good morning, what are you doing?”

The young man paused, looked up and replied,
    “Throwing starfish into the ocean.”

“I guess I should have asked;
    why are you throwing starfish in the ocean?”

“The sun is up and the tide is going out.
    And if I don’t throw them then they’ll die.”

“But, young man, don’t you realize that there are
    miles and miles of beach and starfish all along it.
    You can’t possibly make a difference!”

The young man listened politely, then bent down,
    picked up another starfish and threw it into the sea,
    past the breaking waves and said,
    “It made a difference for that one.”

We do what we can. :]
    click plz?

Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Ugh, he got really really mad at my cousin for asking. I guess he really laid it into her. She hung up on him, haha My poor cousin. So no, he will not sell the macaw; I even went over my money situation and pulled together as much as possible I could spend which was a good amount to give that bird a chance at life from depression. I really worry about that bird and it's all I can think about now.

Name
    javi
    Thanks

i am sorry it isnt working out the way ya like. but some people get real defensive and will not listen to reason. poor bird has to suffer. that is breaking my heart. i would fing a way to reason withhim but wait till things settle down first
    Life without birds, is not a life I could live

Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

No it really is not working out and I'm really upset thinking of that macaw in a finch cage. Maybe I will try again in a bit.

Name
    jake
    Thanks

ugh people anger me especially the ones that cant handle there animals. I think it ridiculous that humane society couldn't take the bird but honestly i would keep calling and harassing them util they're forced to do something. If it were me i would go around to the community and tell them your situation and the birds and tell the to call the humane socitety. Eventually they will be forced to do domething if the whole community is involved and it will get pretty tough on the kid too with the whole community mad at him. but thats just me.

Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Yes, people who abuse their animals really bother me. I will truly never understand animal abuse. I just wish it never existed. All animals need and want is love. Thatís all. I donít know why someone would get an animal if they are going to neglect or abuse it. Why bother. Some people are just plain sick. Oh me and my cousin are working on way to help this bird. We will really try to put an end to it.