Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Egg Bound

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Julia
    Thanks

Egg Bound

Hi everyone,

i initially thought my lovebird was ill because she was fluffed, drowsy and would hang out at the bottom of the cage - definitely not herself. i was going to take her to the vet during the week (because they aren't open on weekends).

however, on sunday, i noticed there was blood all over her bum. she had been pulling her feathers out. i immediately brought her to the emergency vet clinic and the vet told me - she might be egg bound.

right now she's taking baytril antibiotics. she is more active and doesn't look as ill but still picks her bum.

do you know how long it will take the egg to pass? the emergency clinic said a day or two - but i don't want to wait too long and have her get sick.

have any of you experienced egg binding?

thanks . worried :S

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Re: Egg Bound

I've heard that warm water soaks help, but I have no clue if that is true. I've never dealt with an egg bound hen personally, but I have a friend that did. I hope she's okay.

Toby the tiel Adult teddibear381's Avatar
    Name
    Erica
    Thanks

good luck and make sure you keep her cage extra clean.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Julia
    Thanks

yea i was told to keep her at 30 degrees. it is quite warm but we'll see. i just don't know if i should wait a little longer or go to the vet immediately. i wish i knew how to 'read' birds better =\

Name
    Joey
    Thanks

Ok, take some mineral or vegetable oil and put it on her vent. Try to place her into a shoe box on top of a hot water bottle covered with a towel. This will usually relax the muscles enough to allow her to pass the egg.

If she doesn't pass the egg within an hour you can gently and I repeat gently put some pressure above the egg and slowly help her move it out. I have been successful with this procedure but it has also been disastrous! So if you decide to do this please be careful.

If the egg is sitting inside her for two days, it will eventually put so much pressure on a nerve that runs between the legs that she may not be able to walk...I have seen that happen as well.

She should pass the egg. Was the veterinarian an avian vet?

www.freewebs.com/feathersupaviary280

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Julia
    Thanks

she actually was sitting on the heating pad for a while and semi fell aslp. i think my other lovebird is disturbing her.

i went to the emergency pet clinic. i think he specializes in smaller animals but i'm not sure if he is specifically an avian vet. he did direct me to another clinic so i will give them a try. Joey28 i see you're from ontario...do you know of any good avian vets in toronto? i've had success with finding 1 that's highly recommended but lookin for more options.

thanks for the advice!

Name
    javi
    Thanks

ya can also try a little liquid calcium. ya can get it at the health food store. my friend has used this to help pass an egg
    Life without birds, is not a life I could live

Name
    Sara
    Thanks

Aww... my lovie had egg binding, it's not a very fun experience. It sounds like you're doing a pretty good job, though. Just something to add to what has already been said; try making the room she's in more humid. If you've got a humidifier, that'd be great. Otherwise, put her in a bathroom with running water, etc. With my bird, I placed a hot, damp towel (not dripping of course- that'd be bad) over her cage for when I couldn't keep her in the bathroom. Also, and I know it's been said, but definitely try putting some vegetable oil/ mineral oil on her vent... and if you can get a small syringe and actually put some of it in her vent (carefully, of course) that would be the most useful. Just, once again, be careful. Finally, make sure your bird gets lots of peace and quiet; the more relaxed she is the better.

And if you can find an actual avian vet, that'd be ideal.

Name
    Jaden
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by javi View Post
    ya can also try a little liquid calcium. ya can get it at the health food store. my friend has used this to help pass an egg
    Calcium helps after the egg is already made? I thought that the calcium was only critical to help with the egg's development. If it's already made, how can calcium help?

(sorry, not getting on your case about anything, just genuinely curious)

I believe in the big bang theory. God spoke and BANG! it happened.

٩(●̮̮̃̃)۶ Four More Babies Hatched! Skittles's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren
    Thanks

I think I agree with katana.. I think the calcium helps in the development stage and isn't as effective administering it to a bird that is already egg bound.

Snuggled, not stirred Teenager BridgeyRoo's Avatar
    Name
    Bridget H. Shea
    Thanks

As Joey suggested mineral oil in/on the vent is good, but also giving her a drop orally may help - it helps move things along. Is she going to bathroom? Has she been going to bathroom? If not, then she is egg bound and needs to see a vet who can help her asap. Normally once a bird starts "showing" they have an egg it takes one to two days at most to pass.

Keeping her warm is great...if you can separate her from the other bird so she can rest that would be even better. Remember to provide water near to her, but not on the heat source because they often need excess water while in the hospital set-up. Also make sure she has room to get off the heat source if she wants to so she doesn't get too warm.

Best of luck....
    Last edited by BridgeyRoo; 12-03-2008 at 10:53 AM.

Caique Crazy! Tailfeather BareFootAviary's Avatar
    Name
    Briana
    Thanks

Please do not try to help her pass it by "gently pressing above the egg!" This can cause a huge amount of damage internally and even vets will not do this. If she doesn't pass the egg in a day or two, she will need an injection or for the egg to be broken and taken out.

Try the mineral oil, I have used it with great success.
    "I'd rather be the one in love than to be loved and never even known."

Signature made by Emery!
    My Aviary's Website
    Current Parrot Jewelry in stock!

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

the other thing i've seen done in absolute emergencies, and only with very tame hens who wont panic... is submerge their lower half in warm water... the change in pressure sometimes make it easier to pass...

BUT if there is any chance she might panic it probably is a BAD idea

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Julia
    Thanks

thanks everyone for your advice.

yes she has pooped but the color was much darker. i've also set up a humidifier in the room so the temperature is quite warm. i called and booked an appt with an avian for tomorrow. they will need to do an xray.

i'm wondering if she is eggbound because she's back to her normal self. the only thing is she is still picking at her bum and pulling the feathers. still also hanging at the bottom of the cage but taking more time to perch. we'll see tmr *cross fingers. will update !

Name
    Joey
    Thanks

Sorry I do not know of any avian veterinarians in Toronto, we have 3 here in Windsor. I only go to one of them though and she is pretty good. I'm 4 hours away from you though. Nice to hear that she is doing better.

www.freewebs.com/feathersupaviary280