where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brand New Egg
    Name
    Toni
    Thanks

English Budgie Breeders in California

Thank you in advance for any info you might have on English Budgie breeders in California. I would like to purchase a hand reared/fed baby boy. I live in San Francisco and have been using on line resources in order to find a breeder near enough to me. I am actually surprised that I'm having such a difficult time and am batting zero so far. Can you please refer me to a responsible and reputable breeder? Best, toni

Name
    Budgielicious
    Thanks

Re: English Budgie Breeders in California

I live in California myself and I recently attended a Bird Mart out here in Pomona. There were A LOT of English Budgies there, including hand-fed ones. If you give me a day or so, I could look up some of the leaflets and business cards to ones that are a bit closer to you, if that is okay.
    Owned by an Umbrella Cockatoo; 16 American Budgerigars; 10 English Budgerigars; 3 American-English Budgerigar crosses; 13 Cockatiels & 2 Canaries
    (Godmother of budgie (Pixel) and a cockatiel (Irwin)that are staying with me!)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

I just don’t understand the reasoning behind hand feeding English budgies unless there is absolutely no other alternative to save the chick’s life. English budgies are bred for their larger stylized size. Hand feeding budgies stunts their growth UNLESS you feed through the night like momma budgie does.

I can give you a LOT of exhibition contacts (breeder names), but none will damage their chicks by hand feeding.

English have been breed to be mellow, it would never do to have a show bird flip out on the show bench when the judge walks up to view it. They are way easier to hand tame then the American/wild type budgie. Male budgie make better pets. Many exhibition breeders that set up at bird marts will clip the wings on a few birds. Within 30 mins they can have these birds stepping up and off their hand and they sell these birds for a lot more than their cage mates who have not been worked with.

Name
    javi
    Thanks

yeah budgies are very easy to tame down. there is no need to handfeed. i have knwn many very sweet smart parent fed babies
    Life without birds, is not a life I could live

Name
    Hillari
    Thanks

Theres not really a reason to get a handfed one, as states by other posters.

Also - I am not a fan of English budgies. They were bred for looks and they have so many problems that they only live for like 7 years! A budgie is supposed to live 15-20 years. They were bred for the completely wrong reason and they suffer a shorter lifespan just because people wanted them to look nice I would much rather not support their breeding. But….then I am very baised.

"Loss is nothing else but change, and change is Nature's delight."
    -
    Marcus Aurelius

Proud mum of; Penny the Linnie, Tegan the BCC

Bow chicka wow wow! I... Found a Mate Breadpazoid's Avatar
    Name
    Jillybean
    Thanks

Well, for those who are planning to breed English Bugs, there's no time like the present to start breeding for longer lifespans and healthier genes. Although I agree that it does suck to be an english bug if bred by the wrong folks. But I do know that many english bug fanciers are pushing for better genes already.

Mom to Ducky! (female cinnamon GCC)...THANK YOU Keet for the gorgeous sig!!
    Won't you come see me after 12am?

Name
    javi
    Thanks

there are many birds and animals bred for looks. even the regular american budgie is bred to come in other colors than green. as the colored ones can be sold more wuickly meaning more money. tiels are coming in new colors. canaries are bred to be frilled, or red, or to have an unatual posture. there are pigeon breeds that cannot feed their own young because of short. puppies are bred to be smaller and more unusual colors. green cheeks are being bred in new colors. it is not just the english budgie so they shouldnt be singled out

First Baby Hatched!
    Name
    Lee
    Thanks

it is not just the english budgie so they shouldnt be singled out
    Although I agree, to a point, the English budgie, at least in this country, is such an inbred creature that often the babies are born with a mutation known by breeders as 'the feather duster' and turn into blind, deaf and seemingly dumb creatures that can't move, fly or even sustain themselves with food, they often don't live longer than four months;

This is one reasons I am not amazingly thrilled with the idea of breeding the English budgie, the Budgerigar society or show budgies in general. The pet type is a much healthier, energetic and adaptable bird.

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by McDenny View Post
    Theres not really a reason to get a handfed one, as states by other posters.

Also - I am not a fan of English budgies. They were bred for looks and they have so many problems that they only live for like 7 years! A budgie is supposed to live 15-20 years. They were bred for the completely wrong reason and they suffer a shorter lifespan just because people wanted them to look nice I would much rather not support their breeding. But….then I am very baised.
    McDenny

I can understand half of your reasoning, but am totally puzzled that you have failed to point out similar problems now in American/pet budgie caused by bird mill breeders. Why are you not voicing disfavor for the inbreeding and breeding to an exhaustive death in the American birds? The bird mill bred American/pet budgie has created budgies that now rival the size of finches! The poor quality feeding program mixed with breeding exhausted parents produces small chicks with poor health. These birds live JUST AS LONG AS MOST ENGLISH. Pet stores are “COUNTING on these birds to die out quickly so customers will come back and buy more.” I put that in quotes because that is word for word what a pet store owner told me.

There are English bloodlines such as Mannes and Armarad that DO keep their fertility and have a longer life span. I would suggest you don’t toss the baby out with the bath water as your last comment would suggest. An understanding of breeding AND bloodlines goes a LONG way!

Kerry

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by leebee View Post
    Although I agree, to a point, the English budgie, at least in this country, is such an inbred creature that often the babies are born with a mutation known by breeders as 'the feather duster' and turn into blind, deaf and seemingly dumb creatures that can't move, fly or even sustain themselves with food, they often don't live longer than four months;

This is one reasons I am not amazingly thrilled with the idea of breeding the English budgie, the Budgerigar society or show budgies in general. The pet type is a much healthier, energetic and adaptable bird.

Leebee

Feather dusters are NEVER something a breeder can or even wants to breed for IN ANY COUNTRY! This is a chromosome malfunction (if you will) similar to Downs Syndrom in humans.

The “pet type” is ONLY as healthy as a conscientious breeder is willing to put the work into them. Please reference my post to McDenny regarding bird mill breeding. Pet stores now prefer paying $2 for bird mill bred birds instead of the historic rate from conscientious back yard breeders some twenty years ago of $5 a bird.

Name
    Hillari
    Thanks

Kerry - I would suggest you not get so worked up because someone has a different opinion than you. I do not support breeding mills of any animal. Let me say that again, I do not support mill breeding, American or English. However, I do not support breeding for looks either, which is 100% where the English originated. Confused as to why I didn’t bring that up? Because this post is about English bugs, not American. However, the English budgie is much worse off than the American, it’s hardly fair to compare the two. The Americans DO live longer. Breeding for looks is wrong in any situation. Disagree all you want, as you are entitled to, I am just letting you know my opinion, which we are both entitled to.

-
    Marcus Aurelius

First Baby Hatched!
    Name
    Lee
    Thanks

Hi Kerry I'm aware of how the feather duster deformation comes about, but was simply highlighting that it is a problem specific to the English type, and currently here in the UK it would seem that in the majority of bloodlines here (from what I have read in 'Cage and Aviary birds', and from speaking to the other members of my local BS) a more common, and unwelcome occurrence.
    I admit, though, I was generalising a little when I said 'The pet type is a much healthier, energetic and adaptable bird.' However the generalisation was as a species, not to point out individual breeders, mills or similar. The same could be said with any animal, bird or reptile that is bred, 'you only get out what you put in'.

Name
    Hillari
    Thanks

Lee - I saw some video on MySpace that was like "look at this cute bird!" and they thought it was the coolest thing ever

-
    Marcus Aurelius

Name
    Budgielicious
    Thanks

There are English Budgies that have lived to be around the 10 year mark, you know. There is a breeder in San Diego that had a male live to be 11 years old. Supposedly, their average lifespan is 3 to 5 years.

I currently own a few English Bugs that were very lethargic and did nothing when I got them. Gave them a large cage, stuff to do, good diet and such, and they are all over the place. My English Bugs are more willing to eat and try out new food over their smaller counterparts. The oldest one I have right now is a 4 year old, who will be 5 next year.
    Owned by an Umbrella Cockatoo; 16 American Budgerigars; 10 English Budgerigars; 3 American-English Budgerigar crosses; 13 Cockatiels & 2 Canaries
    (Godmother of budgie (Pixel) and a cockatiel (Irwin)that are staying with me!)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

First Baby Hatched!
    Name
    Lee
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by McDenny View Post
    Lee - I saw some video on MySpace that was like "look at this cute bird!" and they thought it was the coolest thing ever
    That's really depressing. If they only understood how awful the condition was, then it might not seem quite as cute.

There are English Budgies that have lived to be around the 10 year mark, you know. There is a breeder in San Diego that had a male live to be 11 years old. Supposedly, their average lifespan is 3 to 5 years.
    I'm sure nobody doubts that some English bugs do live far beyond their expected age, as a species they do live a much shorter life. I'm not trying to sound harsh, but just because a breeder has an eleven year old, the sad fact is the majority of them won't even live to their expected age.

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

McDenny

I would suggest that you too not read more into my response than is there. More power to you and your opinions....BUT... I will always jump in when grandiose generalizations are made. Absolutely no confusion on my part, but "bashing" how one bird is being bred and staying quite about a large problem in (smaller) pet budgies leaves the bigger picture eschewed for others less informed who may be reading this thread. I'm not one to only provide 1/2 the information regardless the topic of a thread.

I am sure you do not have the high number of bird mill breeders in Alaska as we have here in the warmer continuos states. American/pet budgie produced in these bird mills and sold to large chain pet stores NO LONGER have the 15-20 year life span they use to have 20 + years ago. Give it time, the bird mill bred birds in your area will catch up, or should I say....shrink down and have just as poor of a live span as ours do here.

LeeBee

Melopstiiacus Undulatus comes as ONE SPECIES regardless of the countless common names: Budgie, Budgerigar, English Budgie, American Budgie, Wild Type, Pet Budgie, Parakeet, etc.

Are you familiar with Standard Poodles and Toy Poodles? Is one any less a poodle than the other just because of size? NO, each was "shaped" for it's specific size and look just like the English budgie was carefully bred for now over 200 years to reach the looks and style it has today.

As for correcting the English budgie and it's problems, it only takes OWNERS getting involved as well as BREEDERS standing up to say NO to the direction your new standard has just taken. If you won’t get involved in the organizations and their decisions, only standing on the side lines to complain then you are just as much as part of the problem than not. I took my stand when I saw it. I also miffed a few high ranking people like G. Al-Nasser when I told him the bird they were shooting for was becoming nothing more than a walking head. There is NOTHING behind the perch so the bird will have great difficulty standing/balancing let alone trying to breed.

When the BAA was creating our standard it was with great sweat, tenacity and forethought for the future. It took 7 months to hammer out the drawing. There had to be a lot of cooling off periods on the judges panel.

If you have a passion for these birds, then get involved at a higher level and work you way up the ladder.

Kerry

Name
    Hillari
    Thanks

Kerry- All of the budgies in Alaska come from mill breeders, they are shipped up here. This thread was about English budgies, so thats what I was talking about (as I have already said once). You can't take every single thread and make it a general issues when it was begun as a specific topic. Just because someone starts a thread about breeding bugs does not mean I am going to reply and start talking about the problems of breeding conures and macaws and amazons, also. Trying to stay on topic.

-
    Marcus Aurelius

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

Um, has anyone stayed on topic? The OP really only wanted to know of breeders in CA - not a debate over breeding and different types of budgies. If everyone wants to continue the debate, I suggest making a new thread.

Name
    javi
    Thanks

yes this is getting a little to heated. lets help out our op and find a bird.

Name
    javi
    Thanks

here is a link to bird breeders in california. it may help ya. just make sure ya buy from someone that will sell ya a young bird
    http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/bradc.htm

First Baby Hatched!
    Name
    Lee
    Thanks

Melopstiiacus Undulatus comes as ONE SPECIES regardless of the countless common names: Budgie, Budgerigar, English Budgie, American Budgie, Wild Type, Pet Budgie, Parakeet, etc.
    I hate to continue this, as the op did simply request for help finding a bird, but I did find this quite condescending Kerry
    I am more than aware that Melopsittacus undulatus is one species, and I simply stated that the English type was unfortunate in that it was the type that could contract the feather duster complex, the wild type (ie. pet type) has never been documented to have suffered from feather duster, so I'm not sure really why you had to make such a big deal over what I said.
    I suspect it was to undermine me somewhat...

Anyhoo, back on topic!
    Good luck with finding your budgie, and let us know if you do

Brand New Egg
    Name
    adriean
    Thanks

Learian3
    Simple answer to your simple question.
    Budgie breeder in San Francisco
    andyxuan@aol.com
    1-415-731-2849

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

This thread is a year old... I'm sure the OP has moved on by now.

Name
    Gary
    Thanks

I don't see the reason for hand feeding any baby bird for all the same reason's you give for the English Budgie.

Breeders "pull" the young and hand feed them to get the mother to lay more eggs earlier. Greed. A bird that is raised by the parents make great pets and are healthier or at least that is my experience with Cockatoo's. But you have to ask a higher price because you have them longer before you can sell them.

The worst thing I have seen is the pulling of the egg's and selling the egg's. That is just flat out wrong.

I hope I'm not off topic here.
    "The Great Spirit sent me Chloe... The other angels were all busy."

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wizard348 View Post
    I hope I'm not off topic here.
    Wondering why you've brought a post that is 2 yrs old back to the top?