Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Training tips

Bunny

Training tips

Hi, I am hoping that someone can give me some tips on how to make my two cute budgies more outgoing . We have had them now for one year, their names are Robby (male) and Papagena (female), and they are in love with each other, mostly. Robby is pretty hyperactive and Pappa is more withdrawn and a serious bird. Anyway, the door of their cage is open almost all the time that we are home, but they hardly ever come out. When they do, they do a quick zoom around the house and go straight back in. We have trained them to do "up" but only in the cage. And sometimes when they are lost in the house they will also get "up". We have tried to lure them out with hirse which they love, but they just go straight back in. Otherwise they stick to themselves. I got them from a pet shop and it must be a bad experience for them because they were really scared for ages (pappa had one missing claw, was filthy and sick, and had mangled feathers... I cant imagine what happened to the poor thing. She is doing much better now). Is it because there are two in the cage? Is it because they are male and female? When I was a kid I had a great budgie who was incredibly interactive and I would love it if these two were like this one, but I am happy to have two, its just a pity that they dont interact with us more. Besides that we just love these birds, slowly they do really funny things :haha and Robby is watching me write this email with 100% concentration!!. Any help would be appreciated.

ThisBbyAyu Hatching
    Name
    Ashley Kun
    Thanks

to Tailfeathers!!

Well you can try luring them out with spray millet, or whatever they're favorate treat is. It's harder to tame 2 budgies than just one. you can try separating them and taming 1 at a time. Just sweet talk to them and maybe they will gain trust in you! Keep us updated!!

Bunny

Thanks! Well yesterday we had some progress! Robby actually came out of the cage and ate millett out of my hand! This is a big step for a little bird who is convinced that every object is a budgie-eater! Actually I was sick for two days, and spent two whole days talking to them, so I think your advice on sweet talking them worked.

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

training

i have found that if my birds can see their cage, they focus only on that. so when i take the birds out, i hide their cage to interact with them. maybe you should do the same.

i would only do that for 20 minutes max, so they don't get too stressed. then, you get to be the special person who takes them back "home". and they will like you for that!ping hopping

Bunny

You are absolutely right about the cage, stress levels get very high when it is out of sight. My problem is that I cant even get them out of the cage, they always jump off my finger before I get it out of the cage, and I dont want to grab them of course. Well, slow progress is still progress... Robby dive bombed me while I was eating my dinner tonight!! He thinks its pretty funny I think, especially when he does it to guests..:haha

Hatching
    Name
    karen
    Thanks

Bunny try this

We just put a mirror with beads on Skyler's cage door so when we open it he can come out and play with it. He came out all weekend long. Of course he didn't fly around but he at least felt comfortable outside the cage.
    Speaking of drive bombing--we have vegetable soup one night that we had to eat with our face in the bowl and our arms around the bowl. Bailey kept landing in the bowls. Last week he did a splash land in a bowl of Cheerios with milk. He needed a bath after that one.

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

getting them out

try keeping the cage door open with a playgym on topof it and a millet spray on the play gym (where they can only get it if they are a tad adventurous.

let them come out of their own accord to get the millet, and they will get used to being in a safe place outside their cage. my two birds now think of their playgym as their vacation home!

once they are happy coming out onto the paygym (they will need to do this many times) then you can start teaching step up. then you can take them out & put them back in maybe...

Remove Ads