where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Lonely lovebird

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

Lonely lovebird

Hi, I am a bird owner by default. 8 1/2 years old my daughter purchased two Fischer's lovebirds, Gizmo and Gadget. She is now away at university and the birds are still at home. Three days ago I found Gizmo dead. He had some injuries to one eye, but I don't know if they occurred pre- or postmortem. They would occasionally get into fights and Gadget often bit him by the eye. One time she hit a small artery and there was blood sprayed on the wall behind their cage. I am concerned about what caused Gizmo's death. If it was environmental would they not both die? I think Gadget is the more fragile of the two as she has a malocclusion and I worry that she doesn't get enough to eat. Her lower beak grows up the side of her upper beak. I have tried trimming it, then read I shouldn't be doing that! On one side, her upper beak is thickened with vertical ridges or cracks. Her diet is terrible. They have never eaten anything except seeds. If I buy food with sunflower seeds and bits of fruits and vegetables they throw everything out of their dish and eat the seeds. They like millet, but if I offer them anything else they hang from the top corner of their cage and chatter and complain. The exception would be to offer them a piece of paper or a feather. Then they are beside themselves with excitement. Whoever gets the feather first struts around twirling it while the other tries to take it. Will Gadget have trouble adjusting to being alone after 8 1/2 years with Gizmo? She is the more shy of the two and doesn't like handling very much.

Thanks

Re: Lonely lovebird

Hmm, it really, really is time for Gadget to see an avian vet. It was probably not environmental because Gadget is still around but it has happened, sometimes multiple birds will drop dead and only one will live.
    Anyways, beak thickening and overgrowth is a common sign of liver disease which in this case would be attributed to poor diet. But it is treatable.

Birds have to deal with this in the wild because they mate for life so the bird should adjust to the loss alright. However birds need a "social life" and the bird will suffer greatly without one. Most of us here keep birds as companion parrots so we are their social interaction but maybe you can or cant offer that.

So it's up to you if you want to deal with the vet, socialization (or getting a new friend, with a whole new set of potential issues for that route), diet change, et cetera. Maybe something else to consider would be to find a local bird sanctuary or rescue?

I hope that helps some.
    "Questions open the door to knowledge."

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry for your loss, fly free Gizmo...

Gadget will be OK in time, it is so hard when they lose there mates but time usually heals most hearts, poor girl Maybe without Gizmo around Gadgit will come to be your friend, I heard many people say one is easier to tame then two birds together.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Animal Nut! Growing... Courtney's Avatar
    Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Im so sorry Gizmo passes away, that is tough. If they were fighting I would keep Gadget alone due to aggression. Love birds can be very aggressive. She will adjust to being alone.

If you are concerned about Gadget getting sick I would take her to the vets for a check up.

I keep Chiquita alone and I love it that way, she has my full attention and I get her ALL to myself. They will be much more bonded to you that way. So it’s fine if they are kept alone.

Mom to Two Jack Russell Terriers (Rocky & Jack), 4 fish tanks, Two Parrots, Indian Ringneck (Chiquita) & Green Cheek Conure (Boomer).

Egg's Cracking... Stewieandkiwis'mom's Avatar
    Name
    Becky
    Thanks

Sorry for your loss of little Gizmo. I agree with all the above posts. Gadget should really see an avian vet for a checkup. She should be fine in time without a mate. My little lovie is very bonded to me. I don't even think he thinks he's a bird. She should come around, and who knows she may strike up a bond with you and see you as her other friend.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

Thanks everyone for your words of condolence. I took Gadget to an avian vet. She still had good muscle mass but the vet didn't want to see her losing any weight. The vet said her beak deformity was due to trauma and the injury is at the root of the beat. She used a Dremel and sanded both top and bottom beats. It looked as good as new when she was finished. However, a month and a half later, the bottom beak has already grown up the side of the top beak. I can not afford to spend $55 every month to six weeks to have her beak trimmed. Any ideas?

Caique Crazy! Tailfeather BareFootAviary's Avatar
    Name
    Briana
    Thanks

Is there anyone else who can trim her beak for you? Around here there are bird groomers and also vet techs who will do it for cheap.
    "I'd rather be the one in love than to be loved and never even known."

Signature made by Emery!
    My Aviary's Website
    Current Parrot Jewelry in stock!

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

You can also check around at local bird clubs and rescues, they should be able to refer you to someone.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

also has she got plenty of good chewing things in her cage?
    will she chew? if not maybe you can show her how.

my lovie (gorgeous and sweet as she is) can be a little thick with toys... i have to teach her to play with them. i usually tease her. hold it right in front of and as soon as she reaches for it i snatch it away saying "cant have it!" then i offer it back, and reapeat a couple of times. it drives her crazy and she's usually shredding in no time. only really takes a couple of times for her to get the idea. some nice chewies should at least help keep the beak down x

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Remove Ads