where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dogs and Birds

Name
    Keri
    Thanks

Dogs and Birds

Does anyone have any experience with dogs and birds? I have two macaws and am considering getting a dog. My number one concern is getting a dog that will not harm the birds. They are kept in a bird room when we are not home/sleeping. But the rest of time they spend out in the main living area with us. Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated!

Privacy please! I'm Found a Mate sarahmom22's Avatar
    Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

Re: Dogs and Birds

I'd be more afraid of what a giant Macaw beak would do to the dog honestly lol.
    I have a Golden Retriever and a Chinese Crested Dog. I'm always cautious, but honestly, the dogs ignore her. I've trained Nigel (Golden) to leave her alone and he does. The other day Diva (my Cockatiel) was doing some exploring on the floor and I was supervising...she waddled right up to Nigel and started preening his whiskers. He turned his head because it tickled, so she started preening his foot. He got up and walked away. He didn't know I was watching, so I was VERY impressed with how he reacted Diva has also preened Maddie (my crested) and Maddie just let her. It really has a lot to do with training the dog. Of course not all of them are as tolerant as mine.

Name
    Keri
    Thanks

LOL. Good point about the macaw beak.It's also really cute that your bird preens your dogs. My sisters bird did the same thing to her kitten. How did you teach Nigel to leave the bird alone? I have been considering getting a dog from a shelter but I worry that if it is not raised as a puppy to live with the birds it may not go as well.

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Yes, lol. I am a dog trainer and as much as I absolutely love my bird, my dogs were my first priority when Rosco came home. Turns out, my little Green Cheek Conure is a very brave little girl and will sooner attack my dogs AND cats before she allows them to show any interest in her.

I have a couple of dog/bird interaction pictures... hang on a sec.

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Egg's Cracking... Stewieandkiwis'mom's Avatar
    Name
    Becky
    Thanks

My dog is a german shepherd mix, and is very tolerant of all the animals. At first we had to be careful when we first got the birds but he has learned they are off limits. The birds can fly to the ground and he won't touch them. Petrie, my lovebird, has even hitched a ride on his back, and he just looks at my like, "Please get him off of me," It is very possible to train a dog to be tolerant of other animals, but you always have to remember to not be to relaxed in that situation because there is always a first if the dog gets spooked and unfortunately that could mean serious injury to the bird. My birds and dog are only out together when I'm around, otherwise they are in their cage.

Thanks

Two Macaws and you want MORE animals!? You're nuts!
    "Questions open the door to knowledge."

Name
    Keri
    Thanks

I loved those pictures! That has been one of the cutest things I have ever seen! And yes, I want more animals. I love them! I think after the dog I will be done though. Three kids is enough.

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Yes, the collies are particularly gentle with other animals. I wouldn't trust my GSD with a ten foot pole when it comes to Rosco, but the collies I trust completely.

Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

[QUOTE=sarahmom22;597664]I'd be more afraid of what a giant Macaw beak would do to the dog honestly lol.
    QUOTE]

So true!!

Quote Originally Posted by RoughCollies View Post

Wow amazing Roxy!!! I love that!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    I loved those pictures! That has been one of the cutest things I have ever seen! And yes, I want more animals. I love them! I think after the dog I will be done though. Three kids is enough.
    Could we see pics of your babies?

Ok I have a min pin and 4 birds. I have taught my dog how to act around the birds. He loves to play with Pepper (Nanday) but only when supervised. I'm sure you will be find as long as you're supervising them

Name
    Keri
    Thanks

Ok here is one of Maui on his perch in the living room. He loves bananas.

Here is one of Kita also on his perch in the living room.

And here is one of Maui being his normal goofy self.

http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...pictureid=1843

Name
    Shannon
    Thanks

I was terrified when I adopted Lily! I was careful about what breed of dog I chose, and I really drilled the foster parents about the dogs I was considering. Diego (my tiel) was stuck in his cage the first few days, and he is out all of the time, except when he's sleeping. Luckily, Lily's smart, and listened to me very quickly. Within about 4 days, if I yelled stopped, mid-run, she would stop. Since then she's used become used to Diego. She avoids him, and he often waddles over the other side of the couch to visit her, but she just glances at him and runs off. I think he's tempting to her so she gets away from the temptation of him. He's used to my family dog that recently passed away, and they were good friends. He waddles over and makes kissy noises at her, and calls her a pretty bird. She wants none of it, though. Like others said, training is very important. I think I, as well, would be more worried about the damage my macaw's beak would do to a dog!

Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

You have beautiful birds!

Name
    di
    Thanks

My old dog ignores the tiel and vice versa, Bird flies around and dog sleeps on floor. Never alone together. I am very very wary though and have only started to allow this as it gets so hot here in summer and old dog needs the aircon, as we do. I did know however that the dog was fine when staying with my son and his last bird and dog would just walk away, even when challenged by the tiel at his own food bowl. I just hope and pray I will not be one of the members who does lose a fid to a much trusted pet but it can and does happen and can in the blink of an eye.
    In your case though I hope you are not thinking of a very small breed of dog as I would be afraid for IT, not the macaws, lol

٩(●̮̮̃̃)۶ Four More Babies Hatched! Skittles's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren
    Thanks

The only dog Kirby has shown up was a 90lb rottweiler and the dog ran away hahahaha

My boyfriend's parents' new dog, Cody (boxer) i will NOT trust with them. He knocked over their cage a few months ago by jumping up at it. And he thinks Kirby's biting is a fun thing to antagonize..

Nope.. Cody+Birds=disaster waiting to happen

Remove Ads