where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Thermolon

Your friendly admin! Tailfeather Community Administrator Dan's Avatar
    Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

Thermolon

Anyone heard of it? They have frying pans with it now. It claims to be non-stick but is based on ceramic so no fumes are released when overheated...sounds really great.
    Please check your signatures to make sure they fit within our signature rules (to be found in the announcements forum)!

Supercharge your Tailfeathers account with bonus features -- join Tailfeathers Gold today!

Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

Re: Thermolon

The article claims it's safe for birds.
    http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:...n&ct=clnk&cd=2
    Please check your signatures to make sure they fit within our signature rules (to be found in the announcements forum)!

Supercharge your Tailfeathers account with bonus features -- join Tailfeathers Gold today!

Name
    Hillari
    Thanks

I haven't heard of it, actually. Sounds interesting, though! I personally like my copper and stainless steel pans =) The boyfriend loves to cook with cast iron

"Loss is nothing else but change, and change is Nature's delight."
    -
    Marcus Aurelius

Proud mum of; Penny the Linnie, Tegan the BCC

Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

One site said it's safe for birds if the bird isn't in the kitchen -- that makes it sound iffier. But I don't know.

Loki - love in bird form Four More Babies Hatched! peachee's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

I just bought a similar set to the one you mention though I think Thermolon is probably just a name-brand like Teflon is a name brand (simply meaning non-stick containing PTFE). Mine specifically says 100% chemical free so I don't know what else could be harmful to birds. I am more concerned about the quality in regards to lifespan; stainless steel without a non-stick or aluminum with a ceramic-non-stick... There are too many options! ACK!

Edit: interesting tid-bit of info... When used at high temperatures, cookware coated with Teflon and other non-stick substances emits fumes that can kill pet birds and possibly make people sick.Many of the chemicals used in non-stick cookware don’t break down in the environment. They persist for long periods of time, and are absorbed by seals and other wildlife, with unknown consequences. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has asked manufacturers of non-stick cookware to remove all PFOA, the chemical thought to cause the problems, from their products by 2015.
    Last edited by peachee; 12-20-2008 at 05:21 PM.

See videos of Loki and the boys here!

Tailfeather
    Thanks

I use Starfrit's Ceramic coated pan. PTFE/PFOA free, guaranteed. I LOVE it. Have had it a few months and not a scratch on the surface. Much stronger than teflon. We use it for eggs & pancakes only. The two foods I can never master in stainless.

And here is a PDF link with all the info you need on Thermolon.
    Last edited by ~Lori~; 12-20-2008 at 05:43 PM.

Surrounded by people who love life, you love it too;
    surrounded by people who don't, you don't.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

Ok, so thermolon and other similar products are thus indeed safe? The one website that said that it's ok 'as long as the birds aren't in the kitchen' claimed it was a quote from Thermolon itself and so that made me a bit worried, but everything else I found make it seem perfectly safe.

Tailfeather
    Thanks

I believe it is safe. As for the 'as long as the birds aren't in the kitchen' quote, any cooking fumes may be hazardous, in whatever pan(heavy french fry grease odor, spills burning on burners, burnt food, etc). I think in general keeping birds out of the kitchen while cooking is a good idea.

Surrounded by people who love life, you love it too;
    surrounded by people who don't, you don't.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

well... ceramic hair straighteners are non-stick... and mine dont smell, as long as they are clean from nasty balms and sprays

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Loki - love in bird form Four More Babies Hatched! peachee's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    The one website that said that it's ok 'as long as the birds aren't in the kitchen' claimed it was a quote from Thermolon itself
    Along with what Merlinsmom said, the company also probably says this to cover their own butts just in case! I do believe it is as safe as SS is.

See videos of Loki and the boys here!

Name
    Hillari
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pixibubbles View Post
    well... ceramic hair straighteners are non-stick... and mine dont smell, as long as they are clean from nasty balms and sprays
    Fair enough but the chemical in non-stick is odorless anyway.

"Loss is nothing else but change, and change is Nature's delight."
    -
    Marcus Aurelius

Proud mum of; Penny the Linnie, Tegan the BCC

Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

We got one. It's great. Called the Kyoto Green Pan, eveything else is way envirnmental too which is a plus. I've never owned something non-stick before -- it's fantastic. So easy to clean.