where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Rescue budgie home and has a name

Hatching
    Name
    karen
    Thanks

Rescue budgie home and has a name

Thanks to all that helped me decide on sending an application and what it entails to have two budgies now. When we arrived he was not the mint green like the picture showed on the Internet. He is almost all white with the light sky blue on his chest and back. His tail and wings are all white with spots of black. None of the Irish names , mint or Caribbean names fit when we say his coloring. He sang on the way home but was very quiet the rest of the day and night. You can put your hand in the cage without him going crazy. today we worked with a perch to step up and back down. He is starting to explore his surroundings and tried taking a bath in his water dish. So we took him out on his perch and he let us spray mist him and then he sat on my shoulder and preened. He sat on my daughters finger while I cleaned his cage tray. This is the only concern as his poop is grass color green and wet. He has the white but it doesn't stay in the tight circle. I'm hoping it is just from the stress of the ride over 1 and a half hours home and the new place. I named him Skyler and we are keeping my daughter's budgie Bailey in another room. He knows there is a new bird in the house and wants into that room. He does his call to try and get Skyler to respond.

The Fanatical Eriwinkle Baby Erin CG's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Rescue budgie home and has a name

Congratulations! Skyler is a lovely name. And kudos to you for getting a rescue bird!!

Hatching
    Name
    karen
    Thanks

Thanks Erin

Only problem we are having with Skyler is he wasn't held and he attacks your finger forever and won't hop on. We are trying the perch or a pencil that worked the first 3 days but now he attacks that. The center kept Skyler in quarintine for 3 weeks and said about one week apart from Bailey should do if we see no problems. Bailey is smart for 10 months and knew there was another bird in the house and he knew Skyler was in my office. We kept them apart for 3 days and this morning Bailey shot past me into the office. Skyler is in his cage and Bailey is walking around the two sides I don't have covered. they are chirping to each other and becking and (kissing) I think. If Bailey flies away Skyler will give a sharp chirp and Bailey flies back. Same if I take Bailey out of the room. Bailey and Skyler will do the sharp chirp to each other. When I do get Skyler out without Bailey around he will sit on your shoulder until you put him back to his cage.

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

Re: Thanks Erin

Awwww. That's so nice that they love each other already. Your description of how Bailey shot past you reminds me of how Mudge used to shoot past me whenever I opened the door of my room back when he was younger. He went straight to my sister's tiel, and spent all day preening that bird almost every day.

Next bird-English Budgie Tailfeather Pootspete's Avatar
    Name
    Grace
    Thanks

Re: Thanks Erin

That is great news and to top it off they are getting along well! Keep us posted of their progress daily together.

Hatching
    Name
    karen
    Thanks

Re: Update on Skyler and Bailey

Today Skyler was so happy to see Bailey come in the room with me that he started to sing and make some noise. He is really quiet. If I turn music on that gets him going too. Skyler has been doing less scratching as I give him a daily misting. He had a lot of white dander when we got him. His dropping are normal. I'm going to have to take him to get his nails clipped as they are so long he gets them caught in his cage cover and on the carpet. I'm not sure if I should wait until he has been here awhile or upset him not since he isn't totally settled with a vet visit. What do you guys think? I let Bailey have some time in the morning and evening with Skyler on the outside of his cage. I cover part of it so Skyler can get and away from Bailey if he wants to. They both seem to enjoy this and my only concern is they nip each others toes. I think they are playing as they don't squawk at each other they just do a sharp chirp and move. I forgot how frustrating taming is. Skyler would rather stay in his cage and won't step up on the perch or pencil like he did the 2nd day. Once he is out of the cage he is much better.

Hatching
    Name
    karen
    Thanks

Re: Update on Skyler

I took Skyler to get his nails clipped as yesterday he got one caught and it took about 5 very long minutes to get his nail loose.When we got into the car he was scared and all the way there he did his sharp chirp for Bailey to come to him. He was so good though at the vets.He didn't make a peep the whole time. The vet got him out with a small hand towel and showed me how he restrained him his thumb and finger. He clipped the end of his beak as Skyler never was given a cuttlebone. The rescue center clipped his wings and I told the vet he still could get about 5 feet in height. He said since they already clipped them how about we take off a little more so it is easier for you to tame him and he will depend on you more. He said he is small for a parakeet but as long as he was eating (seed,pellets and broccoli) he was happy. He also said he wasn't underweight as he felt around his breastbone as was very satisfied with the amount of meat (he called it) he felt.

Remove Ads