Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: confused

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

confused

With out knowing any information from the original owner of my tiels, is there a way to tell what they would produce? they were paired by the lady that owned them and used them in her breeding flock. I am almost positive the female is a pearl lutino. the male looks to be a normal grey, but has a few white spots on the back of his head and his wing bars are yellow instead of white.

Cream of Cockatiel Tailfeather sammit's Avatar
    Name
    Sam
    Thanks

Re: confused

pictures will help identify what main colours your birds are and some possible splits but without knowing the parents of either bird, or the outcome of chicks if theyve bred before ,its impossible to tell what extra mutations they can be split to..

"im now under the impression that sarcasm is the body's natural defence against stupid" - sam

http://sammitshomecooking.blogspot.com/

Thanks

I agree with Sammit

Pictures speak a thousand words

though the only split you can visually tell on a cockatiel is if they are split to pied but getting the "base" mutation helps a lot then of course when you breed them if you get mutations you weren't expecting from the pairing, you'll know a parent (or both depending on what you got) is split to it, Then you just figure out who it split to it or if both are

But keep in mind Not all splits come out 1st time around - I learned this one

I have a Grey Male split to pied (he has the pied marking on the back of his head), paired to a Pied female

1st clutch 3 babies born all 3 are pied - no big surprise there

2nd clutch again 3 babies born 2 pied 1 Lutino - that was a surprise

another pairing here is what I thought they were
    Male - White Face
    Female - Cinnamon Pearl

1st clutch 4 babies every single one Pearl, I got a White Face Pearl, a White Face Cinnamon Pearl, Cinnamon Pearl , and Pearl

This told me The male is Actually - White Face pearl Split to cinnamon and the female is actually cinnamon Pearl Split to White face

their 2nd clutch produced 4 babies, 2 pearls , 1 cinnamon pearl and 1 white face pearl

As the 1st clutch grew older I noticed the 1st born (pearl) was also Split to pied - I am assuming the Mom is split to pied, the dad doesn't have none of the "signs" of being split to pearl - Patch on back of head, white toe nails while rest are dark

but the mom has a mix of white and dark toe nails So i'm assuming she is Also split to pied along with the White face.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Naughty Mommy Hatched! tamaralynn24's Avatar
    Name
    Tamara
    Thanks

THey're gorgeous!!!!

Name
    Jo
    Thanks

The more I look at the lutino, the more I think she isn't a pearl, but maybe a pied. The pearlings affect each feather and they are tipped with yellow or white - depending on the mutation. This produces an even scalloped look, whereas the pied gene randomly changes the colour of a whole feather to white or yellow. Her markings don't look even from what I can tell in the photos.

Now, if your male has a couple of white feathers on the back of his head, then he will be normal split to pied (at least) and this could mean that you will have either normals, normal split to pied or pied babies. Any boys will be split to lutino and if she is a pearl the boys will be split to pearl as well. Now, this is assuming that your male doesn't have any other splits. If they produce a lutino chick, then he is split to lutino and the chick could be either male or female. If she is a lutino pearl and they have a pearl baby, then he is split to pearl and the baby could be either sex. If she isn't a pearl, then he is split to pearl and the pearl baby is a hen. Any cinnamon babies will also be females and means Dad is a split to cinnamon. You won't be able to tell what splits he is carrying until he produces a baby with a different mutation.

Hope this helps.
    The family:
    Dogs: Saba - Border Collie Cross Australian Cattle Dog & Jet - Black Labrador cross
    Cat: Pizzicato
    Tiels - 30+: Anubis, Anice, Azores, Beccles, Datoli, Fyfe, Gandalf, Ghia, Giotti, Graphite, Halo, Icarus, Io, Jin, Kadia, Kahmu, Kobe, Leukos, Merlin, Mochachino, Mizar, Mykonos, Nemesis, Nimbus, Olias, Orion, Paleides, Patmos, Pegasus, Rhodos, Sauvignon, Valentino, Willow plus we usually have some chicks ...
    Alexandrines: Elixir & Harlequin, Zhed
    African Greys: Georgie & Ptoli
    Hubby: Alan

http://www.harlequinaviaries.com

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

thanks odge for that!! as confusing as it is to me, i may be able to make some sense out of it. I havent decided yet if i am going to breed them or not. first things first; i am focusing on getting them on a healthier diet. they came to me on an all seed diet, and i know that isnt good for them.