Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Pot Seeds?

Frosty and Cooper's mom Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Beth
    Thanks

Pot Seeds?

I know this might sound awful, but I am curious of its accuracy. The other day I was talking with my hairdresser about my bird. She mentioned when they bought her grandmother a budgie that wouldn't talk, her father complained to the pet store. The pet store gave her father marijuana seeds to give to the bird, and since then the bird talks all the time! I am not saying I'm about to try this, but I was wondering if anyone else had heard of this. Thanks!

Name
    Emi S.
    Thanks

Re: Pot Seeds?

That's so weird! I've never heard that! That would be illegal no?

I'm A budgieaholic Tailfeather kathy5's Avatar
    Name
    kathy
    Thanks

I think that some one else was eating thoes seeds as well that Is insane!!!

Where The Birds Always Sing Tailfeather Birdmad Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

they bought her grandmother a budgie that wouldn't talk, her father complained to the pet store.
    I HATE THAT!!!!

A bird is more than a little novelty gadget that talks, and a bird that doesn't talk does not in any way deserve to be rejected. Fancy complaining to the pet store! That fact that a bird can talk is certainly not a reason to get one.

With regard to the seeds, I have seen various seed mixes for sale, where the outer packaging lists the various seeds inside, and did notice hemp seed in some mixes. I have looked it up in the past, and found that it is included in certain bird seed mixes. I can't remember exactly what nutritional value it has, but I know that in small amounts it isn't harmful. You can actually buy hemp seed in pet stores by itself, but it must not be given on it's own, as it will be toxic. If you are not sure, best avoid.

I think that is was the bigger parakeets and parrots that has this in their mix, not small budgies, but again I may be wrong. I can probably find some literature about it for you from a book. I will look a little later.

I don't think that the hemp seed found in bird mixes is exactly the same stuff that you would grow marijuana from anyway - everyone would be getting their drugs from pet stroes otherwise!

Frosty and Cooper's mom Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Beth
    Thanks

Lol Thats true. I was just curious if anyone else had heard of this. I'm not concerned about Frosty talking, she doesn't really have any interest in it anyways. Thanks for the replies.

Where The Birds Always Sing Tailfeather Birdmad Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

I have found the book I have that mentions the hemp seed. There is a table here with all the different seeds that can be found in different bird seed-based mixes, and the nutritional content of each.

According to this, hemp seeds contains 31% raw fat, 23% raw protein, 19% carbohydrate and 4.1% ash.

The book also talk a little about each type of seed, and for hemp it says:

Hemp seeed should be fed, if at all, only in very small amounts. Hemp seed, which is grown in southern countries, possibly contains toxins that are injurous in the long run.
    Probably makes the birds all forgetful, confused & paranoid in the long run, if what happens to long-term dope smokers is anything to go by!

I don't understand where the idea that hemp seed made the bird talk came from at all. I reckon it was just a co-incidence, hence now we have another urban myth, or 'old wives tale'. What does the bird say? Probably things along the lines of 'where's my drugs?', or 'I've got the munchies!'.

:haha

On a serious note, I'd have a word with the owners of that bird if you can, as hemp seed fed to that extent can't be doing the little bird any favours.

SKYNIGHT1

:haha ok i just had to reply to this one, only because i think it is the most amusing post i've read so far. it was good for a laugh i have this picture of a budgie eating pot (possibly crushing it & rolling it) kicking back with a bag of chips, then crashing. i agree, i think someone was eating those seeds before they came up with this one!!

Remove Ads