Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I really need some advice, good honest advice (RESULTS!)

Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Talking I really need some advice, good honest advice (RESULTS!)

Ok so I am completely stressing. I've been a wreck. I just started going back to work (a new place) so I am checking into my new command right now (I'm in the Navy). Well one of my things on my sheet is Health and Wellness. They do you're body standards right there. Well here is my situation. Iam over my height/weight standard. By 14 pounds... . I need to be at 160 for my height and right now I am 174. The reason I've gained so much weight is because I've been so lazy while on vaycay. I haven't worked out and I've been pigging out. Also, I used to take Effexor and Zoloft for my anxiety but I decided to go off both last month. Both have helped mekeep of the pounds by supressing my appetite and now without them, and my laziness, I blew up. So because I am over my wieght, I had to gettaped to measure my body fat. The Navy does Neck, Abdomen and Hibs. Well I was over my body fat max too. She taped me at 35% (I think). I need to be no more than 33% or I get inrolled into FEP (fitness enhancement program). I have never been in such great danger of goig into FEP. So she helped me out. She is giving me until monday to drop 2% body fat (impossible to drop 14 pounds, lol). Well I have been dieting like crazy and working out and I just taped myself and it said I am 34.4 % right now. I am so upset because I feel like there is no possible way for me to loose that by monday! I can't go to FEP, I really can't! I have never done bad at any PT test and I could pass one right now!! I just got big! My big problem is my small neck and big hips. I have huge hips and Ineed to drop 1.5in in order to be withing standards. If I just had a bigger neck my one inch, or were taller by one inch I would be in the clear.

Do you guys have any advice for me? Comforting words? Even the God honest truth. Am I getting my hopes up? What should I do? I am about to go to the gym again (2nd time today) and hit the treadmill for 30, pool for 15 and sauna for 15. Monday morning I plan on getting up really early to hit the sauna for as long as I can bear it to hopefully sweat something away. Any advice would be so appreaciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by schlisa; 01-05-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Vicky
    Thanks

Re: I really need some advice, good honest advice

Don't take the BMI too seriously. My own doctor admits it's not very good. It doesn't take into account too seriously and you can't ever change how you're built.
    Don't stress, don't overdo it trying to lose weight because it'll make you ill.

*hug* Be careful and look after yourself. I don't know much about the FEP or anything so I can't offer any real advice, just support and best wishes.

Name
    di
    Thanks

I think that you know that this time frame is an impossible ask, as yea sure, you can drink water, nibble a lettuce leaf and lose body fluid to try and get to that level, but at a cost to your body.
    I hope you weaned properly from the zoloft too as that also can be affecting your body and moods if you stopped cold turkey.

May I ask why that program is such a horror to you? Isn't it what it is designed for, to get people back into shape if they have not done it themselves? (son is army and also has to pass these) Being Devils advocate here....Didn't you know this was on the cards but you chose to do it anyway. hoping that there could be a quick fix at the end of it?
    Something I try to do which is in no way easy is if there is a situation that I can't change, I have to change the way I am trying to cope with it. Try and approach from another angle in my thinking...eg this test is coming up. plan a is I pass, plab b is if I have to do the course then I have to but by hell it has shown me I have to keep a watch on myself and it won't be happening again...do the course then leave it behind you.
    I really feel for you, you have had the move, nessie lost and the holiday period, all great strains where we tend to comfort ourselves with food, only in your case it has implications for your work...adding more stress.
    All I can do is send you my support, that people here do care and I am so glad you felt able to talk about it.
    Hugs

Name
    di
    Thanks

Just had a thought, my chiropractor did a manouver on my back and said congrats, you are now an inch taller. He will never do this one just for that reason but do you have a friendly one who might?

Bow chicka wow wow! I... Found a Mate Breadpazoid's Avatar
    Name
    Jillybean
    Thanks

Aww Lisa, I'm sorry!

I have an honest question for you though, what is so bad about the FEP?

Mom to Ducky! (female cinnamon GCC)...THANK YOU Keet for the gorgeous sig!!
    Won't you come see me after 12am?

Thanks

only things I can suggest re: weight.. because your situation sucks is EAT VERY HEALTHILY..for the time, try to just eat veggies and fruit. NO SALT! It makes you bloat out.. do not drink anything BUT water.. no juices, no soft drinks, no cordial just water.. and work out like crazy.

First Baby Hatched! parrotsRmyLove's Avatar
    Name
    Sue
    Thanks

My son is in the army so I am familiar somewhat with FEPS. I hope you are able to sneak by on Monday but they really gave you a short time to get within the limits. Keeping you in my thoughts.

Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Thanks for everyones responses. Let me explain a few things I know FEP is there to help people that need a little extra help. The only thing is that I always associated it with all the unfit people, my fault. You're guys' response makes me think however. It's probably a great program! The militarys way of helping you out and not let you struggle alone. Also I'm afraid of people talking crap (like I said, a lot of ppl associate it with being unfit) but why should I care about what people think?! The only ones I really care about the uppers. But you know, my hubby loves me, so do my babies at home. I know Ican get back into shape. I'd rather be healthy when I do it though and not to hard on myself. Thanks so much everyone for just engouraging me and picking me back up when I was down! You're responses were very honest.
    One thing, I did wean of the meds by my doctors direction. When I properly weaned off Effexor I had no withdrawals. I did struggle with the Zoloft but feel better now. Thank you so much to everyone who responed.

Privacy please! I'm Found a Mate sarahmom22's Avatar
    Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

I only read this now, but good luck. I could stand to lose MUCH more than 15 lbs that's for sure lol. I wish I had a program to help me that I didn't have to pay a fortune for...that would actually motivate me.
    Whatever happens, I wish you the best

Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Thats what's great about the Mil is the group PT. It can really suck though because ours will always be after work and that's the last place I wanted to be, lol. FEP at my old command was during working hours though... hehehe which is great if I have to get inrolled. Hahaha I'm trying to think of all the positives

Resident Vampire Hormonal ellenant's Avatar
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hey, that is the last thing I would do--
    getting depressed about some stupid calculated numbers.
    Instead of enjoying life.
    No wonder some of you Americans take TAPEWORM- eggs
    to get a tapweworm to stay thin.
    GOD!
    (sorry for ranting. I have too many bulaemic and anorexic
    friends, two of whom were in the clinic just because
    of this crap.)
    "There must have been a moment, at the beginning, where we could have said- NO. But somehow we missed it." (Samuel Beckett)

Dear Alex, in memory Axolotls rock!
    Missing you, Waiata...

Wild NZ Birds! http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...ad.php?t=57986

Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Ewww............... Urgh now I'm gonna have nightmares. Thanks Ellen i really shouldn't stress about it. instead, i just need to get off my big butt and get to the gym more often. And now that i am actually paying for the membership, it should be motavation enough to get my moneys worth, hahaha. Plus the classes they offer are included with the membership so I'll definetlytake advantage of that!

Name
    di
    Thanks

Hey, it's great you are turning this around, I wouldn't mind losing about 15lb either, I am just so glad I don't have to due to work requirements.

AKA 'Follyfoot Farm' Tailfeather
    Name
    Mel
    Thanks

yuk tapeworm tablets? thats EXTREME!!!!

good luck! just try your hardest, you will lose it, but to lose it so quickly is unhealthy in itself, so maybe just do the FEP... ??? it cant be all that bad! LOL and keep trying and you wont be there for long!
    good luck! xx

Before you ask, yes I am a b!tch...
    But I am an honest b!tch.

First Baby Hatched! parrotsRmyLove's Avatar
    Name
    Sue
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by schlisa View Post
    Also I'm afraid of people talking crap (like I said, a lot of ppl associate it with being unfit) but why should I care about what people think?! The only ones I really care about the uppers. But you know, my hubby loves me, so do my babies at home. I know Ican get back into shape.
    Lisa - Please don't ever care about what other people think. I learned this lesson early on in my marriage having the most wacked out evil in-laws one could have.
    I used to cry as they would get me so upset.
    Now they can say anything they want and I basically laugh at them.

As long as you are happy that is all that matters. Never live you life affraid of what others might say or think. Way to much stress involved with that. You know you are a great person if others want to say something they are not worth your time or the energy to even think about them.

I am sure you will do fine with the support of your hubby and kids.

Remove Ads