Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

Essentials oils safe/ Perfumes?

Okay, so I know a few people have said you can use essential oils in your home rather then a chemical with a scent.

Are they actually safe to use around birds? I know that some natural scents, like tea tree oil, still aren't safe...

If so, would the roll on perfumes that are just essential oils and some other oil be safe to use? I'm not talking put it on and go play with the birds, but to use it and then be around the birds a few hours later?

What is it exactly that makes other perfumes unsafe? Just the strong scent? Would other types of roll on perfumes be okay to use if I won't be around the birds while the scent is strong/noticeable for a person? Such as if I put it on in the morning then don't see the birds until after 3?

Name
    Holly
    Thanks

Re: Essentials oils safe/ Perfumes?

I've heard several times that essential oils are just way to concentrated to use around fids.

Where did u hear otherwise?

Privacy please! I'm Found a Mate sarahmom22's Avatar
    Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HollyTiel View Post
    I've heard several times that essential oils are just way to concentrated to use around fids.

Where did u hear otherwise?
    I'm very curious as well...I mean, I know candles/air fresheners are bad, but if one can boil cinnamon and other nice scents, what's the diff?

Animal Nut! Growing... Courtney's Avatar
    Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

It's the strong send and there sensitive repertory system that makes it dangerous and toxic to them. They don't breath like us; they take two breaths in and one breath out so they inhale more then us.

I would not use any essential oils what so ever. Like said it is very concentrated. Normal perfume is okay if you spray it on lightly. Cigarettes are the most toxic to them. I only use perfume if I know Im not going to be near Chiquita and am going out. Other then that I don’t wear it since Chiquita is usually on me.

Mom to Two Jack Russell Terriers (Rocky & Jack), 4 fish tanks, Two Parrots, Indian Ringneck (Chiquita) & Green Cheek Conure (Boomer).

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post

I would not use any essential oils what so ever. Like said it is very concentrated. Normal perfume is okay if you spray it on lightly. Cigarettes are the most toxic to them. I only use perfume if I know Im not going to be near Chiquita and am going out. Other then that I donít wear it since Chiquita is usually on me.
    Same here. I'll use a perfume type thing if I am going out. But I also use it upstairs where there is no vent and no way for it to travel downstairs. Then, once the air has settled, I leave the house and shower before touching her. Granted I haven't done this in months and rarely, rarely do it anyway.

I've heard certain natural scents are okay and others are not.

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Some essential oils are safe, and some are not. Research.
    Now ALL essential oils(concentrated) are dangerous if heated or burned, but a couple drops in some lotion to scent your skin will be ok. I would wait a half hour or so to handle your birds after you apply it though(as with roll on perfumes, hair spray, etc)
    Simmering cinnamon, etc on the stove in water, does not release the oils in as high a concentration as heating bottled oils in a lightbulb ring, diffuser, or burning a scented candle.

FYI, cinnamon oil is made from the byproducts of drying the bark from the tree, and from the tips of a fruit the trees bear. The sticks & ground are dried bark, lower in oils. Making it safer to simmer for our birds.
    Clove oil is dangerous, even to humans, but extracting enough oil to be harmful is not done by simmering a few cloves.
    Some essential oils are harmful to us in pure form, most must be used in a carrier(lotion) to apply. Tea tree oil for example must never be applied full strength, and must not even be dispersed into the air around birds. Very toxic.
    Eucalyptus oil is also poisonous in concentrated form. Yet simmering the leaves, or applying a few drops of the oil in lotion on your chest for a cold is ok. But I would not simmer the oil, or heat it to scent a room near birds. And birds can eat certain eucalyptus leaves.

So you see it all comes down to research, some things are ok in some forms, but not others.
    Last edited by ~Lori~; 01-06-2009 at 12:21 PM.

Surrounded by people who love life, you love it too;
    surrounded by people who don't, you don't.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Name
    Cara
    Thanks

*NOTE: I am not saying anyone should burn any essential oil around their birds. Ever.*

[nerd hat] Essential oils are safe to burn for most humans as well as animals, if they are pure, unadulterated oils in the right concentration. Unfortunately 99% of what's on the market is far from pure, safe oil. This is mainly because pure essential oils are often very expensive depending on the scent you want. For example, rose oil is priced by the drop because the extraction process requires such a high volume of rose petals to yield a drop of oil. The oils that most people find in places like Body Shop are highly adulterated oils that are barely fit for bottling, let alone burning. Most of the scent is completely artificial mixed with *just* enough essential oil to be labelled as an EO. (I know, the labels claim they're pure oil, but trust me on this - I've been an accredited, fully certified aromatherapist for over 10 years and I know my oils.)

The same goes for perfume, LC. The reason it's so affordable and available in such vast amounts is that the original scent derived entirely from EOs is then processed over and over with alcohols, additives and chemicals to 'fix' the scent until it's reached the appropriate level of profit margin for the designer. The only reason wearing perfume is at all 'safe' around pets is that the perfume industry is strictly regulated to ensure all products are within safety standards. Nothing like that is in place for the EOs sold on the market today.

The best thing you can do is just avoid them altogether. If you want to get a nice scent in the house that you know is safe, you can always do something safe and natural like boiling down a couple of cinnamon sticks! [/nerd hat]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Cool, you know your stuff Cara! Please read over what I posted and correct anything you think is incorrect. These are conclusions I have come to based on my own amateur research, and if it is wrong I want to know!

~Mignon McLaughlin

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

Thanks everyone.

I do like having perfume on at school, but since it's roll on it doesn't scent anything buy my skin, so if I stick to just putting it on my wrists it's easy enough to wash off (and the scent doesn't last all day anyways).

We definitively don't burn any essential oils, although I think my mom has added a few drops to baking soda before sprinkling it on the ground before (to get rid of smells I guess).

Name
    Cara
    Thanks

You found some good stuff Lori Ann. Essential oils should never be burned pure, that's very true. They should always be diluted appropriately before being placed in a burner using a safe carrier oil. Concentration of dilution varies from oil to oil. The same applies to application, oils should always be diluted in a carrier oil, cream, lotion, etc.

The method of extraction you found for cinnamon is only one of the most common ways to get it. The bark can also be steamed, as can the leaves, to create a pure oil that you would NEVER want to burn for any reason. Cinnamon, clove, nutmeg - all are oils that are very toxic wen burned, applied or ingested in pure form. (Ingesting more than 10 drops of nutmeg oil in it's pure form can actually be fatal for a child or adult.) You should also avoid simmering clove in water if you have allergies, sensitive eyes or any kids/pets in the house. Clove is great for purifying the air but it's an irritant to eyes and mucous membranes.

Tea tree oil is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. OMG, if I hear one more 'expert' recommend it for direct use on the skin or scalp I will scream. Tea tree is antifungal, so it is effectively used in the production of higher-end natural products used for problems like dandruff, plantar warts, ringworm topicals, etc. It is very harsh on the skin, will dry out even oily skin in a harmful way (it's actually more of a burn than an absorption of oil) and should NEVER be applied directly to the skin or scalp no matter what health food store you bought it from of which homoeopath recommended it.

Eucalyptus, peppermint, spearmint and other menthols should also never be burned pure or in a highly concentrated dilution. They should never be burned or applied in any way at all around children under the age of two. Menthols can have an effect on the lungs of small children that can cause them to have severe irritation, constriction and even lung failure in children with undiagnosed lung issues. Again, I'm talking about pure oils here, something you most likely won't come across unless you're in an industry that uses them. Products that are designed for kids with mint smells or menthol in them aren't something you should worry about - as long as your pediatrician has said they're safe, you're fine. Most of them use menthol derivatives that are nowhere near the concentration of an EO and won't cause the same problems.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Thanks Cara, great info!! Yes, I hear you on the Tea Tree topic, I even had to correct a co-worker, she was advising clients to not bother with Tea Tree shampoo (lice season for kids) but to use oil full strength!! Yikes!

~Mignon McLaughlin

Banned Chick
    Name
    Sara
    Thanks

I have a bunch of scented oils. I don't use them anymore, due to the birds. But I do have a question.

We do simmer cinnamon sticks and water on the stove. Sometimes we add apples. Could a few drops of the oils be added to the simmering water? I'm not talking about a lot, but literally a drop or 2 in a 3 quart saucepan filled with water. Would it be safe?

Name
    Cara
    Thanks

Simmering with oils is basically vaporizing them, but at that dilution you probably won't get any effect. You probably won't get any scent either, unfortunately. Any more than a couple of drops and I'd say no, not a good idea. You just don't want to take any chances on releasing something from the oil into the air. You never know what your oils have already been diluted in for mass production.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]