where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: orange cockatiel

Name
    Heather
    Thanks

Re: orange cockatiel

Hmm didnt think about diet, she is on a much more varied diet than before I got her, before it was just seeds, now she is on seeds, pellets, veggies (though no carrots) and dried alfalfa. That may have somthing to do with it??? I dont know. My birds are seen by a vet, but no blood work on her yet.

Name
    Holly
    Thanks

here is a similar mystery:
    http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...ht=orange+tiel

good luck finding the cause.

Name
    Heather
    Thanks

Thanks. The info is good to know, I'll definately keep an eye on her, the mystery may not be solved, but I found a great new forum!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    marion
    Thanks

Hi I just registered here because I have just got a tiel from a rescue with the same strange orange markings as the last tiel, would love your input, it certainly isn't diet and he/she was vet checked before being released from the rescue (it was hit by a car and has spent a couple of weeks being treated by a bird vet) anyway heres a photo what do you think?
    he's not very trusting so it is hard to get a photo but there is quite a bit of orange around the back of the neck.

Banned Chick
    Name
    Sara
    Thanks

Hi Marion, welcome to TF. For future reference, it is usually better to start a new thread, rather than bring back a very old thread.

Excess orange on the head is also common when cockatiels are ready to breed. Our male routinely gets orange spots when our pair is getting ready to breed. If you have determined it is not a liver problem nor excess beta carotene, then the culprit is probably being "in season".

Brand New Egg
    Name
    marion
    Thanks

I actually googled orange on the head and this was thread was the only result I got that showed anything similar to my little guy thats why I added to it rather than starting a new thread. Breeding behaviour sounds unlikely as he/she looks to be quite young and hasn't been in with any other tiels for quite a period of time (a couple of months minimum), he was at the rescue for 3 weeks and had been at some guys place for 3 or 4 weeks before that after he had been hit by the car. It's just extremely unusual but I'll keep searching thanks for the idea.

Cream of Cockatiel Tailfeather sammit's Avatar
    Name
    Sam
    Thanks

they dont have to be in with other birds to make them in breeding condition. its the right time of year right now for them to be finding a mate and setting up a nest. i know my two birds are trying to find places all over the house..

but you cant tell a tiels age just by looking at them. this bird could be YEARS old and you'd never know.

"im now under the impression that sarcasm is the body's natural defence against stupid" - sam

http://sammitshomecooking.blogspot.com/

Name
    Susanne
    Thanks

The orange flecking seen on some tiels is called 'Breeder Stress Marks' It is simply a term and is not related to just breeding...but stress in general, even from temperature changes, and may be seen more during hot weather versus cooler weather. The most common time it can be seen though is if a pair is setup. It is NOT health related at all, and many times with a molt the orange feathers go away.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit my Website: http://justcockatiels.weebly.com/
    SPECIAL NOTICE:
    1999-2012 Susanne Russo All rights reserved on my personal postings and digital images. This material is NOT property of this forum, and also can not be taken, re-worded/edited and posted elsewhere without my permission.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherL View Post
    Hi, my name is Heather and I am in southern CA. I actually have a cockatiel hen with orange on her head and neck, and upper back, and I was doing some research to see if any one else has seen this pop up in their flock. The only thing I found was this thread on this forum. I have had her for six months now, and as she is finishing her moult, she gets more and more orange feathers on her neck, back ect... nothing huge, more like orange lacing where the yellow should be, (She is a lutino pearl). I was hoping someone here would have an idea as to what I should breed her to. ( btw, I am an experienced breeder, not just experimenting with birds in my backyard, my website is heathers feather farm, if anyone wants more info on me) Any and all info would be appreciated.
    Hi Heather, I have a Lutino hen who also has orange around her head and neck and on her wing and back.
    Maybe try breeding her to the most yellow cock bird you have and see if you can get the orange come out

Name
    Susanne
    Thanks

[IMG][/IMG]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit my Website: http://justcockatiels.weebly.com/
    SPECIAL NOTICE:
    1999-2012 Susanne Russo All rights reserved on my personal postings and digital images. This material is NOT property of this forum, and also can not be taken, re-worded/edited and posted elsewhere without my permission.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

"Highrewards" your tiel is gorgeous!! It is a shame that it is stress marks and it may lose its pretty orange highlights but then if its stressed enough to change its feather colors then I guess losing them is a good thing. Thanks for the pictures of your bird even if this post is a old one.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Lee
    Thanks

Hey heather. I have exactly the same thing happening in a male pied cockateil. He is about three years old and has reared about 6 clutches now. No- one seems to know what it is and I can't find anything on the web about it except your post. The orange from his cheek patches seems to be spreading round to the back of his head and down the back of his neck. Odd but really cool. I was wondering if there was a chance of emailing me a photo lee@obrienconstructions.com.

Remove Ads