where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Naming???

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Brenda
    Thanks

Naming???

I bought two new babies....9 wks old.......but I have no clue if they are male or female.

What are some good names that will go either way? I'm stuck!!!

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Re: Naming???

I love Greek/Roman mythology so I like to pick "ancient" names. But, if that's not your bag, you can always go with character names from books/movies, color names, place names, cultural names or something about the bird's personality that captures its essence in its name.

I have 11 tiels and I have a variety of names. I'll give you the rundown and "how" I chose the names I did to illustrate what I mean. Maybe it will help you narrow your search for the perfect name for your birds.

My first bird is Apache - we thought male but later learned female. That's okay.. we call her "Patchie" and it fits her. She's a pied with bright orange cheek Patches. An example of a name that is cultural (Apache) and something about the bird (her patches = A Patche IE or Patchie) that went into her name.

Next was another pied, turned out to be male but we didn't know this at the time. He had the cutest swirly pattern on his belly and my son said it reminded him of a bucket of Neapolitan ice cream. Well.. that stuck instantly. His name is Neapolitan and we nicknamed him Neo. (And.. of course we all know Neo from the movie The Matrix). An example of essence and Character from book/movie.

Next came Sterling Silver (shortened to Silver). Purely named by looks because he was the lightest of gray (turned to cinnamon) when he came to us as a baby. Silver could go for either boy or girl so it felt right.

Next came my sweet yellow pearl hen I bought with my income tax money. She's so sweet and adorable. I knew the moment I held her she was coming home with me and I named her right in the store (the way I did with Apache). Her name was Taxi - Because she reminded me of a taxi cab with her yellow on dark coloring and because I bought her with Income "TAX" refund money. I've NEVER toyed with another name for her. Its just HER name.

I adopted two birds from Michigan and they had names already. Teika and Beaker (the gal who had Beaker believed her to be male) but it was discovered that "Beaker" was female. We decided to give "Beaker" a female name and named her Trinny (Trinity) to go along with "Neo" .. the Matrix.. and because I liked the name. It fits her well. Teika and Trinny.. it just sorta... well.. had a ring.

Next came my whiteface male that we also adopted. His name was Buzzard (named because that's what he looked like as a baby) and shortened to Buzz. We kept his name because he's able to say it and identifies with his name.

Lastly, are the "Babies": Tiggy, my cinnamon hen was hatched from Patchie and Silver's clutch three years ago. Her full name is Antigone (greek mythology) but I call her Tiggy. Her sister we also kept but she's gone now. Her name was Paris (another name from greek mythology). Neo and Taxi had a clutch and out of those babies, we're keeping Calypso, a whiteface pied male. (Thought at first to be female). We still have baby Leonides (Leo for short) who is a dead ringer for dad.. and c'mon..the names rhyme! Neo and Leo! hahah! And baby Quinn.. Old Roman for "Fifth born" and she was fifth and last to hatch.

I also fostered two birds for a time and they didn't have names (how sad is that!) They were two beautiful standard gray males and they just had a majestic quality to them. I named them after mountains from my native California - Shasta (for Mt. Shasta) and Diablo (for Mt. Diablo). It suited them well because Diablo was quite er.. difficult and Shasta was the older and more subtle of the two.

So there you have it...my names and why they have them. I hope I gave you some ideas. Maybe others will post their names and why they chose them! Good luck!
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Brenda
    Thanks

Wow! I enjoyed your post! Thanks for all that info!

I liked the name Kiwi and told my hubby and he said then why not Mango for the other! And the more I have thought about it...the more I like it! Sooooo, I am going with Kiwi and Mango

Name
    Tracy
    Thanks

I like to name animals acording to their personalities and physical traits
    God loved the birds and invented trees.
    Man loved the birds and invented cages. ~Jacques Deval

Toby the tiel Adult teddibear381's Avatar
    Name
    Erica
    Thanks

Cricket, Mango, Pepper, Pickle, Aaron

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

When my daughter was 4, she was offered a cockatiel as a birthday present. Of course she had to name it. She chose... Bacon! No, no, that's not a suitable name my sweetie. She wanted Bacon and Bacon it was. Why Bacon? Don't have a clue!

For our little Bailey, we printed a list of pet names and read them out loud. Bailey suited her just fine.
    Marie

R.I.P. little Bailey

Now slave to new budgies Dexter & Deb

If birds of a feather flock together... don't stand under them!!!!

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Bacon!!!!! ROFL! Omg.. that's funny! Cute too!
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Animal Nut! Growing... Courtney's Avatar
    Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Chilly, Chickeltte, Digit, Trouble, Candy, Peeps, Punky, Princess, Baby, Silly, Tucker, Rascal.

Mom to Two Jack Russell Terriers (Rocky & Jack), 4 fish tanks, Two Parrots, Indian Ringneck (Chiquita) & Green Cheek Conure (Boomer).