where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

Question Enlarged Nostril?

Hello All,
    My cockatiel has one enlarged nostril. It's been increasingly getting bigger for about a month now. It doesn't seem to bother him at all though. No discharge, redness, coughing, irritation, or itchiness. It just doesn't look right and I don't want it to get any bigger (it's now twice the size of the other). He is six years old and mainly eats a seed diet. He's not fond of fruit at all, but likes greens. Any help as to what the culprit may be would be appreciated.
    Thank you, Sarah.

Name
    Laura
    Thanks

Re: Enlarged Nostril?

Do you have a picture that we can see?

Resident Vampire Hormonal ellenant's Avatar
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Picture please.
    close up maybe?
    I am very curious about this...
    "There must have been a moment, at the beginning, where we could have said- NO. But somehow we missed it." (Samuel Beckett)

Dear Alex, in memory Axolotls rock!
    Missing you, Waiata...

Wild NZ Birds! http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...ad.php?t=57986

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

Sorry for the delay...Had to wait until my husband got home to show me how to get the pictures posted. Not too computer savvy.

Weird right? I don't think it's a parasite. He has always had a bird protector attached to his cage as well. You can start to see the inner membrane stuff (I Think). That should not be exposed! But He's fine as can be.. eating, drinking, pooping, flying, singing, and so on. Bathing? That's not something we ever got into. I would mist him with warm water when I first got him. It seemed to just bug him. He would flick his head to shake the water off. Anyway, tell me what you think. Thanks again, Sarah

Name
    Tina
    Thanks

Have a vet clean out your tiel's nostrils.

At a vet check up for one of my rescued tiels, the vet cleaned all kinds of stuff out of his nostrils. I didn't really notice it was impacted. My vet said the nostril will just keep getting bigger if it's not cleaned out and it will not go back to normal size afterwords.

Thanks

Those "bird protectors" are dangerous they let off fumes and have been known to kill birds

Resident Vampire Hormonal ellenant's Avatar
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hmmm.... that looks a bit damaged...
    you are right, it does not look like tunneling mites,
    then everything looks more overgrown, and you can
    see the little tunnels.
    I would take the bird to the vet and let the vet maybe
    take a scraping...maybe you have an infection
    or some other tissue destroying thing there.
    I would definitely watch it.
    Did you see if it is getting worse at all?
    That might be a bad sign.
    "There must have been a moment, at the beginning, where we could have said- NO. But somehow we missed it." (Samuel Beckett)

Dear Alex, in memory Axolotls rock!
    Missing you, Waiata...

Wild NZ Birds! http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...ad.php?t=57986

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

Hello Everyone,
    Thank you for all the advice. I called our vet and Satine has an appointment tomorrow at two. So I will report back after we find out what's going on with him. The bird protector is in the trash. I am definitely going to ask her about those. Why on earth would they sell them....? Satine has never had his wings clipped before. I trimmed them this afternoon. He took off flapping like normal, but was shocked when he could no longer fly to the top of his cage (he likes to perch there). Poor little bugger, but I didn't want him getting loose in the clinic and nobody be able to catch him. He is not that tame at all, nor very attached to me. Does anyone know any tips for breaking him of the "taking off" habit when sitting on my hand? I really don't think I clipped them back enough (I don't want to get near the blood feathers). He can still fly pretty well, just not go as high or land as accurate. Or any advice on how I can get him to like me more. He gets treats everytime he is on my hand (I know that trick). Sarah
    Last edited by Satine; 01-21-2009 at 06:56 PM.

Thanks

I don't know why they sell a lot of the things they do and try to say its fine for birds when it isn't

for instance:
    Starer cages - Every one is too small for the birds they say they're for

Sand paper perch covers(NOT the cement/or brand name sandy perch) but the actual roll of sand paper that goes over top of a perch! NOT safe at all

Those Mite protectors

Grit - Hook bills don' need grit

Sand paper cage liners - just as bad as grit and the perch covers

and so many more things

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

Hello Again,
    I had to reschedule Satine’s appointment. My grandfather has asked me to go skiing with him tomorrow afternoon. (My husband and I go to my grandparent’s house every Wednesday night for dinner.) He is an 81 year old cancer survivor (prostate) and amazing! I couldn’t say no….It will be the first time he has been out skiing in two years. So Satine’s new appointment is Wednesday at 1:30. The doctor that sees birds is only in on Wednesdays and Thursdays. The doctor that is in tomorrow won’t even look at him, she’s allergic…I’ve never heard of a person being allergic to birds. But, people are allergic to everything. Oh well. So… until next week. Any tips about my previous message?
    Does anyone agree with me that Satine is a male? I didn’t know for the first six months to a year (a friend bred his pair and gave me one of their birds). His head was entirely gray with just a faint little orange dot (I actually thought he was female because of this) . As you can see his head is yellow with a fairly bright dot now.

About the other do nots….

We tried grit; he didn’t seem interested at all. That only lasted until the tiny box I bought ran out. Two weeks or so…I had to keep dumping the dish it was in. (droppings)

We tried the perch sand paper; he would chew up the edges….and yes I wouldn’t want to touch my feet to that stuff either. Ouch! He’s been on the pedicure type for years.

So.. he basically told me the sand products were garbage. Thanks for telling me about the “protectors”. I should have known better…they smell like mothballs a bit. Yuck.

Oops.. I meant Friday when I said tomorrow. It was just a phone call..No charge
    Last edited by Satine; 01-21-2009 at 07:35 PM.

Cream of Cockatiel Tailfeather sammit's Avatar
    Name
    Sam
    Thanks

yep hes a boy!!! hope all goes well at the appointment on wed... they should have told you when you booked the first one that the vet was allergic!!! i wouldve gone and demanded my money back lol!!!!

"im now under the impression that sarcasm is the body's natural defence against stupid" - sam

http://sammitshomecooking.blogspot.com/

Thanks

Yes I agree he is Male, Normal grey

As for being allergic - most ppl aren't allergic to the smaller less dustier birds like budgies, love birds etc.

but when you get to Tiels and birds like them - cockatoos , etc

its not so much they're allergic to "birds" its the Dander the birds have they are allergic to other wise if they're allergic to dust, pet dander (like cats/dogs), they wouldn't be able to be around tiels or birds who let off a lot of dander

my boyfriend has allergies and suffers mainly in the morning for a good hour or so after he gets up his nose is running like a broken faucet

and when the tiels are flapping around or molting it is the worst on him But it's not so bad he can't be around them though Now if he had worse problems because of them, then I'd not have them or find a way to have them that wouldn't bother him

but i can clean my bird room after putting all the birds to bed at 9 pm (that room is just tiels and budgies) I have plastic shelves that are grey /black I can wipe them down and by the time i go in at 8 am the next morning there is a huge white layer of dander all over them again

So i'm on the look out for a good decent Air Purifier

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

Hello All,

Today ended up being not such a nice day for skiing with my grandpa after all. So I called to see if the previous appointment I had canceled was still open. It was! We get to the clinic and the tech takes him out and sets him on the scale. And just as I am about to tell her he can still fly pretty well (even though I trimmed his feathers back...) he takes off and slams right into the exam door window! He now has a big red hole in his head, right in between his nostrils. His face looks ten times worse, all pink and swollen! (No pictures today, I think that'll really upset him. It must have hurt him so bad.) I pick him back up set him on the perch, and he starts bobbing and swaying from side to side, I put the top part of the cage over him to keep him from taking off again. I'm thinking, "Oh my god, I brought him here and now he's going to die from head trauma".

I start crying. (I get all emotional around that time of the month. ) So the tech goes to get Dr. Cargill. I'm blubbering and can't really tell her what was wrong with him initially. As I'm drying up a bit the tech is telling the vet what I told her before she got Satine out. The doctor couldn't definitely tell me what the cause was. Dry skin? Vitamin A deficiency? Bacterial infection? She flushed out his sinus cavity and took a swabbing of the inside to be sent out on a slide to the lab (Cytology). She said it might also be a fungus as well and his nostril could be on its way to healing back up again..who knows? I think she was just telling me every possibility she could think of. At this point I’m more concerned with his head really. She says, “You know when wild birds fly into the window they sometimes get dazed, he’ll be fine in a little while.” (I’m thinking, “Yes, and I’ve seen a few dead ones the ground after it happens”.) She gave him a Baytril injection, and sent me home with 10 days of antibiotics, and triple antibiotic ointment for the injury.

I get Satine home and wait for my husband to help me give him the ointment and antibiotics (What in the world? I dropped over two hundred bucks there and they can't even give him the first dose! ) I "towel" him the way they showed me at the clinic. After putting the ointment on his face and before I give him the syringe of medicine he gives me the worst bite ever!! I mean he would not let go! He's mashing the skin on my index finger between his beak and the blood is coming out. I had to squeeze his cheeks a bit to pry my finger out of his mouth. It still hurts. He's saying to himself, "That'll teach her!"

So tomorrow I'm going out to get a humidifier and Zupreem pellet food. They're going to call me in a few days with the results. Man what a day... Before that I sliced open my other hand splitting frozen bread apart right in between my two first fingers, where the "webbing" is. I must be anemic now and Satine must have the worst migraine ever after the day we've had. Okay, Now I really need tips on how to stop getting him to "Take off" before he breaks his neck! I will post the mystery when we get the phone call from the doctor. Thanks for reading all this, the message got a bit long….sorry.

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

OMG, you poor dear. ::Sigh:::

First things first. Let's clip Satine's wings just a bit more perhaps? I know it sounds mean, but it does sound as though he's getting up a bit more speed than he should for this phase in his life. Some may not agree with me, but I'm thinking of his cranium and his nerves at this point. His ego may be bruised a bit, but its better than his skull. His flights can always grow back. While his wings are clipped, you can work on "step up" training with him. Its going to take some time and patience on both of your part, but it may help with the "take off" syndrome. Keep some millet or a treat he likes handy. He will like to be rewarded for being a good bird and staying put. It also helps if you practice "step up" in a small room.. AWAY from the safety of his cage. He's more inclined to stay put on your finger if he cannot see his cage. Cage = safety and he will try to fly back to where he feels comfortable. So if you take him to a small room and work with him there.. he may stay longer on your finger. Praise him and give him millet. If he flutters to the floor (bed, where ever).. that's okay. Step him up, coo at him.. talk softly.. offer him treats. Limit your practice sessions to like.. 15 to 20 minutes at first .. just so he gets used to being "handled".

The meds.. oh yah.. I feel you there too. Nothing like trying to gag a bird with meds.. especially one who doesn't care much for being handled in the first place and who is cranky from an unpleasant experience at the vet's office. ACK! Been there and done that as well and have the scars to prove it. LOL So, here's some friendly advice. Toweling is the BEST option for you there. I use a bandanna for this purpose and I also bring along a "mouth toy". A Popsicle stick.. a straw.. something my bird can "play with". I let him bite the hell out of the toy as opposed to my finger and then I sneak the syringe into the corner of his beak while he's chewing the crap out of the finger-substitute. Works like a charm and the poor dude never knew what hit him. Just make sure to only squirt a little bit of the meds in at a time (aka..you'll have to put the syringe in the beak a few times) because if you try to unload the whole syringe in one squirt, he could aspirate.

A humidifier is a great idea, especially this time of year. His cere (from looking at the pictures) does look a bit dry which could be some of the problem.. (sloughing skin).. and dry air can lead to bacterial sinus infections (which tend to make nares look like that at times). That's what I'm guessing your Satine is suffering from.. and if that's the case, the antibiotics will clear it up and the humidifier will keep it from returning. And ditto on the mite protector. Those things are icky bad news.

And.. my Neo sympathizes.. he's got his yearly sinus infection too. I hope you and Satine are feeling better soon.
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

Hello,
    Thanks for responding, your message was very comforting and helpful.

When you clip a bird’s wings... do you towel him then fan a wing out to see all the feathers then cut them? When I clipped them yesterday I just had him sit on my hand and ever so carefully (trying to be undetected) cut a bunch of end feathers off in one snip with each wing.

I’ve been responding to Krissy (with three threads) who seems to have the same issues with her cockatiel. (Depression after the lost of her cockatiel’s parakeet friend, “taking off” on her, staying near the cage…)

This is too funny…
    I told her take him in another room so his “house” is out of site. Work with her bird in short “training” sessions, no more than fifteen minutes (I gave an example of my dogs). Some ideas on boredom busters, And Treats! So I’m on the right track….

After Satine chewed up my finger, I gave him the other end of the cotton swab (I used to put the ointment on) to latch onto. I snuck the syringe right in to his occupied mouth, I wasn’t even sure if the meds got in there, there’s not more than a drop in the syringe). So that is how I got the fluid down without him mutilating another digit. So we have nine more doses to go. I hope he will not catch on.

Thanks again! Sarah

Name
    di
    Thanks

I have taken note of the thing in mouth and slip in the meds too for if I ever have to do it.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

Question Enlarged Nostril Update.

Hello Everyone,
    The vet called back today with the pathology report. Satine had a bacterial infection caused by some debris. She assured us the antibiotics she prescribed should have taken care of it. He finished the last of the meds tonight (there were more than nine...actually fourteen). Thank God! They smelled awful so they must have tasted ten times worse. Yuck. He has been extremely cranky (understood) and runs away when he sees “The Towel”. (The certain little green hand towel I used to restrain him. It has now been retired. )
    As for the scarring and disfigurement…his nostril may or may not grow back. And the raw spot (from the crash at the clinic) has healed over but he is still missing some tiny little face feathers. But we love him just the same! Poor little bugger he has a hard couple of weeks!

He still is not touching the pellets...I put the seeds at the bottom of his dish, and the pellets on top, so he has to dig throught the pellets to get to them. Any ideas on how I can get him interested in them without taking the seeds away? (He really only gets about a heaping tablespoonful a day). I've read birds can be very stubborn...I'd rather keep offering him the "junk food" (fatty seeds) than have him refuse the pellets all together! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Sarah
    Last edited by Satine; 02-04-2009 at 10:25 PM.

Name
    Alison
    Thanks

That is how i get pea to taste his veggies (putting seed at the bottom), so stick with that! Also the fact that he is forraging through the pellets is a stimulating act for him, i put large plastic beads and foot toys in Pea's dish so he has to forage for food.

I cant believe i have not seen your posts before now! I am so sorry for what happened at the begining, my heart goes out to you!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

Thank you Alison, for your kind words of encouragement. We’ll keep at it! Sarah

Sweet Pea is gorgeous