where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Update on getting bird back in cage

Hatching
    Name
    karen
    Thanks

Update on getting bird back in cage

We tried a few things today. I had a silk tree beside his cage that I moved to a different room. He is forced to come interact with us. I also got his small cage out and set it on top of the bigger one. We have enough toys to fill both of them. He loves to shower with anyone so I took him in with me. He of course went to the bottom of the tub and got over wet and couldn't get height. I set him on the towel bar to preen while I got dressed. He tried to fly away when I got close to the cage but went to the floor. He couldn't get enough height to get on his bottom cage door which is 2 and 1/2 ft. He actually got tired enough to come onto my finger and put him inside the cage to get dry. If his wings were clipped how high could he get? Enough height to get onto his cage door?

*Poetry Comes From The Soul* Maturing... Budgieobsession's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Update on getting bird back in cage

Probaly only a couple feet or so if they were properly clipped. GL.

Hatching
    Name
    karen
    Thanks

OK so that means with his wings clipped he wouldn't be able to get into his cage by himself. He would depend more on us. He also wouldn't be able to fly up to our shoulder if we were across the room in a chair, correct? Would he then probably fly to us ,land by our feet for us to pick him up?

*Poetry Comes From The Soul* Maturing... Budgieobsession's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes but it all depends if you get a proper clip (both sides, about 4-6 primary feathers) I would defiently take the bird to an avian vet to get a clip. Clipping, I think, would probaly make him depend on you more liek you mentioned and probaly will make it easier to put him back in the cage.

Name
    adrian
    Thanks

if he flew from a chair to you and landed on the floor he would properly climb up you :haha

Hatching
    Name
    karen
    Thanks

This is so new thinking about clipping his wings. We said we would never do it. I know this has been a big debate on all the post about wing clipping. You are either for it or against it.
    I guess it is something to try. He sure acted different when he needed help getting up to the cage door. Has anyone out there clipped their birds wings after giving them the freedom
    to fly anywhere and anytime they wanted? Did they go through a period of confusion? I'm sure it will be hard for him to understand why he can't take off and fly.

Name
    Mom or Mrs. C
    Thanks

We clip our boy's wings when needed which isn't often. When they first arrived we clipped them. There was no change in behavior since they were used to having them clipped from being at the pet store. Then we let them grow. They got a bit cocky and arrogant with regard to when it was time to go home in the cage to sleep for the night. They didn't want to and trying to get them with them flying everywhere was a circus and we wound up laughing more than being serious. BUT the hubby was aggravated with their behavior so he clipped their wings after letting them grow out. They were not confused they were to put it mildly - ticked off. Lots of cute little fits and moments of sulking because they had been clipped. We let them grow long and beautiful where they could fly about again and all was okay until they got cocky again. Back to clipping and back to fits and sulking because of it. (very humorous to experience with them though, very funny to deal with a ticked off bird who is pouty) So then we let them grow out again. They've been fine. When they get a bit full of themselves all we have to do is hold the clippers and they instinctively know what's next so they become compliant if they are acting up and that doesn't happen too often. They haven't had their wings clipped in a very long time.

Hatching
    Name
    karen
    Thanks

That is a great story about your birds. Bailey is smart enough to catch on to the clippers also. This just might work. Thank you so much...

Remove Ads