Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Dog throwing up

Name
    Tabitha
    Thanks

Unhappy Dog throwing up

Our 2 year old Shih tzu Flower keeps randomly throwing up. Every few weeks or so, and out of no where will throw up her food. Usually just a few minutes after eating. At first i thought it was the food, so i changed it. That went well for awhile and then it would start all over again. She has been to the vet to get checked out. They found nothing abnormal, and say she isnt losing weight and is in normal weight range 10.8lbs. So does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a special dog food for sensative stomachs?

Thanks

Re: Dog throwing up

When you take her out side does she eat the grass? that is normally the 1st sign of a upset stomach

Do you feed her Dry or Canned? if its dry I'd give her a bit of canned

Dogs actually need Canned dog food every so often (2-3 times a month or so) To help them poop

I've had dogs all my life and just found that one out, When I took my 5 month old Beagle out to go to the bathroom and she was having trouble going and when she finally did she yelped the entire time - Came in told my b/f He called his dad (who i got her from and he's been breeding them for years) told me to go get canned dog food and feed it to her a few times a month - so i did and put it some in with her food and stirred it up she gobbled it up (was eating it before I even had her dish put back) next time she went out that same day she went with no problems

wow they actually do make a dog food for sensitive stomachs (learn something new every day)

here it is

http://pg-devvip-a.isc.savvis.net:40...ch.jsp?id=1036

Name
    di
    Thanks

My dog would do that every now and then too, eat grass, throw up, he was fine and lived to a grand old age. If in doubt though, get a second opinion from another vet.

Name
    DeeDee
    Thanks

You might want to try a fish and potato or possibly lamb and rice formula for her food, canned and dry. There is special food for sensitive stomachs and your vet might give you a prescription for one. If you are giving her canned food, it might be too rich for her and she'll need a smaller amount when you give it to her. She may also be eating too fast, which can make them puke. If you give her her food in halves, she may eat it slowly enough.

I had this problem with a kitty once and now she doesn't throw up nearly as much as she used to. I got her some better dry food and started giving her canned food in small amounts.

Hope you find a solution!

Name
    Alison
    Thanks

Dogs can throw up for numerous reasons. Eating grass is one of the things that causes puking. Eating or drinking too fast causes it. Acid reflux also causes vomiting.

My dog is a lab mix (certian breeds have potential for this too) and he throws up every few weeks or so. I watch him for the next few hours to make sure he isnt puking his brains out, then i feel good about him being ok. **BTW i did talk to my vet and he said the same thing, if there is no weight loss and the situations are not connected, and as long as the vomiting isnt more than twice, then he is fine.

Name
    Tabitha
    Thanks

Well right now there is no grass for her to chew on, since its covered in snow. I have her on dry food, i will try some wet. And i only give a hand ful at a time, which helped cut down her throwing up because she would engourge herself. She only throws up once, and then she is just fine like nothing has happened, wierd dog lol. She has a few rawhide bows she loves and a hoove. Those would be making her sick? What could i use to replace those? She loves those two things to chew on. She is totally random when she throws up. I have her on purina (sp) little bites.

Name
    Jodi
    Thanks

Is she throwing up food or is it a yellow/foamy bile that she vomits? Our Shih Tzu will vomit bile if his stomach gets too empty. Purina is not a quality food. I would definately switch to something healthier. We feed Dick VanPatten's Natural Balance. It comes in many formulas and can be found at Petco.
    RIP Kokomo...May 30th, 2009...Forever in my heart
    RIP Kiwi.........Jan. 7th, 2012....Part of our family for 9 years and so missed

Name
    Tabitha
    Thanks

She has done both, most the time its just her food. But once in awhile she gets this yellow liquid foamy stuff. I going to the pet stores this weekend, hopefully i can find something good for her. Would a soft food be a good idea? What are some good brands? She always snubs bigger chuncked food. Hmm

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kristen
    Thanks

Tabitha,

Please consider changing her food...purina is one of the absolute worst brands out there...corn is their primary ingredient, which is very difficult for dogs to digest and is also of very poor nutritional value. It is also a major catalyst for allergies in dogs. It also has very low quality meat sources such as byproducts. They also add artificial colors and sugar...in all it's bad bad bad. I personally feed eagle pack holistic selects for mini and small breeds-it has little kibble that is perfect for little dogs (I have a 4 lb papillon) I don't know if you have an agway or pet feed store near you but they usually supply this brand. You can buy it online here:http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/p...4&zmap=2014466 Hope this helps!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sunbirdx View Post
    Does your dog have any chew toys, like rawhides, bones or hooves? What time of day does she throw up, any specific time, or is it random?

ATVchick, what brand of food do you feed your dog? It sounds like it might have too much fiber in it. Dogs really aren't made for a high fiber diet, as they are carnivores. Switching to a food that has less fiber and more protein will probably help with her digestive problems (not to mention, will be better for her overall)

She gets fed Puppy Chow -she's just a pup still

Ingredients: Whole grain corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, soybean meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), barley, animal digest, calcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, fish oil, salt, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, DL-Methionine, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, brewers dried yeast, manganese proteinate, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2), niacin, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, calcium pantothenate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.

Guaranteed Analysis

* Crude Protein (Min) 27.0%
    * Crude Fat (Min) 12.0%
    * Crude Fiber (Max) 5.0%
    * Moisture (Max) 12.0%
    * Linoleic Acid (Min) 1.6%
    * Calcium (Ca) (Min) 1.1%
    * Phosphorus (P) (Min) 0.9%
    * Iron (Fe) (Min) 150 mg/kg
    * Docosahexaenoic Acid* (DHA) (Min) 0.05%
    Last edited by atvchick95; 01-21-2009 at 09:16 AM.

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

Puppy Chow is also a horribly low-quality brand. ANY brand you can purchase in a grocery store is low-quality pet food.

Corn is just filler and has no real nutrients in it. Dogs are supposed to eat meat, that is why they have the teeth they do and that is why they have specialized enzymes in their stomachs to digest it. Not for corn.

If you're dog is uncomfortable or has an upset stomach trying cooking some plain white rice and possibly some hamburger for flavour, and giving that to him. It will help.

The yellow foamy stuff that a dog vomits is bile. It comes from the intestines, which means it comes through them, through the stomach and out. This usually occurs when a dog hasn't eaten in awhile.

To slow your dog down when eating, put a toy, like a ball, in the food dish with the food, so it takes longer to get at the food.

Phoebe White Capped Pionus Luna PF Lovebird Indra PF Lovebird

Remove Ads