where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Lori
    Thanks

Talking *** New Pic of Nichi ***

Folks,
    Ive been sort of MIA the last couple of weeks (busy at work) and Im back now with a major POOP question. Im experiencing something with Nichi Ive never seen before Nichi BARELY poops in his cage. The FIRST thing he does every morning and every afternoon when he comes out of his cage is fly around the house and shoot a gigantic, enormous, Guinness Book of World Record-size poop which will usually splat on my wall. The one he laid yesterday evening when we got back from work worried me it was HUGE! It made my wall look look like a Jackson Pollock (seriously) - and the bottom of his cage was almost entirely clean. This makes me think that hes holding it in all day. Ive tired to potty train him, but with a full set of wings, its been impossible so Im going to clip and start potty training (the fact that he is as of yet unclipped has to do with a series of unavoidable events but I am sending him to get clipped ASAP-we won't do it ourselves). Hes got his first vet appointment next month (its been rescheduled a couple of times now!) and Im going to discuss this with the doctor but I want to hear from you guys, too Have you ever heard of a bird that will hold in his poop like this? And that he does is bad, right? Has anyone successfully potty trained their bird?

If Im unresponsive, its only because Im in a hellish meeting for most of the afternoon, but Ill get back to you tonight. And Ill update with pictures hes as cute as ever and I made my first make-shift hanging playpen that he loves.

Lori
    Last edited by WittyCityChick; 01-21-2009 at 06:23 PM.

Name
    Hillari
    Thanks

Re: Problematic Poop Problem!!

Oh yeah it's normal. Especially in the mornings or if they are in their cage for an extended period of time. Morning poops can be ginormus! Clipping and potty training is a good idea. At least so he learns that he must poop before he gets to play!

"Loss is nothing else but change, and change is Nature's delight."
    -
    Marcus Aurelius

Proud mum of; Penny the Linnie, Tegan the BCC

Name
    Dick
    Thanks

Lori I hear what your saying! I have two Yellow Sided Conures that blast away when I let them out. I have been very lucky with the fact I can somewhat contain them to the cage area when they first get out and let loose. Like you said they don't mess up their cage much and I believe that they hold it until they are released. If you can put papers around the edge of your cage and try to confine Nichi to that area when Nichi is first released. I have a large vinyl mat that covers their cage area and it takes the beating. Good luck and enjoy your conure, they are so much fun to watch and play with.
    Have a Great Day

Name
    Shauna
    Thanks

My conures are like that too! They just don't s@&% where they eat or sleep! I think also because they don't poo when they sleep it builds up over night. I have worked with Jewels for a long time, she doesn't poo on me at all anymore, but if we've been playing for quite some time, she'll hop off poo on the closest thing to me, and then hop back on. SO... I don't think I passed the potty training course!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Lori
    Thanks

So glad to hear that your birds do this, too. It’s pretty much been happening with Nichi since day one, but geeze…the size and amount of these early morning and evening poops have gotten so much bigger, that I was starting to wonder if it was normal. Thank you for the reassurance. So it’s clip, clip time for Nichi. I feel so bad…he’s such a great flyer.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    beth
    Thanks

Lori, Jazz will NOT poop in his big cage ever. He poops before bedtime, and then not again until he comes out in the AM, and even then he will hold ti for another 15- 20 minutes.
    BUT then OMG it is huge. We have a second cage ( not quite as large, but still big ) that is his travel cage, It is collapsible so it goes with us to my folks etc as his cage away from home. That one we keep set up in an guest room so that when we go out Jazz can go in there, where he will poop.

Our TAG was exactly the same. NEVER EVER pooped in his cage. I reccommend trying a second "daycage" that way you don't have to worry if you leave the house for an extended
    period of time.

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

When I first got Cricket he wouldn't poop in his cage. It took me a few days to realize what was going on, since every time I took him out he'd go right away.

I found that for some reason putting the newspaper over the grate helped, and now don't have that problem.

Name
    Hillari
    Thanks

Don't feel bad about clipping, it will be beneficial to both of you. If he learned how to fly, there is nothing that says you can't decide to leave him flighted later down the road.

"Loss is nothing else but change, and change is Nature's delight."
    -
    Marcus Aurelius

Proud mum of; Penny the Linnie, Tegan the BCC

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Lori
    Thanks

Talking New Pictures!

Hi again,
    As promised, here are some new pictures. I made this play pen quickly one afternoon because Nichi loves to play in my baskets.

Regarding the poop issue, I did a little extra research and learned that GCC will sometimes avoid pooping where they sleep - it's a defense mechanism they use in the wild - interesting....it does make for a clean cage...But he is getting a clipping on Saturday.

xxoo Lori

Baby
    Thanks

Re: *** New Pic of Nichi ***

Nichi is sooo gorgeous! I can't get over his feathers. I can't say I've had that poop problem with my birds, probably because they're budgies.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Lori
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_purple_budgie View Post
    Nichi is sooo gorgeous! I can't get over his feathers. I can't say I've had that poop problem with my birds, probably because they're budgies.
    Thanks! I had a budgie for a long while whom I loved. I never thought I'd miss my budgie's pooping habits, but I sure do. Nichi's poops make a New York City pigeon crap seem charming.

.*Sweet~Dreams*. Moulting Faithly's Avatar
    Thanks

Nichi looks so beautiful ! I really love his colors!

For some odd reason, he reminds me of the food, Skittles .

"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song." (Chinese Proverb) ~ ^_^ ~
    It is the beautiful bird which gets caged." (Chinese Proverb)~ ^_^ ~

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Lori
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Faithly View Post
    Nichi looks so beautiful ! I really love his colors!

For some odd reason, he reminds me of the food, Skittles .
    Skittles would have been the perfect name! Nichi full name is Domenici (pronouned DomeniCHi) so we shortened it to Nichi...there is a long convoluted story how we came up with it...i never thought it would stick.

Name
    Barb
    Thanks

We potty trained Darwin to go over the trash can or the toilet and he always takes his morning poo there (for our sake more than his). He will go in his cage if we are late to wake up though.

I think you need to clip him. I can't believe he flies around and poops wherever! That would make me feel like a wild bird was in the house! If he gets clipped it will be easy to potty train him, just hold him over what you want him to poop on and say some magical words (careful what you choose!). Then praise him galore, he will catch on quickly.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Lori
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barb View Post
    We potty trained Darwin to go over the trash can or the toilet and he always takes his morning poo there (for our sake more than his). He will go in his cage if we are late to wake up though.

I think you need to clip him. I can't believe he flies around and poops wherever! That would make me feel like a wild bird was in the house! If he gets clipped it will be easy to potty train him, just hold him over what you want him to poop on and say some magical words (careful what you choose!). Then praise him galore, he will catch on quickly.
    Thanks, Barb - that's what we are hoping. he will be clipped on Saturday. Does Darwin poop anywhere else on his own when he is outside the cage?

And yes...you should see him flying like a pro all over my house - me chasing after him then PLOOP on my wall, or dining room table, or couch...

Name
    Barb
    Thanks

Ewww!

Yeah, Darwin will poop outside of his cage, so every 20 minutes or so we hold him over the trash to "poo the bird". He doesn't really do it if we are sitting on the couch, but the minute you stand up to do something he will go.
    I guess potty training with birds is more of a "poop on command" type training rather than a "poop where and when I want you to" training like it is with dogs.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Lori
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barb View Post
    Ewww!

Yeah, Darwin will poop outside of his cage, so every 20 minutes or so we hold him over the trash to "poo the bird". He doesn't really do it if we are sitting on the couch, but the minute you stand up to do something he will go.
    I guess potty training with birds is more of a "poop on command" type training rather than a "poop where and when I want you to" training like it is with dogs.
    Thank you Barb, that's exactly what I needed to know... hmmm.... so if no one poops him, he'll just eventually go on is own... good to know. I can't wait to start. He's a smart one, my Nichi, so I think he'll do good. At least I hope he does.

Bow chicka wow wow! I... Found a Mate Breadpazoid's Avatar
    Name
    Jillybean
    Thanks

Lori, what I do with Ducky is this...

I prompt her to poop over the trash can when I first take her out. Since it's several steps from cage to can, I hold her tail feathers down (she leans against me a bit) to help her hold it until I can get her over the trash can, because otherwise she will go while I still have her in transit. This works wonders. After that, I bring her every 10-20 minutes and she usually goes without issue. I still hold her tail down until I get her over the can, more for my own convenience than anything. It doesn't hurt her, and it does reinforce that the trash can is the right place for the poo.

Mom to Ducky! (female cinnamon GCC)...THANK YOU Keet for the gorgeous sig!!
    Won't you come see me after 12am?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Lori
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Breadpazoid View Post
    Lori, what I do with Ducky is this...

I prompt her to poop over the trash can when I first take her out. Since it's several steps from cage to can, I hold her tail feathers down (she leans against me a bit) to help her hold it until I can get her over the trash can, because otherwise she will go while I still have her in transit. This works wonders. After that, I bring her every 10-20 minutes and she usually goes without issue. I still hold her tail down until I get her over the can, more for my own convenience than anything. It doesn't hurt her, and it does reinforce that the trash can is the right place for the poo.
    Love this idea. Thanks!! I will try this.