Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Sleeps alot

Name
    Alison
    Thanks

Sleeps alot

Ok, i guess i dont know how to 'play' with Pea. He comes with me all over the house, sits on perches near me, and is a very good boy.

...BUT...

I dont know what to do with him other than offer him scritches (which he only likes at certian times) and talk to him. Are there ways to amp up a bird and make them dance or be more interactive?

Oh and he hardly talks (chirps) at all, like he only makes noise when he is about to jump off where he is or if an animal comes too close for his comfort.

I dont think im stimulating him enough cause he sleeps alot, he will wake up when stuff happens, but then if nothing goes on for 3 min he is back in sleep pose.

BTW he went to bed about 7:30 last night and woke up about 8am this morning.

Name
    Shannon
    Thanks

Re: Sleeps alot

That is pretty normal for Cockatiels. Diego will spend a few hours a day just hanging out with me. He doesn't play with people; Cockatiels pretty much just chill with you.

When he's with me we're usually sitting on the couch. I'll put him on my chest and he usually jumps down and wanders around on the couch. If the dog is up here he'll wander over to her, kiss at her, call her a pretty bird and sing to her. She either sniffs him a lot, or gives me a "mom, please get him the hell away," look and jumps down. He'll sometimes walk over to my hand while I'm on my laptop, do the beak thing (where they move it up and down quickly), call me a pretty bird and sing for me. Or, last thing, is he'll hang out on my chest and stick his head against my chin and make peeping noises. That's after I've scratched his head for ten minutes and refuse to do so anymore. The most interactive thing he does with me is dances. I say "dance!!" and move my hand up and down and he follows the motion of my hand and "dances."

That is what it is like with Diego, and from my experience is normal.

Thanks

couple questions first

How old is he?

how long have you had him?

and are you sure he's a he?

the reason i ask is because normally when they're in a new environment they're not as active, as once they settle in (this can takes days, weeks and some even a month or so)

And females are known to be the Quiet ones of the tiels

is that him in your siggy? Being a Pearl he could be a she - unless you know the parents mutations or had him DNA sexed

here are a few of the toys my babies like to play with

Mine isn't exactly like this but same concept

Bells are a huge hit in my house - all toys must have a bell at the end or a bell hanging some where in the cage

also mine love Beads on a string, If i cover the whole string ( i use the string out of jogging pants/hoodies when they fall out) in beads they do get mad at me They'd prefer 5-6 beads and the rest string, they play with the beads, the string, and most definitely the knot they love untieing it and letting it hit the cage floor

Also a play gym is loved in my house we made our own but They have nice ones at the stores

so something like this

I actually bought this for my love birds, But my hand fed tiels when they were younger Enjoyed it a Lot

or one like this

Name
    Alison
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atvchick95 View Post
    couple questions first

How old is he?

how long have you had him?

and are you sure he's a he?

the reason i ask is because normally when they're in a new environment they're not as active, as once they settle in (this can takes days, weeks and some even a month or so)

And females are known to be the Quiet ones of the tiels

is that him in your siggy? Being a Pearl he could be a she - unless you know the parents mutations or had him DNA sexed
    [/IMG]
    We got him about 3 days ago, he is so totally tame and calm. The store had him for 3 weeks but they dont know how old he was when they got him. The only reason we think he is a he is because the other day he freaked out and started screaming for no reason then he did a cat call whistle (think hot mamma) that im pretty sure he picked up in the pet store. And since boys are usually the ones who do the screaming and mimicing we assumed he was a boy who hasnt molted yet.

http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...ad.php?t=61088

I think i have a handle on the toys, i was just wondering what i could do with him other than just putting him on a perch (since im discouraging the shoulder sitting).

Thanks for the reply of the chillin' 'tiel That is how he seems to be right now. He lets me know that he wants to be moved from where he is by making a chirp and flapping his wings. If i dont move him when he does this then he will jump from where ever he is.

Remove Ads