Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: The Meaning Of A Bad Pet Store...

Thanks

Unhappy The Meaning Of A Bad Pet Store...

Well, as a fun outing, my little cousins, my Mom, and I went to a mall. It's big, and we were all having a lot of fun. I saw a pet store, and heard birds. I had to go, because... Well... It's birds. XP

So we go over there, and this wave of horrible smell hits us about ten feet from the store. I could smell it, and I never am able to smell pet smells. PetCo, PetSmart... Only smell faintly of animals, while they make my Mother wrinkle her nose and urge me to hurry. This store... It smelled horrid.

It was called Aquarium Wholesale. Or something like that...

The appeal of the store from the outside was decent. There was a huge glass aviary with tons of birds, including several yellow Indian Ringnecks, a Jenday Conure, and a Bare Eyed Cockatoo. There was also a Senegal in a small cage in it (parakeet size cage much?) that caused me to do a double-take.

I was slightly disgusted, but I wanted to see it anyways. So we went on in... And I swear, it smelled like death, uncleaned fish tanks, and excrement. It was disgusting.

We walk in, and immediately to my left is a cage of two African Grays. Oh, they were beautiful. One walked right along his perch and started greeting me, begging for scritches... The cage was filthy, the water was filthy. I wanted to rescue him and take him home. In the next cage was empty. :P And in that store, I don't think that was a good thing.

Next to that was a tank, like, a short reptile tank, no more than eight inches high, with Lovies and Budgies mixed together in the same thing. Covered by a mesh top. It was filthy, and they all looked so sad. Farther back in the store, there was a GORGEOUS vibrant red bird. I can't remember what they're called... In a cage too small, next to a cage of Degus and an empty ferret cage.

The Aquariums were in a huge, walk through tunnel. Many were black with algae, no decorations. All these exotic fish. I was amazed that no dead ones were floating around.

Then there were tanks of Cockatiels, similar to the Budgie and Lovie tanks. And three in cages too small, sitting next to a Moluccan cockatoo.

The store was overall disgusting. It was horrid, smelled like uncleaned cages and death. The birds were in horrid conditions, so were the fish. I felt so sorry for all the poor babies.

So... Now I know the meaning of a bad pet store. I've been blessed to walk the aisles of nice chain commercial stores with cleanliness and toys and blissfully happy birds and animals. Well, now I know what a horrid store is.

I just needed to share... Anyone else been into this sort of bad pet store?

And I can't say I'm happy. I don't understand people that treat animals as merchandise without feelings. The thing that upset me was they all looked so sad.

Charlie the Nanday, Pickles the Bratty Budgie , Snowflake (pic coming) the Baby, Ollie and Star the Couple. Sophie, Shiloh, and McSquizzy/Roly the terrible Trio. Goldy the big Baby.

Name
    javi
    Thanks

Re: The Meaning Of A Bad Pet Store...

that sounds terrible. i hate how some stores operate.
    Life without birds, is not a life I could live

Name
    di
    Thanks

I second that one. Are there regulations over there that they are supposed to adhere to that you can report to some sort of governing body about them? camera or phone pics could help with that too and give substance to a complaint.

Name
    Erin
    Thanks

I would report the store to...someone. I couldn't NOT do it. Is there a local SPCA there? Animal welfare? Anything?

That's just depressing.
    Mateo (cockatiel), Chirpa (parakeet), Nigel/la (parakeet), Nico (parakeet), WeeWoo (parakeet) and Peri (parakeet).

Thanks

I don't know about that. XP I had my camera in my purse - I just didn't have the presence of mind to whip it out. Really, the main horrifying things were the lack of toys for the birdies, the filthy tanks, and the stench that nearly knocked me over. :P I don't know what I could do... Won't be going back any time soon. It's over an hour away from where I live.

Charlie the Nanday, Pickles the Bratty Budgie , Snowflake (pic coming) the Baby, Ollie and Star the Couple. Sophie, Shiloh, and McSquizzy/Roly the terrible Trio. Goldy the big Baby.

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

Unfortunately as long as the animals have food and water, than the size or cleanliness of the cage does not matter unless the animal inside is actually physically sick because of it. A lot of pet stores know this because they get SPCA called on them a lot.

I don't like any pet stores in general. We have 3-4 branches of a locally run petstore in Alaska called PetZoo. They are the best pet store I've come across. No dogs or cats (except for the adoptions they host once a week), and no birds larger than a cockatiel in general. However they're still pet stores. Once in awhile you run across a good one but for the most part you won't get the proper information on a pet you find there.

Thanks

The PetCo I go to when I don't need toys or food in bulk is beautiful. They have cats for adoption, and dogs for adoption. Otherwise, it's strictly birds, fish, reptiles, and rodents. They're all kept in large, spacious and pristine cages or glass cases. The parakeets and cockatiels are kept in large numbers, and are thus in very large and spacious glass aviary sort of things, sorta small, but plenty large, considering it's a pet store. Conures are kept in nice sized things with toys. It's always clean, and pretty. I love going there.

So... I was just kind of slapped in the face with this horrid pet store. I stopped going to PetSmart because the cages were too small and dirty, but not too bad... Blah. >.> It was disgusting. And they all had food and water, despite it being dirty.

AKA 'Follyfoot Farm' Tailfeather
    Name
    Mel
    Thanks

if this were in NZ it could be reported and something would have to be done. go on, ask me how i know this..

that really is bad, no other way to describe it. i would be reporting it if i were, even if they do nothing, atleast you know that you did something instead of just sitting back and letting them be. just my 2 cents

Before you ask, yes I am a b!tch...
    But I am an honest b!tch.

Remove Ads