Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: I don't know what to do (Of friends and dwarf hamsters)

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

I don't know what to do (Of friends and dwarf hamsters)

*sigh*

So basically a friend from school got two dwarf hamsters for Christmas, but didn't tell her parents that they were male and female. Fast forward to now. The hamster had babies, she's keeping the male in a shoe box, I told her I could bring a cage but my mom got rid of all our cages.

Our neighbor who we've given tanks and cages to said they have a 29 gal that we could have. I can't exactly lug that to school for my friend, but I'm thinking that I could offer to take the male and then all the male babies (I could help her sex them, it's not that hard and I helped sex baby mice a long time ago). I imagine that maybe 4 hammies could live in a 29 gal? I could even make my own cages out of a sterilite bin, I've seen those before and know I could do it...

However, while my mom understands that I feel like I need to help out and said I could take them, she also said I have to use all my own money (of course, my dad might feel differently...). I don't exactly WANT dwarf hamsters, but I believe that they can eat the same food as my rats, and I mean it's not that hard for me to fit a tank into my room somewhere, I could probably stick it on my bookshelf. Selfishly though I'd rather keep my money to save or put towards clothing or even my current pets.

So maybe some advice about what to do? If I don't take them I think they'll either go to clueless highschool kids or to a petstore, neither of which is very good. But is it bad to take on pets if I don't actually want them??
    Last edited by Little Cricket; 01-27-2009 at 02:48 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: I don't know what do do (Of friends and dwarf hamsters)

LC you have a huge heart for wanting to save these babies. I cant tell you what to do but I can say make sure you really have your parents backing before you decide to take them in because if something did happen to them would you be able to take them to the vets without your parents help? It has to be a family decision and not one that just comes from your heart even though it would be a hard thing to not save them. Maybe you can help your friend find good homes for the babies instead of taking them yourself.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

I don't believe in getting a pet unless you really want it.

How about helping her find someone suitable to take them? You know what to look for in a good owner....or perhaps take them in, then go about finding them a good home yourself?

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

I've always kept them in pairs, and thought they needed to be in them... I would hope that brothers could live together, but who knows I guess.

I feed my rats Harlan Teklad Blocks and Natural Balance vegetarian dog food with Suebee's mix (cereal mix). Would that be okay?

I am thinking that fostering them would be the best, although I have no idea how to go about finding good homes... craigslist? Newspaper? Ad at the vets?

Deanna, my parents really support me when it comes to animals and I have no doubt that they would take me to and pay for the vets. We've had dwarf hamsters in the past and took many of them to the vets when they started to develop tumours (my vet felt that surgery was too risky and given the cost and age of the hamsters we did not have them removed...).

I sent my friend and email but haven't heard back. I might try calling her later tonight or tomorrow...

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

you can make cages out of storage boxes... is that what you mean by sterilite bins?

what type of dwarves are they? i know chinese boys can live together happily, but females can be little boogers after puberty. some are fine, some just arent. i think russians are usually the same, but i've never kept them... just a bit too small for me ya know?

i would be tempted to take them and rehome... make people make a donation to animal shelter or something to prove good intentions? and make sure they go out with a care pamphlet? that's me though... it's my house and i doint have to answer to parents and stuff. boyfriend isnt always too happy, but he can never turn away a needy cause.

hamsters arent hard to look after really.

shame you arent uk... i got some old hamster equipment here i was just chucking out and sending to hamster owning ppl. upstairs were thrilled with the hamster car lol

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Name
    di
    Thanks

Re: I don't know what to do (Of friends and dwarf hamsters)

I too do not believe in taking in pets if you don't want them really as it can also lead to frustrations at times and affect friendships down the road. What if, after all your efforts she decides to put them all together and then there are more babies?

You are also "taking away" her responsibility for her actions by stepping in and removing the problem. I would be helping her house, sex, advise her and helping find homes but not taking them in and doing it all for her.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

LC I know you will make the right decision and I am happy to hear your parents are there for you, I knew they would be because I know how well you take care of all your pets. I also agree with Di though and by taking them away from your friend she will never learn how to truly take care of her other two. What if you take these and she just lets her two back together and she has more babies? I hate it when friends do things like this, you want to support them and be there friend when in your mind you want to strangle them for being so stupid and letting it happen in the first place.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

I thought dwarf hamsters tended to do okay in pairs - better than Syrians...

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

Yeah I agree with you guys... but some people are just unwilling or too lazy to take proper care of a pet. I know because I've fostered birds whos owners knew the proper care but didn't bother. My boss is like that with his Senegal parrot and it's frustrating that there isn't much I can do.

LC Craigslist is good if you keep in mind you WILL get a lot of idiots and improper homes replying. That's actually how I found wonderful foster homes for my birds, though it did take me a couple months. I just always asked lots of questions about what they knew about the pet care, would they be willing to do this and this and this.

And all my experience with dwarfs has taught me that they fight a lot. I think you may be able to keep two adult brothers together.

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

I got an email back from her. She doesn't really want to give up the male because it was a gift but maybe I could convince her.... I don't know yet if she's gotten a new cage. I told her I would be willing to take the male babies to rehome but wasn't sure if I could keep them. I told her I just wanted to help her however I could. She said I could take some of the babies, which I do think I will do.

Di, you bring up a good point that I hadn't really thought about. the thing is, unlike my parents, hers don't really seem to be pet people (she didn't tell her parents that she had a male and female because they would have made her take both back) and don't really seem like they will help her out... Were she an adult I wouldn't be offering to take them, but since she's not, I don't know how much just helping sex them or find homes would help... I would hate to see them go to people who don't know what they're doing...

Name
    di
    Thanks

I do understand what you are saying LC but even a child has to learn from their mistakes and not expect people to step in and solve their problems.

It is a hard one though, I know how you feel about wanting to help, I am like that too.

Name
    Roxy
    Thanks

Too bad you're not near me, I've got a ton of hamster supplies from when I fostered the babies. I'd gladly give it to you if I could.